Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all,

What advice would you guys give in terms of allowing the r8 to keep most of its value or even appreciate in the coming years?

I have a v8 spyder in Manual. I’m going to keep the mileage down as much as I can. I don’t intend to make any changes to the engine in terms of turbocharging etc. Not sure about appearance modifications just yet. Any advice or opinions will be great!

·
Registered
77 Posts
In my opinion, very few cars appreciate in any meaningful way. I wouldn't buy an R8 as an investment vehicle (pun intended). Get a decent one and drive it. They hold their value well, so you won't be out a ton.

As the old saying goes, not driving a car is like not banging your girlfriend so the next guy will find her attractive. Get something you enjoy and enjoy it!

-td (just my $0.02, but probably worth less)

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
As I'm sure everyone will respond here, there's no crystal ball that will tell us future value trends. That said, there are some good reasons to believe the R8 will continue to be sought after - whatever that translates to in value? Who knows.

- Maintain it as it's supposed to be maintained. Don't skimp. PROACTIVELY care for the car versus reacting to things that go to waste.

- Keep the mileage reasonable. That doesn't mean "don't drive it." Cars that don't get driven are difficult to maintain and can have their own issues. Keep it exercised, but don't daily drive it.

- Keep up with the condition aesthetically. Be cognizant of the paint, leather, metals, etc. Take proactive measures here, again.

- Keep records - ALL records.

- Don't modify it. If you do, ensure the modification is able to be undone without damage or side-effects, and you're keeping all original parts.

- Don't drive it through adverse weather conditions - primarily snow with road salt.

There's a lot more that can be said here, and I'm sure others will chime in, but don't forget to just enjoy the car, too. Again, I think the R8 will naturally be a sought-after car for many years to come. But there will also be some really ratty looking examples because most people don't have experience keeping up a car for decades - they're used to using and disposing of them, so REAL upkeep doesn't come naturally to many people. But don't lock it away in a garage, either - drive it and enjoy it... just being responsible about it at the same time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As I'm sure everyone will respond here, there's no crystal ball that will tell us future value trends. That said, there are some good reasons to believe the R8 will continue to be sought after - whatever that translates to in value? Who knows.

- Maintain it as it's supposed to be maintained. Don't skimp. PROACTIVELY care for the car versus reacting to things that go to waste.

- Keep the mileage reasonable. That doesn't mean "don't drive it." Cars that don't get driven are difficult to maintain and can have their own issues. Keep it exercised, but don't daily drive it.

- Keep up with the condition aesthetically. Be cognizant of the paint, leather, metals, etc. Take proactive measures here, again.

- Keep records - ALL records.

- Don't modify it. If you do, ensure the modification is able to be undone without damage or side-effects, and you're keeping all original parts.

- Don't drive it through adverse weather conditions - primarily snow with road salt.

There's a lot more that can be said here, and I'm sure others will chime in, but don't forget to just enjoy the car, too. Again, I think the R8 will naturally be a sought-after car for many years to come. But there will also be some really ratty looking examples because most people don't have experience keeping up a car for decades - they're used to using and disposing of them, so REAL upkeep doesn't come naturally to many people. But don't lock it away in a garage, either - drive it and enjoy it... just being responsible about it at the same time.
Well said EZ....I agree on driving her and not just letting her sit instead....not driving your R8 is like not banging your hot wife so the next guy can....I think that's how the saying goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So how does an aftermarket exhaust come into play here?
Would most buyers say that adds or subtracts value?

Cheers,
NAV

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like others have mentioned, this is not the car that will appreciate. While this is a notable car, there are plenty out there and they continue to make them. You’re paying for it, drive it and enjoy it. Even if it sat in a garage and kept low miles, this car still will not make you money.

Of all the cars I have or had, I’ve driven all of them. My enjoyment is the car and using it. Not making money on it. That’s just me.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s going to depreciate, not appreciate. Spiders even more so. In fact, I have a V10 manual which probably has a better chance of not depreciating as badly vs a V8. But in the past 45 days alone V10 manuals have dipped hard, and a couple are going for below $85k right now (USA). This would have been unheard of this spring when multiple buyers were going for my V10 at $97k. I have been following prices closely and prices are dropping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It’s going to depreciate, not appreciate. Spiders even more so. In fact, I have a V10 manual which probably has a better chance of not depreciating as badly vs a V8. But in the past 45 days alone V10 manuals have dipped hard, and a couple are going for below $85k right now (USA). This would have been unheard of this spring when multiple buyers were going for my V10 at $97k. I have been following prices closely and prices are dropping.
This is a seasonal price adjustment, let’s look at the next spring and we shall see a spike again.
To the original poster, being a V8 your car will be in the middle of demand. Like others have said maintain it with records and OEM parts, keep mods conservative and drive it. If you decide to sell, 30k miles or 60kmile would not make a big difference for your model. General condition and history would.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
So how does an aftermarket exhaust come into play here?
Would most buyers say that adds or subtracts value?

Cheers,
NAV
I think this is the one exception to the 'don't mod it' rule as they really need one to find their voice.

·
Vendor
14 Posts
I have a v8 spyder in Manual. I’m going to keep the mileage down as much as I can. I don’t intend to make any changes to the engine in terms of turbocharging etc. Not sure about appearance modifications just yet. Any advice or opinions will be great!
If you start making mods, keep the original parts. That way if you go to sell your car you can put the original parts back to revert the car back in stock form. You will probably get more money by selling the aftermarket parts one-off vs having them be included on the car when sold.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
This advice is not just worth 2 cents, it's priceless! ;)

Drive your car as often as you want, just don't abuse it or mod it silly.

As the old saying goes, not driving a car is like not banging your girlfriend so the next guy will find her attractive. Get something you enjoy and enjoy it!

-td (just my $0.02, but probably worth less)

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 on the exhaust. If the new buyer doesn't like the sound, he/she can get an OEM exhaust for almost nothing. People are virtually giving them away. I saw one recently for like 200 bucks...

-td

·
Registered
773 Posts
ppf front nose and consider at least partial hood/fenders

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Drive the car and keep it good condition.
My car is a 2011 spyder v10 manual .
And had a offer of 115K.recently ..IM the original owner and have under 2000 miles.
So for the guy earlier saying these cars are crashing....yes the junk r8 will crash.
But the good ones will always get all the money...Cars are not investments.
Unless you own hyper cars like Paganis ,Bugattis ,Laferrari...etc

·
Registered
580 Posts
i am sorry to say, r8 is a driver's car it's not really a good collectors for appreciation purposes. Maybe it will be, but you are talking 20 years later or longer. Imagine all the fun you are missing out in 20 years by not driving it! Unless you are one of those that doesnt like to drive, but just like to look at it. Then yes follow everything that Emaazz said and you should be good

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like others have mentioned, this is not the car that will appreciate. While this is a notable car, there are plenty out there and they continue to make them.
Agree definitely about a car is for enjoying first and foremost. But there are possible opportunities for this car - I was just in Audi main dealer today and discussing the cars with someone who clearly knows a lot about it. As Audi have officially stopped putting R&D into R8's, they have all but stopped production in real terms. So the R8 becomes a particular model that was only made for a decade or so, which they said will bolster the residual value.
The other thing someone told me about recently is that a possible indicator is that you can look at when a car first came out, in what year, and then when those of that generation- who were 20-30 - are now turning 40ish they tend to be interested in buying a dream car from their younger years, and generally in a better position to do so. So over the next decade or so the R8 will be in that zone, while also being an end of an era car for Audi.

But yeah as someone said here, like with anything in terms of used car market, it's always the most immaculately kept ones that do well, but you have to be honest with yourself, as the cost of maintaining it over the years to that standard might be more than any appreciation in value, so it's never going to be a true profit owning one of these things! Might be possible to break even tho!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
As I said in an earlier post.

Love the car, keep it, enjoy it, it will become priceless to you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts