Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I was out today with a bunch of 15 cars or so and at around 227k on an undulating road the car felt downright unsafe. Weaving from side to side on road deformaties whereas it did not before. Now the Calgary area has $hitty roads and they call themselves a world class city and I have hit some huge holes and bumps. So the question is - do I start at the dealer or go direct to some reputable alignment center? What does everyone else do? Advice appreciated please.

·
Registered
379 Posts
First place to start, is probably your tire pressures. Mine felt this way when I picked it up and I noticed the pressures were around 49-51lbs! Way too high. Lowered to about 38 and the car feels solid.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Assuming your tyres are worn evenly and as suggested above, the pressures are correct, then an alignment check at a good independent is the next step.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Go indi try avoid stealer. Any one knows if is good to get alignment once a year or only when you feel the car is pulling?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't necessarily sound like the alignment to me. If you're tracking straight and your tire wear is good (even), I'd guess bushings are your culprit. Basically, you want to have the shop to look for excess play anywhere in the steering and suspension.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is the road you were on grooved? I have had the same experience and thought it was my car. Turned out that the smallest grooves in the road made it feel loose like it was weaving.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Make sure you have shims on hand for alignment.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses all. I must say the tires have not changed pressure from when it was tracking true. But I will check them with a proper good quality gauge. Then report back. So now I will ask the Sales Manager at my dealer where the R8 guys go. Also mine does not have mag ride as it is a Canadian RWS. Adjustment is similar to the LMS cars. I only noticed this as a distinct handling difference from previous good speed runs on the same road. I will get it fixed prior to putting it to bed for winter around end of Oct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts