Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a V10 Spyder with Audi extended warranty / $250 deductible. I've read all the posts I could find. From my understanding:

If it's a big ticket item (like the compressor failed), makes the most sense to let the clowns at my local dealer handle it.

If it's just a recharge, I can handle it. Thanks to omidoo250 for posting the pics: AC recharging

If it's a leak in the system (condenser valve, seals), i'd honestly rather have my indie who is a master tech knock it out.

My questions are
1) are there signs to look for that suggest one problem vs another? lights/noise/etc
2) would you just try a recharge first to see if it works? any downside of trying that?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I had the same problem twice with mine. The first it was a leaking condenser and second time a seal on the valve. Both times my indy found the faults by introducing a dye into the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem twice with mine. The first it was a leaking condenser and second time a seal on the valve. Both times my indy found the faults by introducing a dye into the system.
Did you notice anything beyond the lack of cold air. Any missing lights. Was the fan still blowing?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Nothing different other than blowing warm. Fan still worked and the A/C switch still lit up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just wanted to post an update:
took a good look at it - my lights come on as usual / blows ambient temp air
took it to my indy guy who check the pressure = normal; sprayed some dye in = no leak.
checked for codes = no codes
checked for power to compressor = good
therefore, compressor bad
above diagnostics cost $50
just got the car back from audi. $5k for the repair. i have audi platinum so cost me $250 deductible plus $80 in oil (annoying since i had the oil chanced <100 miles ago)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts