Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
183 Posts
sounds like you are quite happy with the move, which is awesome. So overall you enjoy the gen 2 more, despite the DCT and more muted sound?
Gen2 sound is awesome if you buy it in USA or Canada.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I fully agree here
i owned 2 gen1 V10 R8s, both 6 speed manual, one was a coupe, the other a spider. I’ve now owned by gen2 spider for exactly 6 months, and it is on a completely different level from the gen1 R8 in every way
in good or bad ways?

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice car
Just to point any interested parties towards my Gen2, it is now for sale: https://brooklynautoonline.com/vdp/...-V10-quattro-7A-for-sale-in-Brooklyn-NY-11218
It is not on consignment, it was purchased two days ago by the dealer.
Just to point any interested parties towards my Gen2, it is now for sale: https://brooklynautoonline.com/vdp/...-V10-quattro-7A-for-sale-in-Brooklyn-NY-11218
It is not on consignment, it was purchased two days ago by the dealer.

I have a Fidelity 6yr/60K mile warranty for it, that I would be willing to sign over to the new owner. Just let me know if you are the new owner and we can figure it out.
I think the Fidelity warranty may not transfer if the car sells through a dealer...you should check on it. If it doesn't transfer, you should be able to get a pro-rated refund on remaining months. BTW, nice color!

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,050 Posts
in good or bad ways?
Only good
Can’t think of one thing that the gen1 did better, other than being a manual which I’m personally over and okay with given how incredible the S Tronic is in the gen 2

Reactions: bpans2

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
sounds like you are quite happy with the move, which is awesome. So overall you enjoy the gen 2 more, despite the DCT and more muted sound?
Ecstatic would be a better word!
It’s an insane car, I thought I would be somewhat bored as it’s my third 3rd R8 (but first gen2) and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I absolutely think I enjoyed the last 6 months of gen2 ownership more than my Gen1s.
As for the muted sound, not at all. The gen2 with the sport exhaust is significantly louder than a gen1 with the factory exhaust. On top of that, I went with the Quicksilver exhaust and now it’s just on another level of loud.
Here’s a quick video I made for Quicksilve

Reactions: baege and bpans2

·
Registered
06 S4 Avant, 11 A6 Avant, 14 R8 V8, other German stuff
24 Posts
Maybe time to get into a manual car for a more engaging drive. I think my next car will be a manual like a Lotus Emira or Cayman GT4/GTS
I recently sold a 2016 GT4, never bonded with it, previously owned 996 GT3 and 360 Modena 3 pedal car. I LIKE my 2014 R8 with "PDK" transmission.
I still have my S4 Avant for 3 pedal fix :)
Try to drive a GT4 extensively before you buy.

I posted this on RL.

6 months of ownership - what I liked and didn't. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

·
Registered
721 Posts
Only good
Can’t think of one thing that the gen1 did better, other than being a manual which I’m personally over and okay with given how incredible the S Tronic is in the gen 2
huh good to know. i do wonder about upgrading from time to time

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went from 2010 V10 R-Tronic to 2021 V10. There is no comparo between the two - 2021 is vastly superior car to me, in every aspect. Faster, less wind noise, less steering effort, 10+ years more modern inside, louder on WOT, more quiet in comfort mode. The only thing I miss from the 2010 is slightly better ride quality on the 19" wheels.
If looking for an improved ride, my first impressions with the Audi Sport 3-way coil over setup is nothing but praise.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I'll put in my 2 cents. I have an 08 with manual trans. If you want an engaging drive, get an R8 manual trans. If you want a carnival ride, get the latest and greatest R8 and hang on. As others have said, today's cars are just that much more capable, but the experience is more insulated. It is far more fun to drive an underpowered car at 10/10th than a fast and powerful car at 5/10th. That's why Miata's are so fun to drive. Love my 08 R8.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'll put in my 2 cents. I have an 08 with manual trans. If you want an engaging drive, get an R8 manual trans. If you want a carnival ride, get the latest and greatest R8 and hang on. As others have said, today's cars are just that much more capable, but the experience is more insulated. It is far more fun to drive an underpowered car at 10/10th than a fast and powerful car at 5/10th. That's why Miata's are so fun to drive. Love my 08 R8.
There is a lot of truth to this IMHO. I offer the following to support this thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
...and here's a nickel's worth : I'm getting older (and slower) as fast as younger folks and DSGs are getting faster, but my 6MT ALWAYS feels and sounds the same. I realize quite graciously that certain satisfactions are good, others are fantasy. I KNOW that I am not as quick as a new Performance but I am comfortable with also KNOWING that my matching of a downshift is for ME and not someone outside my car or a lap time. I am happy to leave that rush to younger, more agile, more responsive folks that I can never any longer hope to match... no bragging rights or needs from me. Smiles and knowing my own delight is all I want/need. Just hope my knees continue to keep up ... ;-)

Reactions: GR8NJR8

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
537 Posts
If you’re going to sell, buy V10 Manual.

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
There is a lot of truth to this IMHO. I offer the following to support this thinking.

Love the 911, especially the '73 Carrera RS. Always wanted one. But when push came to shove, I opted for the R8. Why? 911s are too common. R8s are more rare and looks more exotic. Performance-wise, I think it's a trade-off, a little here, a little there. Besides, I've been an Audi fan since I saw my first one in a mag. in 1970. My R8 is my 11th Audi.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kgruen2, Hope you enjoyed the video as much as I did. The car Harry drives is ludicrously expensive but he states he loves the basicness of the car which allows him to push it farther which goes to your point. The car has a great sound too! Enjoy your R8......I know I am. 😀

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
...and here's a nickel's worth : I'm getting older (and slower) as fast as younger folks and DSGs are getting faster, but my 6MT ALWAYS feels and sounds the same. I realize quite graciously that certain satisfactions are good, others are fantasy. I KNOW that I am not as quick as a new Performance but I am comfortable with also KNOWING that my matching of a downshift is for ME and not someone outside my car or a lap time. I am happy to leave that rush to younger, more agile, more responsive folks that I can never any longer hope to match... no bragging rights or needs from me. Smiles and knowing my own delight is all I want/need. Just hope my knees continue to keep up ... ;-)
I've slowed down myself. I've owned my manual transmission R8 for only 3 years and have only had it up to 150 mph. In my younger years I would have done a top speed run by now. I remember now, I had to back off as I was catching up to traffic.:cool:

·
Registered
216 Posts
The question i have for you is

is the car 75K better

i have a 14 v10 spyder

to go to a 2020-2022 spyder would cost me at least 75K

i just don’t think id have 75K more fun even tho upgraded, i think at that point id put more and get into a 488 gtb.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

is the car 75K better

i have a 14 v10 spyder

i just don’t think id have 75K more fun even tho upgraded, i think at that point id put more and get into a 488 gtb.
I think you'll have less fun. Not even a question of equal or greater fun. It has more gimmicky functions that make for a more comfortable ride, but (my personal opinion) is that it removes the driver from the road a little too much.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts

is the car 75K better

i have a 14 v10 spyder

GREAT question...
Truthfully, when I decided to sell my gen1 R8, I wasn't looking at getting into a Gen2 R8 because the spread (for a used 2018 V10 Plus Spyder that I wanted) was about $70k (canadian funds). And I thought to myself, I don't think I would be happy if I spent $70k and just had a newer R8 (and without a 6 speed gated manual). So I started looking at other cars, I considered a used Huracan Spyder (2016-2017) and yes the Huracan was about $100-$120k spread from my gen1 R8 but I felt like I was really "upgrading", stepping into a Lambo and a newer, more modern car. But a new Gen 2 R8 Spyder at $250k (Canadian funds again) was simply out of the question for me. I thought they were over priced. But as I kept looking, and I looked at McLaren 570s Spyders and a few other cars, I realized the R8 was for me and then when I found a great deal on a brand new 2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder, I was all in! I am so happy I made that decision and got a brand new car, with full warranty, full maintenance covered and so much more!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts