Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post some feedback for those who are looking for more performance out of their R8 on and off track in terms of the suspension/handling. After running the Ohlins for about 6 months with the stock Ohlins springs I reached out to Scott Ahlman at Ahlman Performance for some help improving the handling/suspension. If you've driven at Sebring you know how rough the track is. I spoke with Scott who sold me a new set of springs and provided his proprietary base setup including ride heights. As soon as I had the new springs in I could already tell the car felt better. The steering followed my hands much better and the nervousness in the rear end I had with the Ohlins springs was completely gone. This alone was worth the price of admission, but it didn't stop there. I flew Scott out for my last track weekend so we could get the rebound and compression set up perfectly for the track and my driving style. Scott rode with me for several sessions and made adjustments based on my feedback and his vast knowledge as a chassis/dynamics development engineer in the automotive industry. Overall I couldn't be happier with both the car and the service I received from Scott and Ahlman Performance. I know prices on everything including the parts to build these coilovers has gone up significantly, but these coilovers with Scotts setup are money well spent to anyone looking for a massive leap forward in handling.

Link below to a new person best lap at Sebring for anyone interested (2:19)

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the car feel planted through 17?
100% stable. My line in to and out of 17 was a complete mess (even in the video lap above) but thankfully, I had a friend who's an instructor help me clean up 16 and 17 later that day. I had some laps that would have been in the 2:18's but caught traffic every time. Honestly the car feels completely planted everywhere. The Automotive Passion DTM rear wing gives a ton of downforce in the higher speed turns as well which also helps the stability. A lot comes down to what tires you're running too as I'm sure you know.

Reactions: AdamSports and NYG

·
Registered
992 Posts
100% stable. My line in to and out of 17 was a complete mess (even in the video lap above) but thankfully, I had a friend who's an instructor help me clean up 16 and 17 later that day. I had some laps that would have been in the 2:18's but caught traffic every time. Honestly the car feels completely planted everywhere. The Automotive Passion DTM rear wing gives a ton of downforce in the higher speed turns as well which also helps the stability. A lot comes down to what tires you're running too as I'm sure you know.
Are you on Trofeos or DH?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excited to see what numbers you run with another 15 mph through Bishops!!!

Great driving man. 2:19 is an excellent time.
Thank you 🙏 The car has much more in it, we are both improving lol. Sebring is local for me and I try to get out there a few times a year. Let me know if you or anyone else from the group plan to visit, I'll be there :cool:

Reactions: NYG

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm considering it potential for December. I'll definitely let you know!
If you're talking about the Chin event I have some friends also going and I might finally do a Chin event and attend! December/January is perfect weather typically.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you're talking about the Chin event I have some friends also going and I might finally do a Chin event and attend! December/January is perfect weather typically.
Yep! That's the last and only time that I've been to Sebring (Corvette). Had a great experience with Chin - it was actually decently warm but we had some scattered rain on Sunday.

You need to come to Watkins Glen International!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep! That's the last and only time that I've been to Sebring (Corvette). Had a great experience with Chin - it was actually decently warm but we had some scattered rain on Sunday.

You need to come to Watkins Glen International!!!!

Nice lap! I would love to. I may make it up to Road Atlanta in November. I really want to get out to COTA but would likely ship my car if I did. Also VIR is on the bucket list. Too many tracks, not enough vacation time and money lol.

Reactions: NYG

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
756 Posts
Excited to see what numbers you run with another 15 mph through Bishops!!!

Great driving man. 2:19 is an excellent time.
Nate was running in the 2:20's back in May with Ohlins TTX Advanced Trackday suspension setup and ride heights with everything else the same as this 2:19 with our suspension. Good stuff.

·
756 Posts
I thought I would post some feedback for those who are looking for more performance out of their R8 on and off track in terms of the suspension/handling. After running the Ohlins for about 6 months with the stock Ohlins springs I reached out to Scott Ahlman at Ahlman Performance for some help improving the handling/suspension. If you've driven at Sebring you know how rough the track is. I spoke with Scott who sold me a new set of springs and provided his proprietary base setup including ride heights. As soon as I had the new springs in I could already tell the car felt better. The steering followed my hands much better and the nervousness in the rear end I had with the Ohlins springs was completely gone. This alone was worth the price of admission, but it didn't stop there. I flew Scott out for my last track weekend so we could get the rebound and compression set up perfectly for the track and my driving style. Scott rode with me for several sessions and made adjustments based on my feedback and his vast knowledge as a chassis/dynamics development engineer in the automotive industry. Overall I couldn't be happier with both the car and the service I received from Scott and Ahlman Performance. I know prices on everything including the parts to build these coilovers has gone up significantly, but these coilovers with Scotts setup are money well spent to anyone looking for a massive leap forward in handling.
I am glad our Custom Ohlins TTX suspension, the extra time, effort and money was worth it for you @natetheskate.

Picking up over 1.0 seconds in lap time from our suspension alone is a big deal in my world! Love your calm steering, throttle and brake. Keep up your progression!

I enjoyed spending time with you in FL and Sebring! Thank you for the great hospitality!

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
496 Posts
but these coilovers with Scotts setup are money well spent to anyone looking for a massive leap forward in handling.
Yea I really think owners should consider a performance oriented suspension upgrade before they do other big mods such as forced induction. It will help you become a faster driver.

·
756 Posts
Yea I really think owners should consider a performance oriented suspension upgrade before they do other big mods such as forced induction. It will help you become a faster driver.
Agreed. @natetheskate's initial driving and initial feedback above was from the road in his tuned V10+ with exhaust. She is fast...including a 9K redline. So good.

·
Registered
790 Posts
my personal best at Sebring- 2:20. my home track. you in FL or were you visiting?

Link below to a new person best lap at Sebring for anyone interested (2:19)

View attachment 279499

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my personal best at Sebring- 2:20. my home track. you in FL or were you visiting?
In my book anything in the low 2:20's is moving at Sebring! 2:20 is a nice lap!

I'm pretty local, about 2 hours North East in Orlando. It seems we have a few who track Sebring regularly, it would be awesome to get a few R8's on track at once. I have a friend who's running Chin in December, I may come out for that.

Reactions: rgarzaR8

·
756 Posts
Clarification for anyone reading this thread.

What @natetheskate was running for suspension in May 2022 was the Ohlins TTX Advanced Trackday suspension for the R8 when the rear felt insecure/unconfident with the car feeling like it wanted to swap ends often so he gave me a call.

We sent him the hardware and changes in springs, damping and ride heights to go our custom Ahlman Performance Stage II Ohlins TTX suspension for the Gen 2 R8 that is biased to the road, but also runs extremely well at the track. Especially a rough track like Sebring. He noticed the large difference on the road right away in steering (directness/linearity), ride (rough road grip and body control - not harsh now) and handling (predictability, overall grip, balance and consistency of balance).

And he picked up over 1.0 second at Sebring versus what was supposed to be a track biased suspension because of what works well on the road noted above. This is a great example of the intent of this suspension. Great on the road yet extremely capable on the track - much more capable than "track biased" setups.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts