Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang - Ive made the decision to sell my Gen 2 after only 3 months of ownership. Ive put 5K miles on the car and I'm not connecting with the car in the same way I did with my Gen1. I'm trying hard not to compare the two, but it's difficult not to do. The Gen2 feels like any other Audi with a ton of power.

Wondering if others have had a similar experience shifting between the Gen1 and Gen2.

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are probably subtle differences in the gearboxes. Wish I could describe it more appropriately, but the feeling I keep coming back to is that it feels "pedestrian" - I just drove it down to West Virginia and back and stepped out at the end of the drive feeling like I just drove a really fast A6. Felt totally different after my long drives to South Carolina in the Gen1. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
117 Posts
Maybe time to get into a manual car for a more engaging drive. I think my next car will be a manual like a Lotus Emira or Cayman GT4/GTS

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
or maybe it's just the Carolinas - I'm in Greenville ...

• Haha
Reactions: melland and GR8NJR8

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting. Well, good luck with the sale :) Can't force yourself to like a car you're not jiving with.

This is somewhat of a blessing in disguise though. It gives you a chance to clear your head and take your time to find the next car. The answer is different for everyone, and that's what makes it fun.

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
117 Posts
There are probably subtle differences in the gearboxes. Wish I could describe it more appropriately, but the feeling I keep coming back to is that it feels "pedestrian" - I just drove it down to West Virginia and back and stepped out at the end of the drive feeling like I just drove a really fast A6. Felt totally different after my long drives to South Carolina in the Gen1. 🤷‍♂️
You can also try to see if a transmission tune can change the car. VF Engineering just came out with one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Trade my Gen1 for your Gen2? 😂🤣😂
Just kidding... I strapped a turbo to my Gen1 V8 and OH MAN is it addicting!!!
@Single_snail_R8

Post pics of your Gen2, please...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Manual time.

Reactions: GR8NJR8

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@RNLabas I'm more familiar with your neighbor "Sparkle City" Spartanburg. Have family there. The long drives were always down to Aiken. Love me some Greenville though.

I think some of you hit on the manual idea. That very well may be the engaging experience I'm seeking.
There is also something to be said for the interior. It's perfect in every way for an everyday supercar, but I'm not using it everyday and want it to be a unique experience when I am in the car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trade my Gen1 for your Gen2? 😂🤣😂
Just kidding... I strapped a turbo to my Gen1 V8 and OH MAN is it addicting!!!
@Single_snail_R8

Post pics of your Gen2, please...
There are pics under my account. I think you just need to go into my user account and gallery.

Reactions: rwtzero

·
Registered
269 Posts
At the risk of seeming droll to post this link again, I can't help but think of this video - you're apparently not alone.

Hoping this means you'll have another Gen 1 soon enough. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the risk of seeming droll to post this link again, I can't help but think of this video - you're apparently not alone.

Hoping this means you'll have another Gen 1 soon enough. ;)
Literally watched that a dozen times over the past few months.. :)
Love that video. I'm going to be shopping around but a Gen1 V10 manual may be the drug I'm searching for.

Reactions: torqueit

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
@RNLabas I'm more familiar with your neighbor "Sparkle City" Spartanburg. Have family there. The long drives were always down to Aiken. Love me some Greenville though.

I think some of you hit on the manual idea. That very well may be the engaging experience I'm seeking.
There is also something to be said for the interior. It's perfect in every way for an everyday supercar, but I'm not using it everyday and want it to be a unique experience when I am in the car.
Next time you're in the hood, drop in to see me at Audi Greenville ...

Reactions: GR8NJR8

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is it power delivery? Ride quality? Were both cars S-Tronic?

Maybe soundtrack? I just did the exhaust on my 21 and it's more obvious how EU laws have destroyed the sound of the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went from 2010 V10 R-Tronic to 2021 V10. There is no comparo between the two - 2021 is vastly superior car to me, in every aspect. Faster, less wind noise, less steering effort, 10+ years more modern inside, louder on WOT, more quiet in comfort mode. The only thing I miss from the 2010 is slightly better ride quality on the 19" wheels.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went from 2010 V10 R-Tronic to 2021 V10. There is no comparo between the two - 2021 is vastly superior car to me, in every aspect. Faster, less wind noise, less steering effort, 10+ years more modern inside, louder on WOT, more quiet in comfort mode. The only thing I miss from the 2010 is slightly better ride quality on the 19" wheels.
Well you had an R-Tronic prior, which is a subpar transmission when compared to the S-Tronic on the facelift Gen1's or the Gen2's - So I understand your experience there. The interior is better, but I'm not exactly searching for an interior when buying a "fun supercar" for occasional use. But I do agree, the interior is wildly improved over the Gen1's.

Was chatting with some folks earlier in a local club and I mentioned that my Gen2 has the Dynamic Steering option. This may be taking away from some of the "feel" and lack of connection.

Reactions: melland

·
Registered
2008 R8 V8 RTronic
20 Posts
Sometimes you fall out of love, 💔 that's life right. . . More interestingly what do you think you will replace it with? :unsure:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts