Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I chipped my car here in The Netherlands.

It took about 3 hours to remap the ECU. First they read out the 2! computers on a laptop that took about 30 minutes, after that they start modifying it, which took about an hour, the reload into the car took another 30 minutes. And after that we made a testdrive.

Before the chip I manually clocked two times:

1) from 80 to 140 km/h in 4th gear, about 6,5 seconds
2) from 80 to 140 km/h in 6th gear, about 12,5 seconds

After the chip:

1) from 80 to 140 km/h in 4th gear, about 5,5 seconds
2) from 80 to 140 km/h in 6th gear, about 11 seconds

Tomorrow I'll try to clock the 100 to 140 in 6th gear, CeBe also clocked that one so I'll think its nice to compare.

Maybe some other, not chipped R8's could clock their times also, so we can compare several stock R8's with chipped R8's!?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so EdoctaT, but I received a two year warrantee certificate with it!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Does the warranty only cover their work.

I'd be very concerned if it invaldates the Audi one....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine and drivetrain

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lower gear times are faster also, but it is more difficult to measure.

I took the same test as CeBe for the 100 to 140 km/h in 6th gear. I also measure 7,5 a 8 seconds, but I don't know what it was before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congratulations Guilty!

If I am right, they only optimize the software in the chip without replacing it. This meaning that it is not detectable during the maintenance checks and you do not need to let the insurance know.

Have you got a chance to clock the 0-100kmh? Or max speed (in Germany obviously!)?

Last question: how many kms does the car need to have before tuning the engine? I have been advised to wait till 4-5000 kms.

I might probably go for ziptuning (I guess this is one you used?).

I am getting mine at the end of Feb! Can't wait (for the car and the chiptuning)!! :D

Please give us some updates on your driving experience!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're correct, no chip change, just a new upload through the checkup port!

Not able to clock the 0-100 time. Max speed will be tested ASAP (with GPS unit for accurate speed!!)

The car is more responsive en easier to drive in lower revs. And!! Is consumes about 10% less fuel!

The revlimiter is set somewhat higher and that seems nice working also.

The lag I noticed when shifting fast at the beginning of the gearchange is nearly gone!

I'm satisfied!

BTW I tuned it at digitune.nl ZIPTuning was not responding to my mails!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guilty:
Excellent! Thanks for the update!
Please let us know about the max speed. I guess the difference between 301 and 310-315 is not a huge thing (at least you will be faster than the 997 TT). More important is the benefits you get when driving the car everyday.
The 0-100 time is probably around 4.3s
Strange but Zip did not come back to me in the first place either. I had to give them a call.. Too bad, they may well have lost a potential customer.
I will wait a couple of thousands kms before having the car chipped up.
Will obviously share my experiences on the site.
Have fun!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm. Less fuel and more power = Leaner conditions. Could be potential for damage in certain situations. Do be careful!
Nope, its with all the chiptunings of all cars. All cars wil consume less after chiptuning.

Its completely safe and i've 2 year warrantee!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Guilty!
How are you getting on with your tuned engine? Any chance to test the top speed or the 0-100kmh mark?
Can't wait to do the same with mine..
Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
0-100 not yet. Autobahn 300km/h with some power left, but I was running out of tarmac.

But beware! My paint is chipped also now :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
:eek:
Does the warranty only cover their work.

I'd be very concerned if it invaldates the Audi one....
In most cases, modifying the car will void your manufacturers warrenty.

If an issue can be traced back to your aftermarket ECU they can refuse to do the necessary repairs under warranty. Although it is more "rare" it is a possibility for anyone doing these kinds of modifications to the car while under warranty. The only kind that should not do so; would be vendors aftermarket parts Authorized by Audi.

·
Registered
293 Posts
:eek:

In most cases, modifying the car will void your manufacturers warrenty.

If an issue can be traced back to your aftermarket ECU they can refuse to do the necessary repairs under warranty. Although it is more "rare" it is a possibility for anyone doing these kinds of modifications to the car while under warranty. The only kind that should not do so; would be vendors aftermarket parts Authorized by Audi.

I don't think there are any Audi authorized aftermarket parts for the R8 yet, are there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not that I know of. The best way to find out would be to contact your dealer and ask. In most cases, dealer support of aftermarket tuning components (non-costmetic) is rather limited or not supported at all. Many times if you have a good repore with your dealer it isn't an issue. But it is still a possibility; that holds true with modifying any car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts