Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after 5 weeks at the Audi Technical Service Centre, my car is ready to be collected tomorrow.

I would like to say that Audi UK have been brilliant and addressed all of the issues on the car. It will be great to back in a manual R8 again.

They kindly gave me the Dyno info (and 4 wheel alignment data too) and they had the car at 156 mph (248km/h) on the rolling road - that must have been a scary moment!!

So hopefully I will have a nice rear end (pardon the expression) and will be able to get 90L fuel in her amongst other smaller issues.

I look forward to the run in a couple of weeks to Le Mans, then on to the south of France - let's hope it holds together.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Excellent mate, glad it's all worked out ok in the end.

We need to get our act together for the factory/N'ring trip now!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hope all is well now Jon.

I may need to opt out of the factory trip. I got burgled a couple of weeks ago and my car was used in a ram raid against the local Halfords.

Fortunately it was the POLO!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes. In the case of the better cars they get stolen for export and fast saloon/estate cars for ram raids or as getaway cars................

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes. In the case of the better cars they get stolen for export and fast saloon/estate cars for ram raids or as getaway cars................
Weird. You'd think it would be harder to steal cars for export because, well, you're on an island. Don't they have a system to run plates, vins, or even title registration when going to the mainland?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Weird. You'd think it would be harder to steal cars for export because, well, you're on an island. Don't they have a system to run plates, vins, or even title registration when going to the mainland?
Nope you just roll off the ferry or train and thats it :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
See you at Le Mans Jon...finally got all my travel arrangements in place today! Your help on the hotel was critical...many thanks.

How much does 90L of premium fuel cost you in the UK these days? I just put $100US in my R8 for the first time this week...would not surprise me if it was double that now in the UK!?

Sad...but it certainly feels like the golden age that has brought cars like the R8 into production is rapidly fading. We'll probably enter a post 1970 depressed performance timeframe while fuel efficiency gets legislated into reality....these cars will seem outrageous...as if they are not already! Enjoy owning cars like these now...because they won't be around forever.

Hey...not sure where that dark tangent came from...see you at Le Mans Jon and thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ian - sorry to hear about your theft. Glad I have the CCTV and locked keys in a safe at night, but never the less, it's pretty ****.

I will start a new thread on the Factory visit, so that I can get definate numbers and then order the tickets.

Check the posting on the cotswolds, have a locations now

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a brief update after driving since collecting here on Monday evening (3 days) and 800 miles shakedown...

The amount of work that those guys put in was amazing, I have to say that the handling is the best I have expereinced in an R8 (of about 8 I have driven). It really does pay to spend a good number of hours setting up the 4-wheel alignment, and the print-out backs that up.

With all new rear suspension, its behaviour on the road is now amazing.

If you remember I had a 75L tank(s) fitted, and it has now been replaced with the 90L tank option (engine and g-box out). What is wierd, is that the tank is exactly the same size, it just doesn't have a cut-off valve inside it, which made the filler neck believe that the tank was full, when it wasn't!!

Loads of other niggles sorted, and the car will have completed another 500 miles before I set off for Le Mans and then on to southern france next week.

So fingers crossed it all continues to hang together. If you see a stranded R8 next to the A16 or N138, please rescue me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have a great time driving through Europe in your new and improved R8! :)

Mine is still having a few issues from it's previous life.... new discs and pads all round didn't sort out the annoying vibration. So I went to have the wheels balanced and it appears all 4 tyres are deformed, plus neither of the rear wheels are entirely straight! Mmmmm.... that could be it!
Worryingly, the dealer took it for balancing twice after fitting the new discs and they (the tyre place, not the dealer) didn't spot any problems. I could see the wheel wobble from the other side of the workshop..... :eek:

Hopefully I'll have ironed out all the little niggles after that's done. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts