Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know many of us wanting to replace the crappy MMI in our R8s. However, one big challenge is the custom bezel. I started this thread to share my experiences installing an aftermarket stereo in my car. You need the following:

1. Stereo. My unit is a Pioneer 8400NEX
2. 3D Printed Bezel. I made one and published it on Thingiverse: Here
3. Soldering equipment
4. VW Stereo removal tools
5. Sandpaper, vinylwrap, paint etc. Depending how you want to finish bezel
6. Dremel (some cutting may be required)
7. Standard tools
8. Double sticky tape
9. Patience
10. 2 DIN Generic mounting kit
11. Maestro Steering wheel interface
12. VW wire harness
13. FAKRA antenna converter
14. Micro bypass circuit

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Phase 1:

Since there is no simple inexpensive bezel out there I decided making my own 3D printed one:

_DSC8298.jpg

I am using Fusion360 to design the part. This is not an easy part to make, because of the complex curves it has. However. with a tracing tablet, it is easier

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After part is designed I am printing it on my Raise3D printer using ABS for material. You should not use PLA, because it does not well inside the car on hot summer days.

_DSC8314.jpg

Here is a link to the 3D printed build on Thingiverse

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It took a lot of tries before I got the part to fit right in the console. Below is some of the prototypes in the design process. Patience is of essence here, since one print takes more than 8 hours to complete....

_DSC8323.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, I finally made a part which fits snugly inside the console. I designed the part to fit with a generic 2 DIN mounting kit. Description below:

Autostereo 180 x 103mm Universal Double DIN Installation Slot Metal Car Stereo Radio Mounting Frame 2DIN Universal Car Radio Adapter In-Dash Mounting Frame Complete Fitting Kit

Available from Amazon

518zXeRRrsL.jpg

Be careful with the frame. The plastic tabs on it are fragile.

Below is a picture showing how the mounting kit adapts to one of my prototypes:

20190403_063531.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally a finished part....

Depending what you are looking for from the final part. You may be happy with the raw 3D printed look and just install it, or maybe paint/wrap/hydrodip the part. If you opt for further finishing you need to first sand and prime the bezel. Fortunately, ABS is very easy to sand and finish.

I decided to wrap my bezel in a carbon fiber lookalike vinyl. It did turn out pretty good, but for best quality, probably hydro dipping is the best way to go...

View attachment 233762

View attachment 233764

View attachment 233766

View attachment 233768

Not too bad for a first timer wrapping something :)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Phase 2:

Part is done and it is time to start installing the new MMI. I did purchase a Pioneer 8400NEX to fit in my car:

1eda8235226a8a3695e0d760201f1b38.jpeg

You also need a MMI adapter to retain steering wheel controls and features from the original MMI. I Went ahead with purchasing a Maestro ADS MRR from idatalink for my Audi R8:

81ZvttQwDLL._SL1500_.jpg

Then you need a wire harness to connect everything to. Idatalink provides harnesses to fit the Audi R8 together with the Pioneer 8400NEX.

Description: Maestro HRN-RR-VW1 Plug and Play T-Harness for VW1 Vehicles

81HhLh+yzTL._SL1500_.jpg

You also need a FAKRA converter for your FM/AM radio antenna into the Piioneer unit:

Description:

Generic TWIN FAKRA Two Way TO SINGLE DIN CAR DVD Head Unit RADIO AERIAL Antenna ADAPTOR Cable for AUDI VW SKODA BMW

31TfbJv058L.jpg

If you want to watch videos while driving, you have to install a parking brake bypass. It is illegal in some places installing this, but?

Description:

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers

51cUFNAGipL.jpg

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to share.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gotta say Zaos must be a god on this forum! I've seen a lot of posts about finding that trim. Can't believe someone finally made it work! Thank you for your work!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Here are some other points/information to make the solution successful:

1. Make sure you get the latest Audi R8 based firmware for the Maestro (1.9 or higher). The earlier versions have a really bad battery drain issue. I know all to well, as I worked with them to get that fixed and battled it for weeks.
2. Feed the B&O amplifier with the low level outputs from the Pioneer unit, and ground properly. Otherwise, you will battle a severe engine whine. The high level outputs will present a vicious amp pop on startup and shutdown (as predicted).
3. The Pioneer unit supports dual camera, so you have the option of a front camera for use
4. You have the option of SiriusXM add-on to the Pioneer with the $50 module/kit. I tried to use the existing satellite antenna but was unsuccessful. Fortunately, I was installing in a Spyder, so the SiriusXM packaged antenna and module simply installed under the rear panel behind drivers side and works perfectly.
5. Having performed the installation twice, in my car and a friends identical car, we both experienced a very noticeable drop in range for the key FOB. I assumed it was FOB battery level, changed it out and still no improvement. My theory is, the antenna for the key FOB is somehow linked in with the removed components (old MMI). If anyone has information related to this, I am quite interested. Especially if I could identify the FOB antenna wiring point and connect something to it, which could restore the range. The FOB is not unusable, just doesn't have much range and the vehicle often ignores your button presses under some conditions.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
That looks fantastic! Do you have a picture of the bezel installed in the vehicle with the head unit also in place?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Will you be offering this kit as a package ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Phase 3:

After you have all required parts, it is time to take the MMI out of the car. Pulling out the unit requires 4 VW radio removal tools looking like below:

61v3MNFBi8L._SL1000_.jpg

Push the tools into the slots in each corner of the MMI like shown below:

20190410_162509.jpg

Then grab the hooks and pull out the unit. If the unit seems to catch pull the hook on the opposite side to release. Below is a side by side comparison of the old and new units:

20190410_161225.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phase 4:

Time to wire up everything. First you have to program the Maestro. This is not straight forward and you have to use an old Internet Explorer for it to work. A newer browser does not work. If you have Windows 10, just go to the search bar and search for explorer and you will find it. Programming below:

_DSC8304.jpg

After you create a login and program your maestro, you can download the wiring instructions from iDatalinks website and go to town wiring up the unit. There are a lot of wires to to do, but still pretty straight forward.

_DSC8302.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phase 5:

After wiring up the Pioneer to the Maestro and bypass, etc it is time to install the system inside the car. First, you have to install the GPS, USB, and microphone. Many people install the GPS under the dash for a completely hidden look. I opted installing it right above the rear-view mirror, because I want to be sure always having great GPS signal.

_DSC8336.jpg

The microphone, I installed inside the top console right next to the mirror. There is a slot right inside it, fitting the microphone perfectly and out of the way. I just used a glue gun attaching it.

20190403_191720.jpg

It does take a little work routing the wires inside the window trim, but not too bad. Plan on and hour or so and work slowly, so you do not break anything. The USB, I routed to inside the glove compartment,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Phase 6:

Time to mount the bezel inside the car. This unit does fir really tight and may require a little trimming of the plastic inside the console before fitting just right. Be patient and methodical installing this. Since the tight fit, it will feel really solid after installation and this is a good thing.

20190410_164403.jpg

I did however, notice after installing the radio, the fit of the black DIN plastic frame is very tight, because the vinyl I used. I will make the opening 1mm larger for the 3D print published in Thingiverse

1 - 20 of 153 Posts