Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sometimes you fall out of love, 馃挃 that's life right. . . More interestingly what do you think you will replace it with? :unsure:
This is true. I really miss my Gen1 V8 R8. It had the perfect balance in my opinion. Not too sure on what's next, which is really exciting. Could be a 997.2 GT3, could be a Gen1 V10 MT, could be a Toyota Prius. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: monkeybrain1234

Registered
sorry to hear you come to this conclusion but better to recognize it and move on. life is too short to drive a car you dont fully enjoy

Registered
Sorry to hear. I went from 14 V8 to 18 V10 to 22 V10. While I loved the 14, the gen 2 is a whole different level of supercar. Looking at a black gen 1 vs. gen 2 side by side this week, the gen 1 has more character but outdated.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? That will certainly amplify the driving experience!

Reactions: bpans2

Premium Member
I鈥檝e got a manual gen 1 V8, but I sometimes wonder if this is how I will feel about my new Huracan once I get it, since it鈥檚 basically the same as a gen2 R8. Fortunately it鈥檚 a RWD at least.

Registered
I've been contemplating ordering a 22 RWD coupe, but posts like yours make me reconsider. I love that V10 but I also love manual cars. Gated v10 gen 1's are crazy expensive now and they are getting a little long in the tooth...the last couple I drove (a 2014 and a 2012) felt like old cars...which they are. I tend to prefer newer cars that are tight and crisp.

I am torn between a new manual cayman GTS 4.0 or Emira v6 manual vs a gen 2 R8...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've been contemplating ordering a 22 RWD coupe, but posts like yours make me reconsider. I love that V10 but I also love manual cars. Gated v10 gen 1's are crazy expensive now and they are getting a little long in the tooth...the last couple I drove (a 2014 and a 2012) felt like old cars...which they are. I tend to prefer newer cars that are tight and crisp.

I am torn between a new manual cayman GTS 4.0 or Emira v6 manual vs a gen 2 R8...
After talking to some folks locally that are fellow Gen2 owners, I think there are a couple of variables at play here that may be the root of my experience, of which the Dynamic Steering package seems to top the list.

Everyone that I have spoken to that has a Gen2 WITHOUT the Dynamic Steering package says it's an extremely well connected experience and almost identical to the Gen1. Perhaps a Gen2 without this package would be worth trying before snapping up my next car.

Anyone here have an opinion on the Dynamic Steering?

Found this old thread on Dynamic Steering: Dynamic Steering Questions

Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
IMHO if you鈥檙e bottomline for dropping $200k on a car boils down to dynamic steering option鈥︹..bank the $ buy the Prius and put an end to this hopeless thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
IMHO if you鈥檙e bottomline for dropping $200k on a car boils down to dynamic steering option鈥︹..bank the $ buy the Prius and put an end to this hopeless thread.
Appreciate the feedback. Part of why I have owned 2 R8's now is because of the community. We come here to chat about R8 topics and certainly share our individual stories of ownership. Luckily, I didn't spend the $200K on this one. Maybe if I did, I would have had a different experience. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I might be willing to trade a Gen 1 Spyder gated 6 speed with 636HP for ya.
Hey! That would have been awesome. Already have a buyer and I'm delivering it tonight. BUT perhaps it's worth talking about when you're ready to part ways with yours. :)

Registered
Thing I love about the r tronic is to protect the trans from itself you鈥檙e always engaging always keeping an eye on it making sure it鈥檚 good (at least if you don鈥檛 want to nuke it ) where as stronic or any other dct/at car you just space out and it handles it so I鈥檇 guess you鈥檙e missing that constant engagement which is akin to manual in a sense

I鈥檝e noticed that with A few of my newer cars you just space out and go vs my rtronic I鈥檓 determined to take care of it

Premium Member

Keeping that "tight and crisp" experience is important to me, as well. This is why it's important to refresh a car's complete suspension from time to time. Swapping out shocks, springs, control arms, all ball joints, etc. It's amazing how quickly that makes a car feel new again. Unfortunately on a car like the R8, that's a very expensive proposition!

As for the OP -

I do think all newer cars may start to suffer the same fate. The better the engineering gets, the more insulated the experience becomes IMHO. Part of this is due to necessity, though. When the performance envelope is constantly increasing, but you're still driving within the same parameters, you're using less and less of the total headroom. Once upon a time, we were able to drive a sports car at full tilt. You were on the hairy edge of its capabilities. But slowly that envelope has grown, and you're not able to keep up with it on a public road... or, honestly, with "mortal" driving skills.

A car that's capable of 200mph+... safely, all day long... well, it may start to feel a bit pedestrian even at 100mph. But, it would be a disservice to suggest it's just all about speed thresholds. Clearly, it's not. All of the engineering - whether chassis rigidity, steering, ride control, cornering ability, traction - it's all constantly improving... and maybe improving to the point of being super impressive on paper, but unless you're able to push it well beyond legal limits (at a track, let's say), the envelope you ARE able to use becomes increasingly muted... insulated from excitement.

Just a theory.

Reactions: Ironman007

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Keeping that "tight and crisp" experience is important to me, as well. This is why it's important to refresh a car's complete suspension from time to time. Swapping out shocks, springs, control arms, all ball joints, etc. It's amazing how quickly that makes a car feel new again. Unfortunately on a car like the R8, that's a very expensive proposition!

As for the OP -

I do think all newer cars may start to suffer the same fate. The better the engineering gets, the more insulated the experience becomes IMHO. Part of this is due to necessity, though. When the performance envelope is constantly increasing, but you're still driving within the same parameters, you're using less and less of the total headroom. Once upon a time, we were able to drive a sports car at full tilt. You were on the hairy edge of its capabilities. But slowly that envelope has grown, and you're not able to keep up with it on a public road... or, honestly, with "mortal" driving skills.

A car that's capable of 200mph+... safely, all day long... well, it may start to feel a bit pedestrian even at 100mph. But, it would be a disservice to suggest it's just all about speed thresholds. Clearly, it's not. All of the engineering - whether chassis rigidity, steering, ride control, cornering ability, traction - it's all constantly improving... and maybe improving to the point of being super impressive on paper, but unless you're able to push it well beyond legal limits (at a track, let's say), the envelope you ARE able to use becomes increasingly muted... insulated from excitement.

Just a theory.
Certainly agree with you there EZ. Which is why I loved the V8 with the S-Tronic gearbox. I felt like I was using 100% of what the car had to offer.

Now that I'm R8'less.. I took my Wrangler for my morning coffee and was able to use 100% of it's power the entire ride :ROFLMAO: - I'll be on the hunt for the next toy.

Registered
Just a theory.
Your theory is fairly factual, as cars have and tend to become more capable, the driver will inevitably be taken farther away from the experience of driving. There is so much power and grip in modern day sports cars that you can't really enjoy them at ten tenths on public roads and explore their potential.

Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
I went from 2010 V10 R-Tronic to 2021 V10. There is no comparo between the two - 2021 is vastly superior car to me, in every aspect. Faster, less wind noise, less steering effort, 10+ years more modern inside, louder on WOT, more quiet in comfort mode. The only thing I miss from the 2010 is slightly better ride quality on the 19" wheels.
I fully agree here
i owned 2 gen1 V10 R8s, both 6 speed manual, one was a coupe, the other a spider. I鈥檝e now owned by gen2 spider for exactly 6 months, and it is on a completely different level from the gen1 R8 in every way

Registered
I fully agree here
i owned 2 gen1 V10 R8s, both 6 speed manual, one was a coupe, the other a spider. I鈥檝e now owned by gen2 spider for exactly 6 months, and it is on a completely different level from the gen1 R8 in every way
sounds like you are quite happy with the move, which is awesome. So overall you enjoy the gen 2 more, despite the DCT and more muted sound?

Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
Your theory is fairly factual, as cars have and tend to become more capable, the driver will inevitably be taken farther away from the experience of driving. There is so much power and grip in modern day sports cars that you can't really enjoy them at ten tenths on public roads and explore their potential.
You never could friend, never ever. This has been a fact for a very long time.
Back when they came out, had a 鈥 78 Porsche 930. Cemeteries are full of guys that tried that on public roads.
60%-70% was about it for mere mortals. Most std 911 total losses were usually ass end first into the weeds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
21 - 40 of 59 Posts