Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I feel silly, but this is the only place I can ask. I have Gen 1 Audi R8 V8 2009 R-tronic with Capristo Exhaust. When I first got the car (exhaust was already installed), it sounded like this:

Previously:

1. Rumble/growl when you first start accelerating (up until 2,000 RPMs for example)
2. From 2,000 till 5,000 RPMs it would suddenly quiet down, and it wouldn't really make much noise or an exhaust note, and the engine/exhaust would just sound like it was "spooling up"
3. After 5,000+ RPMs it got loud suddenly again, and sound like a growl mixed with a trumpet

Currently:

I went for a longer and faster drive for the first time in the R8 a couple days ago and actually pushed the car for the first time. I also went over a speed bump, and the car scraped the bottom and thumped the car a bit, but overall, nothing super major.

Since then (not necessarily immediately after the speed bump, but at least by the end of the longer drive), the exhaust sounds:

1. Overall louder (a little too loud at the beginning?)
2. Rumble/growl from start all the way through the RPM range (no more empty "spooling up" range)
3. Less trumpety sound, more of a mature growl all the way through
4. Downshifting crackles a lot more

My question is:

Is this what the Capristo Exhaust on is supposed to sound like? Or did I unhinge something?

I've seen some pictures/videos of a remote control to open/close Capristo exhausts before. But I don't think I have such a remote control.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like your exhaust has a vaccum valve which opens under acceleration and cold start. You may have damaged a valve/ vacuum hose so it stays open all of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll ask about the vacuum valve! Question: Do you know if all Capristo exhausts for R8 V8 are supposed to come with a remote control? I didn't receive a remote from the previous owner, so just assumed my exhaust didn't have one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't know what parts to order to fix this kind of thing, so I guess I would have to rely on the shop I go to to handle all of that for me? Really appreciate all the insight, everybody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts