Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
First post so be gentle..!
I made the mistake of test driving an R8 last week, now I have to buy one (I wanted one before, now I REALLY want one!).

Big question is - Manual or R Tronic? Both seem to have arguments both ways, but I'm hoping to get some hands on advice from people who actually live with them everyday.

The R8 will be my only car, so it'll get driven most days and in most environments. There will be some time spend on the M25, as well as A & B roads.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
r-tronic vs manual is a personal choice - you'll get people who will argue for and defend either.

Personally I love sequential manuals and the r-tronic suits the engine well giving a really nice flow to driving combined with the sweet handling. My only bugbears being the auto-neutral and kickdown even in manual sport mode. Neither really have a place in what is still supposedly a manual box imo.

I'm still not sold on the merit of the magride, and the hillhold isn't as useful as i thought as it doesn't kick in on slight inclines meaning I now find myself using the handbrake anyway just to be sure.

I'd def spec the new storage option - was too late for me but it would have been useful to have that little bit of extra storage and securing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The backup camera and parking sensors are a huge help for me as I find it is hard to evaluate distance from objects and curb.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coming along for a chat would be a great idea... I will make every effort to get there. Keep an eye out for a red RS4....

I've got my local dealer arranging a drive in an R Tronic so I can see what's what.

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Bear in mind that if you've never driven a sequential manual before it can take a few weeks before it "clicks" into place and feels natural. Also, although it has an automatic mode it's best to just treat that as a bonus rather than as a main driving mode imo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting.... I've not driven a sequential before, so it might not work for me. I have found myself wishing my RS had paddle changes on some occasions though, mainly so I can keep hold of the wheel when I'm going for it.

I guess the test drive will show me what the deal is, and I'll make sure I get a few miles on different types of roads to fully check it's what I want. It is an expensive option so I need to be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I have found myself wishing my RS had paddle changes on some occasions though, mainly so I can keep hold of the wheel when I'm going for it.
that's the main thing for me, plus I find I change gear more often because it's so easy to be in the right gear at the right time - but it's certainly not for everyone. Just real glad we get a choice with the r8.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Are you buying new? If so see if you can get on a driving day that Audi run at Rockingham and Oulton Park.

I liked both R-tronic and manual in different ways but went the cheap option and apart from the cold hands on a freezing morning it is a choice I am happy with

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buying new, yes. My local friendly Audi dealer is happy to let me try the 2 cars though, and in the end it may just come down to £££ anyway. There are going to be more important things to spend the cash on than a sequential gearbox. However, I'm always keen to get it right first time, even if I have to go the extra pounds to do so... 'cheaping' out can be costly in the end sometimes. I don't want to be having the "I wish I had/hadn't got...." feeling after parting with 90 grand! Not good...

I will put up my options list for your amusement later this week, and any comments on that would be appreciated.

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts