Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stick with VCDS, it's far more powerful than OBD11, and more practical too. You already have VCDS, why not load it up onto a newer laptop? You can log, code, scan, etc but you know this.

Not arguing....genuinely curious. First, I dont have VCDS. But from everything I read the obd 11 will do pretty much everything VCDS will do. Long coding, data logging etc. What specifically is it not capable of doing?

As for micro transactions, you could buy a TON of credits (probably more than you would ever use) for the 1/2 the price difference of the units. You also get free daily credits and for the simple things I have needed, I have yet to have to buy any.

What I do like about OBD11 is it is not VIN locked. I have already used mine on 5 different cars. 2 of mine and helping out friends with the others.

If I were a garage or mechanic, I would probably buy a VIN unlimited VCDS liscense and have a dedicated laptop for it. That starts at $600 (not including the laptop). For the avg enthusiast, I cant see what the downside of the OBD11 is?.... I agree that the cell phone interface may not be as convenient interface as a full size laptop, but I am not making a living with it. It is just a $90 tool that I can get by and get the same info or programming the few times a year I might want to use it.

Help me understand your logic. Are you speaking as a professional shop using everyday? If so, I could totally understand.

·
Registered
670 Posts
for the non-car person it’s fine, you can use it on any car etc. but it’s a mile wide and an inch deep. Vcds is a vag specific, shop level software tool. All of the old CAN USB HEX cables have unlimited vins ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
for the non-car person it’s fine, you can use it on any car etc. but it’s a mile wide and an inch deep. Vcds is a vag specific, shop level software tool. All of the old CAN USB HEX cables have unlimited vins ;)

With all due respect, I think you might be a little confused as to what the OBD11 is. It is not for use on "all vehicles". It reads all the same as the vcds (audi, vw,audi, lambo..etc).

Again, maybe I am uninformed, but from what I understand, it can do all the same things the VCDS can do (long coding, monitoring parameters in real time and record...etc) but it also has a user frleindly 'app' aspect if you dont want to long code...etc.

Like I said, if I were a garage and worked on Audi/Vw every day, I would not want to be doing it from a phone and I would want a dedicated laptop for that purpose.

Regardless, I just wanted to let others know that the OBD11 should not be dismissed as a 'weekend warrior' only tool. It can do all the stuff the 'big boy' tool will do (albeit using your phone as a interface which may not be ideal in a shop setting)

Either way, I agree that having SOME method to access diagnostic is a great idea for ANYONE even if you dont work on cars. I am a hands on type guy. While I cant claim to be solely a 'car-guy' as you put it.... I am not sure there is anything I would not attempt. Even an engine tear down and rebuild. That is pretty simple compared to some of my past projects... I can and have done just about anything mechanically, and I was sharing the OBD11 is not something to just dismiss as a toy.

I have found in all areas, not just cars, people can adopt an elitist attitude like there is only one way to do things, of my favorite is the "best" way people often advise when their true experience in just parroting what has been said by many others. I bought my R8 as something fun, because my 12 yo son loves cars and I have not had a toy for a long time. My ac went out and I diagnosed and fixed and recharged the system myself with a kitchen gram scale. No there is no manual for what I did. (I did fully evacuate the system and put the proper metered charge on it) Mabye at times not being soley a 'car-guy' may be a benefit....

My only purpose for sharing is to help others but I am the first to admit that I am not a car-guy (that would be a far too limiting label for what my interests are)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Had a look at ODB11 - do you know if all functionality is available on iOS devices? The website seemed to suggest the iOS app was in development but might be my misinterpretation!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Quick update
So it was the compressor and I had metal shavings throughout the system. I saved about $1000 on the compressor based on the information on this thread but even with that it was still $1500 in labor and another $700 in small parts fluids etc. so all together still a $3100 repair. I guess it could have been worse. BTW the Denso compressor is identical other than the part number. Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update Car is fixed. Total Bill was $3255.00 with tax plus $399 for the AC Compressor with tax and shipping . So all in it was $3750 total. It would have been another $1000 if it was not for the forum. Thanks Everyone.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts