Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i went to my local audi dealer to get 1 litre of oil, which the cars computer told me it needed.

I was told that it cannot just be added, but has to be taken into the workshop for 30 mins (which would inc a 30 minute labour charge) to have it put on a machine to make sure the exact amount goes in.

With £105/hr rates that my local dealer charges, to top up with 1 litre of oil inc parts would have cost nearly £70 ($140)

So, I bought the oil only, and am tempted just to pour it in

What do you think .. do i really have to have audi do this simple task?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
That sounds like rubbish.

I actually put oil in mine for the second time yesterday - 1st was at 1,111 the 2nd at 2,950 miles.

I did as per the manual and as per last time:

after the car was up to temp from being ran on a journey, ran the car at idle for 2 mins, switched the car off and waited 2 mins. Took a dipstick reading and it was in the fill section so added a full 1 litre bottle of oil which took it most of the way into the do not fill section. Job done.

the manual covers this on page 152 and it is explicit that you can do it yourself:

oil level in area b [fill]
Add 1 litre of oil > page 152. after topping up the oil level should be in area a [do not fill]
the idea that you need to pay a service engineer to do this is laughable.

You can buy the oil from elsewhere too - castrol edge 5w30 which meets the 504 00 requirement as per the manual and is the recommended oil on the castrol site for the r8 too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In Korea they would fill for me and not charging a cent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What a lot of bullshit!!

Contact Audi in your country and report them for being thieves!!

They'll be telling you it needs its fuel filling by a professional (???) next!

Andy M

·
Registered
943 Posts
That's complete bullshit. My dealer even gave me a free qt for when I need to top it off. The car tells you when you need to do it and it tells you exactly how in the manual.

Read it again, but I'm pretty sure you let the oil warm up to about 200C, idle for two minutes, turn it off, stick the dip stick, add oil, check dip stick again. Once the oil level is in the do not fill section, youre good to go.

You dealer is lying big time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, the car is now filled up :)

The guy at the dealer spooked me as he said the R8 had no disptick, hence having to put it on there machines to get the exact levels.

Stupid me, believed him till I just checked the owners manual.

I'm going to call the dealer and speak to the service manager, his staff are, to say the least, misinfomed!

It was Listers Audi, in Solihull, West Midlands btw.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
even engines without dipsticks (eg the bmw m6) are able to be filled up manually based off the electric oil reading. Mind you, I had major problems with the electric reading on mine and the bmw dealer managed to overfill it, god bless the r8 dipstick :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
first of all the r8 has a dipstick, second of all i would use this dipstick to stick it up the dealers a**.

Maybe he reads the dealers manual .

I hate to hear stories like this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
please do me a favor and take this pictures or take your car to the dealer and asked him what this strange metal thing is for............maybe he will tell you that this stick is to measure the condensed water in the exhaust.

Then get you money back

and still stick the dipstick up his a**

·
Registered
943 Posts
Noticed you have a green R8 Ti-Mike. Any pics in direct sunlight? Would love to see how it looks when bright. Perhaps in front of a lovely villa on the lake ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Noticed you have a green R8 Ti-Mike. Any pics in direct sunlight? Would love to see how it looks when bright. Perhaps in front of a lovely villa on the lake ;)
there are some pics he took on his way to Monaco!!! Nice...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The guy at the dealer spooked me as he said the R8 had no disptick, hence having to put it on there machines to get the exact levels. .....
QUOTE]

They (the service staff) have to be having a laugh & a pint or two or three or ..... well I bet there is no "full" mark on their dipsticks, down at the local pub this weekend :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts