Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I am trying to figure out if my car has an aftermarket exhaust installed and what kind it is. Also trying to even the left pipes out. The car sounds great and very loud when you hit high RPM so I am thinking it must be aftermarket.

The left mufflers looks like the exhaust melted some of the bumper as you can see in the pics i have 2 cracks at first i was thinking the original owner hit something but now i believe the place they put the exhaust in must have had the pipes to far on the left side. I am guessing it was moved more in to the center as the crack has not spread and i drove about 500 miles since i bought the car.

But It still looks like the left pipe is still to far on that side. Would there be a way to bend the pipes to the right and center it more without removing the bumper etc. I am trying to avoid the cracks spreading more. Also the second pic you can see there is what looks like a piece of weld stuck to the large oval muffler tip between where the 2 spyder cracks start. I am more confused lol.

Thanks guys and please don't mind the salt rough winter here in NJ

Both pics are left side of car. 2015 R8 V8
Auto part Metal Plumbing fixture Wheel Car

Water Drain Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system

Tire Iron Wheel Rim Spoke

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I will get better pics tomorrow if that helps. Thanks! Also as you guys remember I had to get a new ECU put in on my dime as warranty would not cover since someone opened it and water got in. would the aftermarket exhaust void my warranty on the engine trans etc? Or just my exhaust itself since it might be aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I will get better pics tomorrow if that helps. Thanks! Also as you guys remember I had to get a new ECU put in on my dime as warranty would not cover since someone opened it and water got in. would the aftermarket exhaust void my warranty on the engine trans etc? Or just my exhaust itself since it might be aftermarket.
I wouldn't think an aftermarket exhaust would void anything warranty-wise related to the engine or transmission. So many people put aftermarket exhausts - I wouldn't worry about it.

The exhaust may very well be aftermarket just given the fitment issues. The black exhaust surrounds on the 2015 were used when the car was fitted with the upgraded OEM Sport Exhaust from the factory; however, I believe you could also spec them as part of the Black Optics package w/o the upgraded exhaust. But, again, given the fitment issues here, and the fact that your ECU was clearly opened, I'd lean towards after-market. Taking the bumper off would probably shed some light on it (literally and figuratively).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks like you might have a pre-facelift exhaust for your facelift R8. That would explain the odd spacing of the tailpipes. the pre-facelift model had oval vs. round exhaust opening in bumper.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,294 Posts
Looks like you might have a pre-facelift exhaust for your facelift R8. That would explain the odd spacing of the tailpipes. the pre-facelift model had oval vs. round exhaust opening in bumper.
I was thinking the same thing, especially once he mentioned the car was obviously modded before (ECU being opened). The only thing that still doesn't make sense is why is it louder than stock (assuming that it is?) as OP says?

Curiosity would have the best of me and I would be having the bumper removed to inspect both the exhaust situation as well as any damage that may have been caused or being caused behind the bumper. Last thing you want is melted lights or worse, melted wiring harnesses back there. Or worst of all, a fire!

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, especially once he mentioned the car was obviously modded before (ECU being opened). The only thing that still doesn't make sense is why is it louder than stock (assuming that it is?) as OP says?

Curiosity would have the best of me and I would be having the bumper removed to inspect both the exhaust situation as well as any damage that may have been caused or being caused behind the bumper. Last thing you want is melted lights or worse, melted wiring harnesses back there. Or worst of all, a fire!
Another possibility is that the exhaust is an after-market unit designed for a pre-facelift V10. In that case, it would explain why it's louder, and why the spacing looks to be designed for an oval exhaust outlet (wider spacing).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even though facelift has the single round opening in the bumper, the stock exhaust still has two adjacent smaller tailpipes per hole. At least on my stock 2014 V8 it did. But obviously it's not fitting right regardless :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses guys. I took another look today and the right exhaust is a little farther away from the exhaust tip maybe 3 inches and the left one is closer to the round exhaust tip almost touching the left of the 2 pipes on the left side. The original owner before me was a lease that's why i would be suprised if it is an aftermarket exhaust. It sounds loud from inside the cabin when i get on it so im guessing its aftermarket as people on here have stated R8 is not to loud inside the cabin. Also looking through the mesh on the bumper the pipes look shiny with some rust on them i think stock exhaust where not shinny?

Here is another pic of car from far away.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Black

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Auto part

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also noticed the left exhaust tip wiggles a little bit if i push on the top part of it and the right one is solid and doesn't move maybe the owner before me hit something. So far i put about 500 miles since i bought the car and I don't believe the crack has spread any more then when i bought it. Going to get better pics tomorrow up close not sure why my camera took pics sideways sorry about that!

Do you guys think it would help if i put some of this on the tail pipe tips? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OVU9BE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
804 Posts
you definitely have a Pre-Facelift exhaust on your facelift. I put the facelift bumper on my preface and it looks exactly like yours.
You need to cut the exhaust pipes, squeeze them with a press and weld them closer together. I am in the process doing that with a preface capristo exhaust (need the preface version on my preface car due to road legislation/ECE approval on my preface)

That is how the facelift tailpipes look and your modified pipe should look after modding, on bottom original facelift and on top is an akrapovic
Auto part Automotive exhaust Suspension

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Helldriver what would the reason be for this being done? Sound etc? Also would that then make my exhaust OEM but just from a another year?

I looked closer today and it looks like the left tip is almost aligned with the back end of the exhaust tip. maybe off 1/4 inch.

It had to really be way left for it to do that melting it did in the pics. So i am guessing they brought it back and had it re aligned.What are your guys thoughts? I am trying to avoid removing the bumper as my wife is already mad i had to buy a new ecu.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Helldriver what would the reason be for this being done? Sound etc? Also would that then make my exhaust OEM but just from a another year?

I looked closer today and it looks like the left tip is almost aligned with the back end of the exhaust tip. maybe off 1/4 inch.

It had to really be way left for it to do that melting it did in the pics. So i am guessing they brought it back and had it re aligned.What are your guys thoughts? I am trying to avoid removing the bumper as my wife is already mad i had to buy a new ecu.
Maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket exhaust on the car (and never kept the original), then when selling figured they'd sell the aftermarket exhaust for some extra cash and bought an original exhaust to fit back on without realising it was from the wrong year?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
My theory, as I said earlier, is that the previous owner installed a pre-facelift V10 exhaust. These exhausts, due to the outlet configuration, would have had the pipes spread further apart to accommodate the oval outlet. On the facelift cars, the outlets became round. The pre-facelift exhausts wouldn't fit right with that bumper and would sit as yours appears - outside of the outlet tip.

I've seen plenty of people mod leases (silly, but they do), and perhaps they figured this would never be caught - may have been an opportunistic situation (someone's old exhaust?)... clearly they didn't go out of their way to get the right exhaust.

Attached you'll see a pic of my facelift V10's exhaust outlet. You can see that the two inner exhaust pipes fit cleanly and well within the round exhaust tip. This is the OEM Sport Exhaust that was made available in the 2015 model year.

I'd definitely look to replace that exhaust with one designed for the car or at least get someone to correct the tips to be within the outlet. While you have the bumper off, I'd check to make sure the proper heat shielding was installed, as this can also be problematic if they skimped and skipped it.

Audio equipment Tire Auto part Wheel Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
VIPR8, the wrap will help but you still have to realign the end pipes to fit within the round tips to prevent further heat damage to your bumper.

And as Shardul/Ultimatepd mentioned, you'd have to cut the tips to realign them. You can't just force/bend them closer as the welds joining the pipes/mufflers will likely crack.

I retrofitted the facelift bumper to my V8 and the exhaust shop had to cut the end pipes of my Milltek exhaust and rewelded them back closer.

Bumper removal is needed but exhaust removal is not. It's better to do the welding with the exhaust in place so the new tips can be more accurately aligned to the round exhaust openings on the bumper.

The workshop had to test fit the new end pipe positions to the bumper a few times to get it just right.

Here's some before/after photos of the chop job.

Pipe Metal

Pipe Metal Plumbing

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Suspension part Suspension

Auto part Tire Muffler Leg Footwear

Auto part Automotive exhaust

Also noticed the left exhaust tip wiggles a little bit if i push on the top part of it and the right one is solid and doesn't move maybe the owner before me hit something. So far i put about 500 miles since i bought the car and I don't believe the crack has spread any more then when i bought it. Going to get better pics tomorrow up close not sure why my camera took pics sideways sorry about that!

Do you guys think it would help if i put some of this on the tail pipe tips? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OVU9BE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks guys! OCR8 I have 2015
If you bought the car from an Audi dealer, I would go back to dealer and demand they remedy the situation. Audi dealers inspect every used Audi they resell so this would be a disclosure issue as Audi dealer would know exhaust is not stock. If you bought from an private party seller or a used car lot you may still have legal recourse based on the facts of your situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts