Audi R8 Forums banner

Alibaba Rotor Failure

12K views 131 replies 28 participants last post by  V10MANUAL 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, guys. So. My Alibaba rotors didn't go the distance. I'm starting to think they may not have been genuine. Either that or a factory defect but they got really squishy recently and are no longer safe.

EDITED AND DELEATED

My car is at audi now for an oil change and I'm taking a cross country road trip next week so need this done asap. Audi quoted me about $7,500 for front and back rotors and pads and I got a quote from Midwest Performance Sports Cars for $6,400. The only difference I see is that the performance one includes a hardware change.

If I recall, R8 stuff was cheapest but some of you had attractive offers from indy shops. I really don't remember, but I think I calculated like $5k installed was a good price.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Aren’t you on a moto trip through south america?

Reactions: Malar1898
#6 ·
Sorry those rotors didn’t work out for you. I’m glad there was no catastrophic event.

There are plenty of other threads on rotors with all the details you need, including Alibaba discussions: Rotors - Brakes Suggestions/Help

You can get OEM rotors from SHW (distributed by VNE) for $600 for all 4. If you’re worried about price and want OEM quality, this is the best option.

If you want complete confidence, get the SHW rotors through Audi from R8-stuff. Or your local Audi dealer if you don’t have time for shipping before your trip.

If you want higher performance, go GiroDisc.

I disagree that the previous thread was deleted because of “greedy Communist moderators.” Only a greedy capitalist would do that. :D
But more likely…it was deleted because that thread was getting out of hand.

#8 ·
The old thread was deleted due to communism or fascism. I always get the two mixed up, but I prefer to yell commie bastard at people instead of fascist prick. It just has a better ring to it.

R8 stuff, will you send me the rotors next day air? I'll mail you a check for the full amount plus 10%. And I'll apologize. But I won't take anything down from my posts. This is 'merica my friend. And in 'merica we ain't gotta listen to no one and have free speech. That, plus zim asking the mods to venmo them money to leave it up. What is their Venmo?

#11 ·
The old thread was deleted due to communism or fascism. I always get the two mixed up, but I prefer to yell commie bastard at people instead of fascist prick. It just has a better ring to it.

R8 stuff, will you send me the rotors next day air? I'll mail you a check for the full amount plus 10%. And I'll apologize. But I won't take anything down from my posts. This is 'merica my friend. And in 'merica we ain't gotta listen to no one and have free speech. That, plus zim asking the mods to venmo them money to leave it up. What is their Venmo?
Listen "Amber" - you can speak freely but you cannot defame.

We will not be supplying you with any parts.

#13 ·
How about this r8 stuff. You mail them 2 day air and I'll increase my price to 15% above normal. I'll mail the check as soon as I get the parts. But this is my final offer. We can also give the commies a $200 venmo payment. Everyone needs a puece of the action. Deal?

I really need them this week though. Please.

#17 ·
I'll mail the check as soon as I get the parts.
LOL. This is ridiculous. No one in their right mind would go for this “check’s in the mail” deal, even if it were 500% markup. Because there’s a 99.9% chance of never being paid.

Too many things aren’t adding up. This tread is looking more and more like a snipe hunt. Which is fine, as long as you don’t take things too seriously.

#15 ·
Ok, guys. So. My Alibaba rotors didn't go the distance. I'm starting to think they may not have been genuine. Either that or a factory defect but they got really squishy recently and are no longer safe.

Since the communist moderators on this site who get financial kickbacks from Vendors who pay them monthly fees decided to delete the thread from a few months ago on rotors, I don't have any of that info saved on pricing.

My car is at audi now for an oil change and I'm taking a cross country road trip next week so need this done asap. Audi quoted me about $7,500 for front and back rotors and pads and I got a quote from Midwest Performance Sports Cars for $6,400. The only difference I see is that the performance one includes a hardware change.

If I recall, R8 stuff was cheapest but some of you had attractive offers from indy shops. I really don't remember, but I think I calculated like $5k installed was a good price.
"Squishy" brakes in the city (not the track) should be the pads worst case and/or your brakes need to be bled. This description is not a rotor issue unless material has vanished. If it was at the track then poor cooling of the rotors will fade pads and boil fluid. All bad...and result in squishy to no pedal.

As noted, earlier I wanted that thread to stay and simply remove the unnecessary club pic. Save the kickbacks and communist nonsense. I so dislike the dogma from either side. It seems most on this forum are similar...moderate.

But if you want bullet proof, confident, smooth, safe and quiet brakes... Upgraded USA engineered, sourced and made Girodiscs with Street Magic Pads is $2830 plus shipping. 13,000 miles pushed and my pads have 75% life left. Confident, smooth and quiet.

Labor - 4 hours of labor to install these would be a loooong time. Should be more like 2 hours taking your time with the correct tools including triple square drive for the back..

#75 ·
🤣

JuddS is hilarious - I think some people are not reading his sense of humor.
No one likes humor more than me but making derogatory and false claims about vendors and moderators will not be allowed. So giving him another hour to remove and if not I will laughingly ban him for a week

#24 ·
Agree and from all the posts I've seen from you, they have been nothing but helpful. Plus if it's your livelihood, to cast dispersion literally could cost $$.

Also, I'm on the verge of becoming a vendor (a few more sales to confirm a solid reason to) and I know I'm not the kind of man who would participate in any funny business.

#26 ·
How did that even happen???

#34 ·
just read recently a jeep owner is being sued because his car, while in the shop, was started with clutch engaged and then erroneously let out by the tech and hit another tech and killed him by pinning him to a parts counter top. The law said that the owner is responsible for any damage regardless if they are there or not and the repair shop cannot be sued. Ridiculous.

#37 ·
I'm flabbergasted that the R8 rotors, made in Germany, but obtained at a fraction of the price from Alibaba, and shipped from China, wouldn't be the genuine article... totally beside myself in shock! :eek:

#40 ·
This post got me thinking, maybe I didn’t get genuine OEM from Alibaba either. I actually bought my R8 there. I think it was the same seller @JuddS used. Ironically, the brakes are fantastic.

#43 ·
Let's take an honest pole. How many of the people who have been offended by me have received a blowjob in the past 30 days? How many who are not offended have received one? If anyone knows how to do those pole things on here, please set it up.

Also, my joking aside about R8 Stuff has nothing to do with his quality nor integrity. He clearly is trusted on this site and has delivered a lot to the r8 community for years on end. His prices are great and every single reference I've heard about him has been great. I am not saying a single bad thing about him (other than likely needing to change his pole results) or his business.

And also, I never bought alibaba rotors. What kind of idiota believes that a guy like me with no car knowlege and a complete dealer service history would actually buy rotors from alibaba? But I was gay in college and called Big Al. It was just a phase though.

Also to the guy talking about us as being an aggressive country, you are right. We are the top dog and ruthless. Totally ruthless. Perhaps not for long given the way things are going, but I dont think any of us deny that when it suits our national interests we will take care of business. And I'm being serious here for one moment (which I rarely am), let's please try to leave comments about race and religion out of this site. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I have some strong ones as well on some issues, but in my mind it kind of crosses the line to put them into a car forum. It's a pretty hot button issue and there are plenty of forms I'm sure to share those thoughts.

#52 ·
And wait, I have another serious question. Mr Ahlman said my brake issue could be related to needing to bleed the breaks. I do need new rotors as the ones I have are original and pitted. But how do I "bleed" the brakes. Perhaps that's all I need to do before my road trip next week. It shpuld also be noted that the car was sitting for about a month before my last drive. It may have even been 6 weeks as I've been on the road.

#54 ·
Pitted rotors aren't really a problem. The brake pads will clean up the surface each time you apply the brakes. You really only need to replace the rotors if they are below the minimum thickness or if they become warped (causing your steering wheel to wobble during braking or maybe causing a slow pulsing in the brake pedal when braking.)

Bleeding the brakes really just means changing the brake fluid and making sure there is no air in the lines. Air compresses and can cause a mushy pedal. Also, brake fluid absorbs water from the air over time, and that water will boil under heavy braking, which will also cause mushy pedal. Standard brake fluid should be replaced every year to maintain optimum performance. There are some more premium fluids that can go two years.

Send me a money order for $400 and I'll come bleed your brakes for you after I deposit the money. ;)

Reactions: utahphunk and JuddS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.