Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was truly a one of a kind day as I picked up the R8. On my 60 mile trip from the dealer to home, the 'add a quart of oil' message came up about 8 miles from home and then the oil indicator and the MIN next to it. I called the dealer and he said dont panic, the service manager would call me on Monday. Could this just be a computer glitch?

I have attached a pic with me nose to nose with a buddy I ran into on the way home. Considering I was 125mph, it was comforting to know I had friends in high places

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Have you checked the oil level manually via the dipstick following the "warmed engine>2 min idle>2 min off>read" procedure?

also, are there just delivery miles + 60 on the car?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Not sure if you have a glitch but it seems a little bit unusual after only 60 miles.

My R8 took its first oil top up at around 500 kmhs then 1500,2500.4500 and then stabilised with the next one at 9500.

All the aboves were with the oil light min coming on.

Good luck..and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the oil level manually via the dipstick following the "warmed engine>2 min idle>2 min off>read" procedure?

also, are there just delivery miles + 60 on the car?
I have the car all of about 6 hours and havent gotten into too many procedures at this point. I just cant stop walking into my garage and staring it at it! Goddam it man... that is one gorgeous car. The pictures are impressive but in person, this car simply takes your breath away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats. She's a beauty.
I picked mine up 2 weeks ago, had it warn me to add 1 qt. after only 300 miles.
She has almost 1400 mi on her now and not a complaint about oil. Dipstick shows some usage, but not major. I spoke with my service manager and he said not to worry, add 1qt Castrol Syntec 5W-40. Mainly I found it's important to relax and just enjoy the car...after reading everything on the site it can make you crazy. Lots of internet hysteria, speculation and hype. Audi makes a great vehicle and with minor and unusual exceptions it should last a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I have the car all of about 6 hours and havent gotten into too many procedures at this point.
might be worth while doing it then as that would help you determine if it is a computer glitch or not before you speak to the service manager.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Maybe some debate on the type of oil... as my dealer recommends Full Synthetic 5-30w for top ups(Castrol)

As well it must meet VW spec 502/505

I just had my R8 serviced and they used a long life oil as per below which apparently is only available thru dealerships

SLX Professional is a fully Synthetic Motor Oil and meets European standard
505 01 .
The 505.01 engine oil is specifically formulated to ensure protection of the
cam lobes that drive the unit injectors. High loading requires the proper
level of antiwear protection. In turn it needs to ensure that 505.01 is
utilized for this engine design. The cam shafts are mechanically driven and
assist in the build up of fuel pressure in each injector.
SLX Professional is a branded product only available
through AUDI/VW Dealerships.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still feel that way after more than one year :)
Driving home, windows of a few other cars were flying open and people were fist pumpimg as I went by. Teens were climbing over back seats of SUV's to stare at me at red lights... mouths agape. I was neck and neck with an S6 for awhile, which is no slouch, and we were both smiles ear to ear.

I live a few miles from a brand new, one of a kind country club track (http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/) and we see some wild stuff drive by from SLR's to Carrera GT's. Someone even saw the mighty Veyron. The R8 garners as much attention as them.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
russman,
It sounds like you should read the break-in procedure in the manual. I know I needed to read it. The car is sooooooo much fun it almost makes you wet your pants. Enjoy.

Did you get a ticket? A friend was taken to jail for doing 111 in a 65. Handcuffs and the whole deal. That is not funny.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
russman,
It sounds like you should read the break-in procedure in the manual. I know I needed to read it. The car is sooooooo much fun it almost makes you wet your pants. Enjoy.

Did you get a ticket? A friend was taken to jail for doing 111 in a 65. Handcuffs and the whole deal. That is not funny.
Break-in seems pretty straight forward... vary the speeds and dont go past 6000 rpm's. At 125 in 6th, I dont think I was over 5000rpm.

As luck would have it, my passanger on delivery day was one of my closest friends who is a NYS Police Sargeant. The picture was from the State Police barracks where we stopped to snap some pic's and see a few of his/my buddies. If we were to get pulled over, it would have been by one of his subordinates. Without him in the car, I will be MUCH less brazen. I dont know if all the stickers and business cards of other Troopers will help if Im pegged at 100+. "Who you know" only takes you so far when a trooper is approaching your car with his gun at your open window. The worst part is that they impound your car and that means calling so knucklehead towtruck who will most certainly be ill-prepared to tow an R8 properly but will anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Russman,
It sounds like you have the break-in covered and a nice guardian angel. I am going crazy with my car in storage for the winter. In MN many are cold...few are frozen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts