Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Audi dealer called last Monday, and asked if I might like an R8 for the afternoon. It would have been rude to refuse, and so he turned up in a silver manual car, handed me the keys, and asked me to drop him in the town centre. I then had about 3 hours to do what I liked. The car was nothing short of an epiphany. I've owned or driven most fast cars, but this Audi is by far the finest I've experienced. While I would describe the performance as brisk rather than fast, the ride & handling were sensational. The way the car can dive into bends under heavy braking, turn in and then whack out is addictive. Nothing could keep up accross the country. What I really appreciated was that the car felt faster than it was - 100mph felt quite quick, unlike the 997 turbo, which feels (to me) aloof & slightly unconnected. I like this - I want to know I'm going quickly! I also thought that the sound is spot on - I'm a little tired of 'sport exhausts' which open valves to get louder, or which produce a 'whoomp' when starting up. After all, there's no point in looking more of a tosser than I already am..
Another 80-100bhp would be good, but to be honest, the car goes well enough. Fantastic. Only 4 months to go... it's like a prison sentence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wize words mate , the car is a dream to drive !
I had a Ferrari F430 Spider at the weekend and the audi made that look silly.
The R8 is by far the best sports car i have ever driven.

Scott

·
Registered
564 Posts
prison sentence... :D :D
got my feelings spot on ;)

but i hope its only 1 or 2 weeks from now....
thanks for the impressions

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lucky man! . I've just been praising my dealer but they wont let anyone test drive the demonstrator without a staff member going out with them..sucks!. Normally they will just chuck you a set of keys but not with their R8. Know where you are coming from on the "prison sentence" theme. It's proving to be a real tough wait.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Daytona/Oxygen, Black inside. Do you have your car yet?
Yes, picked it up from Perth on Monday. Not had a lot of chance to drive it as have been away the rest of the week on business. However the limited time I have had was very very enjoyable. I went for Silver with Carbon sideblades & Black/Carbon interior which IMHO looks great. My daughter preferred Daytona, I think she wanted me to do a swap in the showroom:) . I do think that oxygen side blades look best with Daytona rather than the standard ones. I know the wait is hard but it is worth it in the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts