Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The MMI system in my R8 doesn't allow me to wirelessly play music from my iPhone and only has FM capability so i am looking to upgrade it to a DAB apple car play unit. Does anyone have any advice on what headunit would be best and/or where is best to have it fitted around the Wiltshire area?

I also have a reversing camera and parking sensors so im interested to know what the display on the new headunit would look like compared to the stock audi one which displays the rear view image with a schematic of the car on the right hand side to show sensor distances. Would it be the same or vary by headunit brand perhaps?

Any advice will be appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get an A2DP adapter that will allow you to connect through bluetooth for streaming (if you'd like to avoid the whole headunit replacement route)

·
Registered
98 Posts
The display would be dependent on which headunit you have. I'm not sure if any unit has the parking sensors overlayed in the corner on the backup camera like you have in the stock one. That said, I've found that the way it works aftermarket is better than stock. I was very hesitant on making the switch at first because I thought the stock set up for the sensors/camera was nice, but I ended up doing it anyway. Basically, you now have a full screen view of the parking sensors, making it very easy to see exactly how much distance is left without having to squint at the screen. The parking sensor button will bring up this screen.

As for the backup camera, it'll still pop up when you put the car in reverse. Parking sensors are audible, but not visible while the backup camera is displayed. You'll lose the guiding lines for the backup camera, but personally, I never relied on those lines anyway.

I highly suggest getting a unit with wireless AA/carplay. Having it automatically launch on start up instead of having to take out my phone and connect a wire is definitely a very nice convenience. I have the Pioneer W8500NEX myself. I don't live in the UK so I'm not sure about shops that can install it, but all the parts are available here: Audi R8 2008-2015 Radio installation videos and products | Page 1 of 1

Christian at enfig installed my system for me and he's very knowledgeable about the products. I'd suggest shooting him an email if you're not sure. There's also a lot of DIY guides out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The display would be dependent on which headunit you have. I'm not sure if any unit has the parking sensors overlayed in the corner on the backup camera like you have in the stock one. That said, I've found that the way it works aftermarket is better than stock. I was very hesitant on making the switch at first because I thought the stock set up for the sensors/camera was nice, but I ended up doing it anyway. Basically, you now have a full screen view of the parking sensors, making it very easy to see exactly how much distance is left without having to squint at the screen. The parking sensor button will bring up this screen.

As for the backup camera, it'll still pop up when you put the car in reverse. Parking sensors are audible, but not visible while the backup camera is displayed. You'll lose the guiding lines for the backup camera, but personally, I never relied on those lines anyway.

I highly suggest getting a unit with wireless AA/carplay. Having it automatically launch on start up instead of having to take out my phone and connect a wire is definitely a very nice convenience. I have the Pioneer W8500NEX myself. I don't live in the UK so I'm not sure about shops that can install it, but all the parts are available here: Audi R8 2008-2015 Radio installation videos and products | Page 1 of 1

Christian at enfig installed my system for me and he's very knowledgeable about the products. I'd suggest shooting him an email if you're not sure. There's also a lot of DIY guides out there.
Thank you for the detailed reply, I really appreciate the info!

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
DOOMS,
What year is your R8 and where do you plug this adapter into? I have a 2009.

AJ
2015 Gen 1 Facelift
It plugs into the AMI port. Its in a storage compartment behind the middle of the 2 seats.
I have a spyder, so location might be different on yours

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don’t waste your time with the £10-20 offerings on eBay they won’t work (I tried 3)

The type linked above works a treat and I wish I had just got one to start with. Mine is a “Tune2Air WMA3000A” I think it’s the same as the bovee

It’s a simple plug and play. The cheaper ones need power going to them which it seems our ami ports don’t support. (Though I assume a small amount of power goes to it) Much YouTube research thought me that you can run a separate power lead to them from your cigarette lighter but ain’t no one got time for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts