Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m trying and failing to find an aftermarket exhaust I like for my 2015 Gen 1 V10 Plus.

It appears the S-Tronic gearbox threw a curveball for exhausts manufacturers and so it’s common to find “Excludes Plus” notes on a lot of them (At least the new ones still for sale) though I’ve come to appreciate what they really mean is excludes 2013-2015 models with S-Tronic…
(That wording would have made things a lot clearer from the get go unless there is a difference I’m not aware of between a 2015 plus and 2015 non-plus I guess - shrugs.) anyway enough ranting.

I’m after an aftermarket exhaust preferably more muscle car than F1 sound oriented and I know the super common is quicksilver or capristo but to say I’ve wanted an R8 since they released I’ve got to have watched 1000+ YouTube videos so far of R8’s and different exhaust and quicksilver nor capristo are the sound I’m after.. yes it’s a supercar but for me that’s way too much. I’ll give it to any QS or Capristo owners out there, I have not heard it in person - I definitely appreciate YouTube is not amazing for exhaust sounds but it does give you an indication of volume.. (please don’t get into db edited gains etc) :)

Appreciate this is a very common question answered a million times, so though I appreciate opinions, for me, it’s about what’s still available being so late to the party in a Gen 1.

So what have you got for sale, what do you recommend?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Armytrix or IPE is most likely going to be the best option for you in terms of sound.

We have an armytrix for a Gallardo, which could probably be adapted to fit the R8.
Apologies, I should have said I'm in the UK from the start.

Ironically, Lamborghini Hurucan exhaust noise is exactly what I'm trying to achieve, definitely louder than the R8, a very aggressive noise, I don't know if an Armytrix or IPE would be closer to that sound but assuming you supply only, I'm not looking to get another exhaust that doesn't fit from the get go..

I have a Milltek to fit an 07-12 model R8 and hence the learning curve with the S-Tronic gearbox etc.. etc.. at the top.

· Registered
299 Posts
I have a Gen 1 S-tronic, I bought my exhaust from a company called 'Cobra Sport' based in Sheffield.
Excellent quality, excellent fitment. Makes a great noise from low rpm burble to high rpm scream, also comes with a lifetime guarantee. Check the website.

· Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
218 Posts
I have a 2015 v10 plus and went with a Larini system. They make them to order and have a model specifically for the facelift v10 (including Plus model). The fit is perfect and the system utilizes your OEM exhaust valve feeds so you retain your sport button functionality and can open/close the valves as you can do with your stock exhaust.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @sideways91, I'm looking to get hold of an exhaust in the next few weeks (having looked for 2 weeks already) but just no where seems to have stock and all need to built like the example you provided.

Has anyone in the UK, got an aftermarket exhaust they are looking to sell to fit an Gen 1 AUDI R8 V10 2012-2015 model?

· Registered
5,982 Posts
Thanks @sideways91, I'm looking to get hold of an exhaust in the next few weeks (having looked for 2 weeks already) but just no where seems to have stock and all need to built like the example you provided.

Has anyone in the UK, got an aftermarket exhaust they are looking to sell to fit an Gen 1 AUDI R8 V10 2012-2015 model?
R8 Stuff usually has one or two.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good, bad or indifferent - I've gone for a Top Gear exhaust because its what's available and I just need to scratch the V10 exhaust sound itch..

It seems/appears sub-par vs the rest of the exhausts out there but in reality, I can't see a negative comments about it so I figured, I'll get it installed, put it through it's paces and see where I stand.

There's always a custom titanium exhaust option in the long run but that's time... and though I appreciate the 2 really can't be compared, having not got a titanium exhaust already to compare, I'm secretly hoping that the Top Gear exhaust pleasantly surprises me. Soon find out...

· Registered
5,982 Posts
A good number of owners on here have fitted the Top Gear system and the main comment seems to be that they are LOUD. :D

· Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
218 Posts
Why such a rush? Why not wait and get exactly what you want made to order? Even if it takes a few more weeks, it will be worth it and will likely ensure you get exactly what you want the first time rather than wasting time and money playing trial and error.

It sounds like you're already disappointed in your decision and calling it subpar before you've even received your exhaust! It's a lot of labor to install an exhaust on these cars so it might be wise to do more research and make an informed choice the first time. My $.02 anyway.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Why such a rush? Why not wait and get exactly what you want made to order? Even if it takes a few more weeks, it will be worth it and will likely ensure you get exactly what you want the first time rather than wasting time and money playing trial and error.

It sounds like you're already disappointed in your decision and calling it subpar before you've even received your exhaust! It's a lot of labor to install an exhaust on these cars so it might be wise to do more research and make an informed choice the first time. My $.02 anyway.
Usually, I wouldn't bore anyone with such details but you asked and it's a forum and people do tend to love this stuff and I'm not trying to call you out as being wrong for asking in anyway. The points are just because it's a forum and it genuinely is my situation and thoughts on it.

You are not wrong and I would of course love to wait a few more weeks, however.. having never done an illogical thing in my life..

1. I already have the car up in the air in bits with the back end dismantled and the standard exhaust removed, it's been like this for the last month. This was part of a "revamp" of having wheels refurbed, parts badly stone chipped resprayed and generally cleaning up the mess that the previous owner had let behind when they clearly had an aftermarket exhaust on before. Also needed to replace a ticking Air Condenser Rad Fan on the front end so the front end is off also - It was infuriating!

1.1 Having never paid a garage to do work on a car I've owned, ever, mostly because I think they are all cowboys and no-one cares about you or your stuff as much as you (with the exception of servicing to get a stamp and keep value) I'd already purchased a Milltek Exhaust to fit a 2009-2012 V10, assuming they could not be that different (I think there's another post somewhere where I was asking about this) and I discovered they are not THAT different but just different enough that you need a proper exhaust shop to adapt the brackets with the differences between an R-Tronic and S-Tronic gearbox height/size etc.

-- The exception to the rule for garage work I think could be Ricky (RE Performance) for his renowned reputation but I've yet to have anything done by him.
-- I've got Darkside Developments around the corner from me (pretty well renowned garage) went to them for a few bits, they were rubbish and I'll never go back to them.. this follows that most garages are crap theory, so I may not be the perfect customer but I'm not expecting much in the first place.

2. I've wanted an Akrapovic exhaust for any car I've had for an extremely long time, spoke to a few garages and that's discontinued and no longer being made. Armytrix was a second consideration but I've messaged them and they don't reply + Ricky (RE Performance) said they are crap and not to go near them so that's what it is.

2.1 An Akra did just come up for a Gen 2 on here in the UK but the guy needs (under-stably) the original Gen 2 hardware - I have a Gen 1 so I can't give him that, then there is the fact the exhaust needs to be modified to fit a Gen 1 - Remember the Milltek? Yes, even if I could get him to sell it to me without the Gen 2 parts, I'd then have 2 exhausts - neither which fit without work.

3. "Exactly what you want the first time", this could spark a bit of a debate but I've no doubt (like me) most people have heard exhausts on YouTube, brought an exhaust based on that alone and been happy with it simply because of the time, cost and effort that's gone into acquiring it, after all you're likely waiting 2-4 weeks for it already. Not suggesting no one that is brought an exhaust isn't happy with it but having been there multiple times in the past myself, we all as humans tend to live with things because of the "hassle element". In other words, aren't we all playing "Trial and error"?

3.1 I spoke to Stuart at IWS Developments here in the UK about a custom Titanium exhaust (Makes a lot of exhausts for the manufactures of performance exhausts), who does amazing work with exhausts but he can't fit me in for months and months, even then he's 4-5 hours away from me, needs the car for 2 weeks and no matter how good he is or how much I've explained what I want the exhaust sound to be like, will I be happy with it after all that, who the F knows!
-- In fact I will be happy with it because I'd of driven 10 hours, paid taxi's, got train tickets - travelled for 20 hours in total (there, back, there, back) spent £5K on the exhaust alone - It will do after all that hassle.

4. I spoke to Ricky (RE Performance) or what he had line of sight on and there was nothing used. Capristo, QuickSilver and Top Gear were the new options he would suggest which were all loud (Quicksilver being the loudest in his opinion), if I wanted louder than stock but not performance exhaust loud there is a company called mod-stock that will essentially remove some baffles from your existing exhaust or sell you a "pre-modded standard exhaust".

5. I'm not disappointed in my decision, I'm disappointed that I'm so late to the party with a Gen 1 and that in-comparison to what was available at the time, there is the odd exhaust you can get made up but the most part, they are out of stock, discontinued and not being made anymore no matter how long I'm willing to wait.

6. I do consider the Top Gear exhaust "sub-par" vs the rest, but I haven't got any real facts as to why I believe its "sub-par", I guess part of it, is nearly all new R8 exhausts are more than it and "You tend to get what you pay for", right?
-- It doesn't mean I can't be happy with it, it just means that I'm taking a calculated risk to hear what it sounds like in the hope that it will "Scratch the itch" for having an performance exhaust to really hear the V10 scream.

7. Probably should have been point 1.
I've got a road trip coming up and I've already done one with the standard exhaust and it's disappointing for a supercar.
Now a Hurucan, that makes the noise a supercar should make, straight out of the gate, but it's also more expensive so albeit the controversy that might ensue, I see the R8 as a poor mans Supercar (An amazing bit of kit) but a nevertheless a poor mans supercar, if you play your cards right.. hopefully a gateway to bigger and better things like Lamborghinis, Ferrari's etc. for now, I'm not for one second complaining about having a V10 - an R8 literally is my dream car and has been since they came out, I just wish it wasn't shuffled into a specific "Product" by the VW group who didn't want it stepping on the toes of it's bigger brother (The Hurucan)

All in all, I've kept your attention for 10 mins waffling on about the how's, why's and where's and I'm at a loss to explain or define "Happiness", because if I'm not disappointed with the exhaust (Which might be for several reasons such as cost, logistics, hassle) then I guess I must be the opposite, right?

· Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
218 Posts
Usually, I wouldn't bore anyone with such details but you asked and it's a forum and people do tend to love this stuff and I'm not trying to call you out as being wrong for asking in anyway. The points are just because it's a forum and it genuinely is my situation and thoughts on it.

You are not wrong and I would of course love to wait a few more weeks, however.. having never done an illogical thing in my life..

1. I already have the car up in the air in bits with the back end dismantled and the standard exhaust removed, it's been like this for the last month. This was part of a "revamp" of having wheels refurbed, parts badly stone chipped resprayed and generally cleaning up the mess that the previous owner had let behind when they clearly had an aftermarket exhaust on before. Also needed to replace a ticking Air Condenser Rad Fan on the front end so the front end is off also - It was infuriating!

1.1 Having never paid a garage to do work on a car I've owned, ever, mostly because I think they are all cowboys and no-one cares about you or your stuff as much as you (with the exception of servicing to get a stamp and keep value) I'd already purchased a Milltek Exhaust to fit a 2009-2012 V10, assuming they could not be that different (I think there's another post somewhere where I was asking about this) and I discovered they are not THAT different but just different enough that you need a proper exhaust shop to adapt the brackets with the differences between an R-Tronic and S-Tronic gearbox height/size etc.

-- The exception to the rule for garage work I think could be Ricky (RE Performance) for his renowned reputation but I've yet to have anything done by him.
-- I've got Darkside Developments around the corner from me (pretty well renowned garage) went to them for a few bits, they were rubbish and I'll never go back to them.. this follows that most garages are crap theory, so I may not be the perfect customer but I'm not expecting much in the first place.

2. I've wanted an Akrapovic exhaust for any car I've had for an extremely long time, spoke to a few garages and that's discontinued and no longer being made. Armytrix was a second consideration but I've messaged them and they don't reply + Ricky (RE Performance) said they are crap and not to go near them so that's what it is.

2.1 An Akra did just come up for a Gen 2 on here in the UK but the guy needs (under-stably) the original Gen 2 hardware - I have a Gen 1 so I can't give him that, then there is the fact the exhaust needs to be modified to fit a Gen 1 - Remember the Milltek? Yes, even if I could get him to sell it to me without the Gen 2 parts, I'd then have 2 exhausts - neither which fit without work.

3. "Exactly what you want the first time", this could spark a bit of a debate but I've no doubt (like me) most people have heard exhausts on YouTube, brought an exhaust based on that alone and been happy with it simply because of the time, cost and effort that's gone into acquiring it, after all you're likely waiting 2-4 weeks for it already. Not suggesting no one that is brought an exhaust isn't happy with it but having been there multiple times in the past myself, we all as humans tend to live with things because of the "hassle element". In other words, aren't we all playing "Trial and error"?

3.1 I spoke to Stuart at IWS Developments here in the UK about a custom Titanium exhaust (Makes a lot of exhausts for the manufactures of performance exhausts), who does amazing work with exhausts but he can't fit me in for months and months, even then he's 4-5 hours away from me, needs the car for 2 weeks and no matter how good he is or how much I've explained what I want the exhaust sound to be like, will I be happy with it after all that, who the F knows!
-- In fact I will be happy with it because I'd of driven 10 hours, paid taxi's, got train tickets - travelled for 20 hours in total (there, back, there, back) spent £5K on the exhaust alone - It will do after all that hassle.

4. I spoke to Ricky (RE Performance) or what he had line of sight on and there was nothing used. Capristo, QuickSilver and Top Gear were the new options he would suggest which were all loud (Quicksilver being the loudest in his opinion), if I wanted louder than stock but not performance exhaust loud there is a company called mod-stock that will essentially remove some baffles from your existing exhaust or sell you a "pre-modded standard exhaust".

5. I'm not disappointed in my decision, I'm disappointed that I'm so late to the party with a Gen 1 and that in-comparison to what was available at the time, there is the odd exhaust you can get made up but the most part, they are out of stock, discontinued and not being made anymore no matter how long I'm willing to wait.

6. I do consider the Top Gear exhaust "sub-par" vs the rest, but I haven't got any real facts as to why I believe its "sub-par", I guess part of it, is nearly all new R8 exhausts are more than it and "You tend to get what you pay for", right?
-- It doesn't mean I can't be happy with it, it just means that I'm taking a calculated risk to hear what it sounds like in the hope that it will "Scratch the itch" for having an performance exhaust to really hear the V10 scream.

7. Probably should have been point 1.
I've got a road trip coming up and I've already done one with the standard exhaust and it's disappointing for a supercar.
Now a Hurucan, that makes the noise a supercar should make, straight out of the gate, but it's also more expensive so albeit the controversy that might ensue, I see the R8 as a poor mans Supercar (An amazing bit of kit) but a nevertheless a poor mans supercar, if you play your cards right.. hopefully a gateway to bigger and better things like Lamborghinis, Ferrari's etc. for now, I'm not for one second complaining about having a V10 - an R8 literally is my dream car and has been since they came out, I just wish it wasn't shuffled into a specific "Product" by the VW group who didn't want it stepping on the toes of it's bigger brother (The Hurucan)

All in all, I've kept your attention for 10 mins waffling on about the how's, why's and where's and I'm at a loss to explain or define "Happiness", because if I'm not disappointed with the exhaust (Which might be for several reasons such as cost, logistics, hassle) then I guess I must be the opposite, right?
Oh wow, thanks for providing such a comprehensive response/explanation. With this additional context, I completely understand your urgency and feel kind of bad calling you out for being impatient! Folks, we need to find this person an exhaust ASAP... 🤣

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having received the exhaust (not fitted yet), I believe I had the same question as many on the forum surrounding the valves and in this case the Top Gear Exhaust valves come with the following diagram - just encase it's of any use to anyone.

Schematic Font Parallel Slope Technical drawing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts