Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, seems a lot of us are going with either Evoms or PPI's intake, but we have no way to show it off! The only option I see is the PPI airbox for a whopping 4.5k, but even that seems to be a pipe dream as PPI doesn't seem to want to sell them :confused:

So, how hard would it be for someone with the shop to do so, to cut some holes in a stock airbox and put some plexiglass or something in place? I bet if we could get enough orders we could convince a shop to do it?

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
I would be in but considering that would mean losing the use of my car while it's being done I would rather wait till I put away in Winter. For now I think I will just paste some pictures of the Filters on the top of the box :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would hope it would only take a day or two. I can look for a fabricator here in L.A.. How many of you are in?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be in but considering that would mean losing the use of my car while it's being done I would rather wait till I put away in Winter. For now I think I will just paste some pictures of the Filters on the top of the box :)
Not necessarily. For the price it would cost to buy it from PPI, you could probably source a new airbox and still have the original to revert to stock if need-be

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I would imagine there is quite a high vacuum inside the air box when the throttle is open. How would you envisage securing the 'windows' into the plastic of the box?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm no fabricator, so I have no idea -- just thought it would be something worth pursuing

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
There's probably zero vacuum, rather pressure at high speeds. With plexiglass on inside of lid it would be sealed even better. I will find the right materials to use before proceeding. Tempered glass might be the ticket and a full length window might be nicer than the two small windows. Don't let PPI try to sell us a complete box as we only neede the LID.:) I forgot how much just the lid costs. It's carbon fiber of course.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
If you are sitting still and blip the throttle there will be a vacuum. There may be pressure at high speed especially with a closed throttle.

Either way the window will need to be sealed well against being sucked in or pushed out.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've emailed a local plastic fabricator and a few custom carbon shops... we'll see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts