Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I'm genuinely disliking the gear lever on my r8 for two reasons.
1- I simply don't like how the aluminum body looks. Admitedly it looks better than some cheap plastic but I still don't like it.
The fix for this one is simple. I can simply wrap it with CF (not vinyl. it'll be real CF.) It'll take a little while to do it properly but CF should improve how the lever looks.
2- It is too big/tall.
Given it is useless for most of the time for me, I want it out of the way. I am thinking about retrofitting the lever with one from a Q7, like the one in the following link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carbon-Fiber-Cup-Holder-Decorative-Frame-For-Audi-Q7-2016-Car-Styling-Control-Gear-Shift-Panel/32791251609.html

It is sits much lower (I went to see one in the dealership. It looks like an inch shorter.)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've decided I'm genuinely disliking the gear lever on my r8 for two reasons.
1- I simply don't like how the aluminum body looks. Admitedly it looks better than some cheap plastic but I still don't like it.
The fix for this one is simple. I can simply wrap it with CF (not vinyl. it'll be real CF.) It'll take a little while to do it properly but CF should improve how the lever looks.
2- It is too big/tall.
Given it is useless for most of the time for me, I want it out of the way. I am thinking about retrofitting the lever with one from a Q7, like the one in the following link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carbon-Fiber-Cup-Holder-Decorative-Frame-For-Audi-Q7-2016-Car-Styling-Control-Gear-Shift-Panel/32791251609.html

It is sits much lower (I went to see one in the dealership. It looks like an inch shorter.)

What do you guys think?
Looks cool, indeed Audi should have been more conscious and not put too much plastic in that specific area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This! I utterly detest that shifter. Now that the OP mentioned, the standard ones from rentals are indeed lower profile and be better suited for the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was looking at the differences and it appears the Q7 could be used just wonder about the wiring connector and pin-out. I think the reason why the R8 knob is taller is the the lower panel (volume knob etc) is much narrower than on the Q7 and the handle may overlap some of the lower panel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the differences and it appears the Q7 could be used just wonder about the wiring connector and pin-out. I think the reason why the R8 knob is taller is the the lower panel (volume knob etc) is much narrower than on the Q7 and the handle may overlap some of the lower panel.
Looking at the pictures I found in the net, the connector type seems to be the same (or very similar.) As a matter of fact, I think the possibility of them being the same is very high. I’ll first try to exchange the innards. If it works, we are good. If it doesn’t, there isn’t much a dremel and a soldering tool cannot fix :)

I think the bigger challenge will be wrapping the aluminum body and making it look good. I do not think I can use prepreg (too stiff to mold into all the holes and crevices...) It’ll take me a long time to do it properly using CF sheets...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got the Q7 gear lever. It is plug and play on the connector and housing (just pulled the original one out and put the new one in.) I just have to transfer the leather bonet (is that what it's called?)

The hight difference is pretty substantial. The Q7 one is low and out of the way. Like it a lot.

BTW, the aluminum part is not so visible, so I may leave it alone. Hiwever, on the top cover piece, I have to go with CF. It'll look much nicer.

I'll post a new picture when I am done.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like them both. Nice work. What is most annoying is that the + and - are opposite of bmw (and now porsche) for manual shifting. Altho with paddle extensions you really dont even need it
That’s one of the reason why I’ve stopped using the lever all together.

I can open up the lower unit and try switching +/-. I am not sure if it is worth it though...

·
Registered
371 Posts
That’s one of the reason why I’ve stopped using the lever all together.

I can open up the lower unit and try switching +/-. I am not sure if it is worth it though...
Not worth it and the fact that the +/- are still opposite on the trim piece would confuse me even more, lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally done with laminating the top cover with CF.

As usual with any CF work I do, it took longer than anticipated.

After removing the leather cover, I realized the top of the cover piece is actually some rubbery compound. Trimming it down to bare minimum took a little while (after all, one cannot send it down :()

Then I wrapped it with 2x2 twill CF, and applied something like a billion layers of resin (seriously, I lost count how many layers, probably 8 to 10), while sanding and smoothing between the layers. Once I had the imperfections gone, i sanded the whole thing with 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit sand papers. As the last step, I used headlight-restorer from Meguiar (it really ends up with very clear looking results.)

I am kind of happy with the result, except, it looks more glassy than the OEM CF. Need to find a way to tone it down...

gearshift.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts