Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to explain why I am such a big fan of Alibaba for all sorts of things including car parts. I really think people on this site, in general, have very little experience in dealing directly with suppliers in China and therefor just dont get it. I also think there is a heafty amount of racism but thats another matter.

Ive been working, visiting, sourcing material and even lived in Hong Kong for a while working at a bank financing letters of credit for cargo shipments coming out of the manufacturing hubs bound for the rest of the world. I buy several containers a year directly from suppliers for my primary business and would say I have a pretty decent understanding of chinese culture and how to do business with different cultures.

Alibaba is kind of like amazon but much less regulated and looked at more as a place to meet other vendors before negotiating a deal off the platform. Its not like you are buying FROM alibaba, you use the site to meet people who then sell to you. Amazon kind of works the same in that you can buy from vendors who ship stuff to you from their house or you can buy from sellers who set up an amazon shop and even people who have amazon warehouse and ship their product. Amazon also has their own products. To be an amazon vendor you need to go through their vetting process and ive been through it for a small coffee business i set up (and lost money on like an idiot). You need a company like an llc, bank accounts and credit cards in the company name and you need to have an online interview on zoom where they make you hold up your drivers license and really check you out a bit. They have some standards and if you scam someone using amazon, at least they know who you are and they can sue your company in us courts and perhaps win. Its legit.

Alibaba is different. Anyone can post for sale and lots of very big sellers post on there as do people who just want to sell one thing they have in their garage. So, yes, you are A LOT more likely to get scammed on alibaba but you are also much more likely find a direct manufacturer who can sell you legit parts for rock bottom prices. But good luck suing a guy in china if you get screwed over a fake $2,000 carbon part.

I have no idea if the genuine rotors i bought were from some guy at factory who stole them, from a plant manager who had excess he kept off the books or if the plant was allowed to sell them direct. And if I got scammed, I would have no recourse.

So, its not like buying on amazon but also is somewhat similar. You can directly contaxt the seller on alibaba and in fact should do it. When I buy off there, I have one of my chinese employees contact the seller and talk to them and verify its not a scam. If an english spealer does this, i dont think it works as well or at all. Alibaba sells all over the world, i think like 80 countries and is a major player. They have a lot less revenue than amazon and a lot less employees also. Its less regulated, but also a much better option for direct from factory. They have less revenue because often you do one deal on the site or meet a seller there and negotiate a deal directly.

This is a very dumbed down and short explaination typed on my phone, but for those who simply hate alibaba for whatever reason, you dont make sense to me. A comoany doesnt make billions of dollars a yesr witj consistent growth because it has no value....

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
Judd, I think it goes deeper than the platform for most people. As you pointed out, Alibaba, like Amazon, is simply a marketplace. Those marketplaces have rules, and as you point out, Alibaba has less safeguards in place. But, that's somewhat immaterial, as the real issue isn't the marketplace - it's the business environment, culture, and history of products coming from China.

It's well known that China has a bit of a history when it comes to IP theft and knock-offs. In some cases, when the product, itself, is being manufactured in a Chinese plant, it may simply be a matter of whether you're getting the product with a brand name stamped on it or otherwise. But, in many other instances, there are factories simply knocking off products - lesser quality, lesser materials, using stolen IP, branded illegally to look like the real thing, etc. It's pervasive in nearly all lines of business - beauty supplies, clothing, handbags, electronics, and apparently auto parts would be no different.

Beyond the financial damage it does to the legitimate businesses that are being ripped off, in some cases it can be downright deadly. As mentioned above, beauty products are one such example. If it weren't for my wife (who's in this industry), I'd be oblivious to it, but there's a massive black market of beauty products that come from China, and they're often funneled through places like Alibaba. An eye shadow palette that may retail for $50 - $65 in the US gets knocked off by some Chinese plant, and suddenly you're seeing them popping up in discount drug stores, beauty supply outlets, etc. for half the price. Young girls are rushing to "get a deal" - often thinking it's the real thing (it's packaged to look authentic). The problem - they're often contaminated with various heavy metals and toxins that would otherwise be regulated-out of authentic products. You've got these girls now covering their skin with known carcinogens and the like.

In some cases perhaps it's just poor quality control, manufacturing practices, or know-how - not necessarily nefarious, but nonetheless still dangerous. Worse, in other cases, perhaps the people doing this know better - they just don't care. But in ALL circumstances, they're all still aware that there's IP theft and fraud going on. There's simply no recourse, and the government looks the other way.

Like many others, I couldn't support that in good conscience just to save a buck. It doesn't need to be deadly to a consumer, either - it's simply stealing from hard-working people, those who are toiling away at the companies whose IP is being ripped off. I can't support it.

Now, I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate manufacturers in China, as well. But, I don't have the knowledge, time, or will, as a consumer, to attempt to vet them - I simply couldn't trust that I know what I'm getting. As a business, sure, you can fly a staff over, do plant visits, monitor processes, audit them, etc. But that's well beyond the scope of a consumer's ability.

But in the spirit of keeping this relevant to the R8 forum - I'll put my thoughts in context to your brakes. The research I've done tells me that it's highly unlikely you'd be getting OEM R8 brakes from China. As I stated in your original thread, SHW (the OEM) has been around for a long, long time, and they're supplying the top German auto manufacturers - Porsche, BMW, Audi. They're claiming to manufacture their brakes in Germany, and as a public (regulated, audited) company, it would be quite the scandal if it were one big lie, with the "real thing" secretly coming out of China. I could only conclude that you're getting a knock-off from Alibaba. So, now I'd be seriously concerned about what you're putting on your car. I drive my R8 hard, and I need to trust that it's safe. I couldn't have that confidence if a major safety part (brakes) were of unknown origin and quality. Any savings here just simply isn't worth risking my safety.

· Vendor
3,066 Posts
Buying Chinese knock offs should not be condoned. Period. You are only fooling yourself.

most of it is plain theft from legitimate businesses.

And what exactly is the verification process from your employee?

“Hello - is this boss of Guangzhou brakes company?”
Yes
“Is this scam?”
No
“brakes are real?”
Yes
“Brakes safe?”
Yes, full refund excluding shipping costs if big boss die in brake accident

“Hold on….” switches to other line “Mr. Judd big boss - research done. All good - no scam. Real thing. Your life in good hands"

Ezmaass - you are far too generous with your time on this.

· Premium Member
753 Posts
Did racism seriously get thrown into the Alibaba “OEM” conversation? Nice attempt to alienate the opposition with todays trendy excuse. Be happy with your “good deal” find, but don’t spread your rhetoric. You’re not an engineer, nor did you produce these products, and you don’t know these are OE. “But they are stamped with the logo…” Stop it.

· Registered
848 Posts
Did racism seriously get thrown into the Alibaba “OEM” conversation? Nice attempt to alienate the opposition with todays trendy excuse. Be happy with your “good deal” find, but don’t spread your rhetoric. You’re not an engineer, nor did you produce these products, and you don’t know these are OE. “But they are stamped with the logo…” Stop it.
Remember, you're not allowed to disagree. If you do, it is not because you may have a differing and honest opinion, it is because you must be a racist.

Reactions: RNLabas

· Registered
848 Posts
For this line, I have blocked the OP.

"I also think there is a heafty amount of racism but thats another matter."

No need and irrelevant to the discussion.

· Vendor
3,066 Posts
For this line, I have blocked the OP.

"I also think there is a heafty amount of racism but thats another matter."

No need and irrelevant to the discussion.
Cannot see what on earth race has to do with this. A judgement is being made about goods made in China, not the Chinese.

China has built a reputation for quick, low cost production.

It has also built a reputation for poor quality, unscrupulous treatment of its employees and customers, and a disregard for safety. This is as a result of exploitation and a lack of human rights and justice system. People have every right to be skeptical - and nothing to do with race.

Doubt that JuddS would want to import life saving medicines from there. Would be a tenth of the price. Would that be racism?

The wealthy Chinese prefer to buy original foreign goods. Are they also racist?

· Banned
185 Posts
Who exactly did you post this for? Yourself? If you have an R8 and you have to buy cheap Alibaba junk to use on your R8, than you’ve got some really bad priorities in life and should focus on creating more wealth or sell the R8

· Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,633 Posts
Wanna buy some cheap / tacky LED lights for your R8 or any other car for that matter, cool! But BRAKES? Not a chance, they couldn’t be cheap enough for me to put alibaba sourced brakes on any car that I or my family will drive/sit in.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, Ill post more when I have a laptop but i drove the R8 Chicago to St. Louis today (such a great road trip car) and am going to bed. I'm not trolling about this topic and am serious. The brake thread I posted was clearly some theatrics in parts but I'm not doing that here. I'm serious that there is real benefit in Alibaba and I agree with a lot of you. There is real crap that can be purchased from China. But the general perception of china = crap is simply false. Its wrong and an outdated mentality. Go to the nice areas of Beijing and then go to NYC and tell me which is nicer and more advanced. Ill take living in 'merica over any country in the world hands down, but that doesn't mean there are not other places outside of usa (including the state of Canada) and Europe that produce quality product.

I also really agree with whoever said everyone needs to chill out a bit. Get those r8s out of their climate controlled bubbles and stretch their legs. Its vacation season in the northern climates and warm weather also heals the soul! I'm headed back to Ecuador as they just reopened the land border with Peru yesterday so I'm continuing my motorcycle journey south. But first some surfing! Good times!

· Registered
30 Posts
Guys, Ill post more when I have a laptop but i drove the R8 Chicago to St. Louis today (such a great road trip car) and am going to bed. I'm not trolling about this topic and am serious. The brake thread I posted was clearly some theatrics in parts but I'm not doing that here. I'm serious that there is real benefit in Alibaba and I agree with a lot of you. There is real crap that can be purchased from China. But the general perception of china = crap is simply false. Its wrong and an outdated mentality.
I saw nobody posting these sentiments. Many factory parts on our cars are made in China. The difference is those parts are subjected to the standards with which the OEMs must comply. The cheap "deals" aren't. It isn't a question of country of origin, it is a question of safety.

· Registered
228 Posts
Wanna buy some cheap / tacky LED lights for your R8 or any other car for that matter, cool! But BRAKES? Not a chance, they couldn’t be cheap enough for me to put alibaba sourced brakes on any car that I or my family will drive/sit in.
I highly doubt anyone that can afford an R8 would be so weak minded they'd buy brakes from alibaba to save a few pesos...

· Vendor
3,066 Posts
I saw nobody posting these sentiments. Many factory parts on our cars are made in China. The difference is those parts are subjected to the standards with which the OEMs must comply. The cheap "deals" aren't. It isn't a question of country of origin, it is a question of safety.
exactly

made in China is different to faked in China

· Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,633 Posts
I highly doubt anyone that can afford an R8 would be so weak minded they'd buy brakes from alibaba to save a few pesos...
Well, don’t doubt it because that’s what all this drama is about. OP did exactly that..

· Registered
46 Posts
Brakes and mechanical parts I definitely wouldn't go down that route unless it's a proven and reviewed product.. However i'm going to be purchasing a Carbon Fibre rear wing from AliExpress rather than an OEM GT Wing

Yes it's likely not going to be to the same quality as a real carbon wing from Audi but for the price difference, to me the aftermarket is 100% worth it as the visual difference between oem will be neglibile for the price.

I was looking at magride replacements also but I think they turned out to be shorter than OEM so definitely a no go.. As with anything, research on a case by case basis.. To write it off as all crap because it's from China is silly when there's some great deals to be had, but as long as i'm not gunneia pigging any product and it has good feedback with others here i'll be more than happy to go down that route

· Registered
363 Posts
Well, don’t doubt it because that’s what all this drama is about. OP did exactly that..
He claims he did it.

Asked over and over, no proof of the items.
No proof of install.
No proof of bill of lading or invoice from said supplier.

All lies and trolling.
OP has zero credibility other than he's shooting for the #1 troll title.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts