Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As those of you with Alcantara will already know, but as those of you with it on order might NOT know... despite what the brochure says, the door inserts do NOT come trimmed in Alcantara.

Audi UK (I can't speak for other countries) are looking into ways to rectify this, including sending one of their own cars to a preferred supplier, presumably to judge the quality of a retrim.

I know at least 3 UK guys (plus myself) are disappointed at the lack of door trims - I'm wondering what Audi has said to people so far, what has been agreed, and just basically checking to ensure that everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet!

The info I posted above came directly from the horses mouth. I'm happy to wait for a solution, but not having the door inserts isn't something I am happy to put up with in the long term, as it simply isn't what I ordered - I would probably have chosen something completely different if I'd known the doors wouldn't match the seats!

Any experiences so far? Of course it won't put me off collection on Monday...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi Jampott,

I took it up with the same "horse's mouth" a few months ago.

I have not pushed the issue as after living witn the car for a few months I'm not too bothered about the black doors and dark grey alcantara seat sections.

But if you do get a result, I would like to see what it looks like and then make a final decision.

As I'm sure you know, Audi UK can be very accomodating and helpful, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey Jampo, I'm most likely picking my car up on Monday too.

Can you tell me what material the door inserts come in if not alcantara?

Also, how have you got on with insurance quotes, any advice?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same as R8 England, I insured through A Plan. Search for the 'Pooler' on this forum. His name is Chris, not Tim...

Inserts supposedly match the dash, rather than the seats...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Same here, there is a thread here I started in august about this. The doors are from the same material as the dash. Somewhat disappointing :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've specced the alcantara / leather combo as the seat on my MK2 TT showed signs of really excessive sagging after only a few thousand miles (I'm only 12st 5 before anyone starts ;) ) The seat base has subsequently been replaced under warranty but the same thing is happening again hence I'd be really reluctant to go for full leather on the R8

Its really disappointing to learn that the door cards are not trimmed in alcantara :(

Does anyone have any further update on this yet ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the brochure I have, description for Alcantara is as follows (more or less, I am translating it from Spanish): "Alcantara/Leather combination: head restrains and laterals of the seats in leather; center of seats in Alcantara". Nothing is said about the doors trims.
My brochure's code is 733/1118.75.nn (last 2 digits referr to the language, so I just put 'nn'). Could anyone tell me if we are talking about the same brochere?
Tks.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
There was nothing about alcantara on the doors in my Edition 4 08/07 brochure either - the only reference to door trims was in relation to the leather

·
Registered
718 Posts
In the first 2007 UK brochure, if you went for alcantara on the seats, it stated that the doors would have alcantara inserts.

When the first alcantara cars arrived in July/August (mine included) there were no alcantara door inserts, just standard trim.

Apparently, there were some quality issues and Audi dropped the words "door inserts" in subsequent catalogues.

Alacatara inserts are no longer offered or available.

So, if you order alcantara, you get the centre section of the seat and back in alacantara and standard door trims. Personally, I am very happy with the alcantara and am not bothered about the door trims.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had the same issue when my car turned up last week.

Up until last week the Audi UK website PDF brochure still showed the alcantara option with the door inserts trimmed in alcantara as well.

After I pointed this out to them they subsequently pulled the PDF download from the web.

UK dealers were apparently informed by internal Audi bulletin in Jan '08 about the error, however my R8 contact never bothered to officially inform me.

TBH the std trim is very good quality however I was extremely disappointed that they couldn't even offer a retro-fit soloution as the car wasn't exactly what I ordered, however to be fair to Perth Audi they really did look after me and kept the customer happy at the end of the day :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
i love my alcantara too. here they don't mention the door insert. if i can i will wan the alcantara steering wheel, handbrake, dash etc. (don't like the headlining though.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts