Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, carbon is nice and shiny, but I think its not only a worthy add-on to this car.

Maybe the carbon inlay for the enginecompartment is nice, but the blades and the interior, no not for me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ha! I agree with you regarding Carbon Sigma side blades. IMHO they only look good on Daytona Grey or Phantom Black R8. Of course, many members here will not agree...
Regarding interior trim, I like Carbon Sigma trim but, only with Black leather. There is also a Piano Black interior trim option that is little bit cheaper then Carbon Sigma. Or you can go for full leather without Carbon Sigma or Piano Black trims.

So, three choices. More then enough for me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I do like the Carbon in the engine bay ... there is some in the RS4 ... but there is more in the R8 and it looks all the better for it ... imho

But, I'm still undecided about the Carbon sideblades and Carbon inlays for the interior ... I have the carbon interior trim option on the RS4 and it does look lovely with the black leather ... but I'm just a little unsure about the area where your knee will probably rest against on the centre console ... might be nice to have this in leather so it's softer on your knee ... :confused:

As for the sideblades ... I'm still waiting to hear the date when the Audi exclusive option for the paint will be ... then I might just have a single colour exterior ... bodywork and sideblade in teh same colour ... also, I am waiting to hear if the sideblades are easily changed and if it's possible to order ... a spare set ... then you could have all sorts of fun with cusomised artwork on your spare 'blades ... just for shows and meets etc ... :confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
The original "intent" of the designers of the LeMans prototype of the R8 was to emphasize the ALUMINUM aspect of the car with the side blades and other components - sort of the aluminum structure showing through the "skin" of the vehicle. Swapping these aluminum highlights for carbon fiber is like adding lots of carbon fiber to every Porsche except the Carrera GT - done for looks only.
Carbon fiber serves no structural or performance related purpose in this car!

·
Registered
840 Posts
The original "intent" of the designers of the LeMans prototype of the R8 was to emphasize the ALUMINUM aspect of the car with the side blades and other components - sort of the aluminum structure showing through the "skin" of the vehicle. Swapping these aluminum highlights for carbon fiber is like adding lots of carbon fiber to every Porsche except the Carrera GT - done for looks only.
Carbon fiber serves no structural or performance related purpose in this car!
I think the carbon trim that Audi use does look very nice ... if the trim they used in the RS4 is anything to go by ... although I can see what you are getting at, I think.

I'm actually a little baffled by Audi referring to the use of 'lightweight' matrials ... i.e. aluminium chasis and panels ... then producing a car that weighs almost as much as a four door performance family saloon ... i.e. RS4 = 1,650kg while R8 = 1,560kg ... but there is 'significantly less luggage capacity' ... not to mention 'only two seats' ... both have the same engine (ok one is dry sump) and both have four wheel drive ... but the RS4 does not have a completely Aluminium chasis and panels ... so how come the R8 is 'only' 90kg lighter than the RS4 :confused:

imho ... I don't think Audi should make a big deal of lightness in the R8 ... now if it weighed nearer 1,400kg than 1,500kg ... Audi would be quite entitled to talk about the lightness of the R8 ... but it is the wrong side of 1,500kg ... again, imho.

Trimming some of the cabin and engine bay in Carbon Fibre (Sigma in R8 speak) will make it look nice ... but 996TT is quite right ... it's not structural and is just ... window dressing ... albeit nice window dressing ;)

Anyway ... I still love it and will still be buying mine ... asap ... with some carbon fibre ... :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
wouldn't it make a difference in weight carbon fiber is very light
Not really ... not enough of the trim is changed to Carbon Fibre (Sigma in R8 speak) to make any significant reduction to the weight ... it might reduce the weight by 1 or 2 kilos ... but I suspect that is being overly optamistic ... ultimately its 'window dressing' ... albeit very nice 'window dressing'.

·
Registered
190 Posts
for that side blade if it is made in aluminum, i think if you remove the paint and have the raw aluminum laquered it should in theory look great, you could mirror polish it but them you wouldnt be able to laquer it and so it would need constant attention.

Carbon signa is very nice to look at, im in two minds about it but lets see how i feel when i go to see the dealer. if you all all the cardon is works out to £5,900 more. I dont think the carbon will give you that sort of premium at resale, it will be a 'nice to have' but i dont think ppl will pay for it then.

but i do love it so.......(oh what to do, head and heart question again)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Something to consider about carbon side blades -

Aluminium side blades will be very prone to denting, especially when leaning over into engine bay, filling up with fuel and general sitting against the side of car - bad habit for some, especially with studs from jeans pockets!!!

Where as the carbon will be more robust and less likely to end up having small dings????

·
Registered
840 Posts
Something to consider about carbon side blades -

Aluminium side blades will be very prone to denting, especially when leaning over into engine bay, filling up with fuel and general sitting against the side of car - bad habit for some, especially with studs from jeans pockets!!!

Where as the carbon will be more robust and less likely to end up having small dings????
Mmmm ... interesting points here.

I know what you mean about people leaning against cars etc ... although I'd be very annoyed if someone with studded pockets lent carelessly against any of my cars ... although I do have a habit of sitting on the rear wing of my NSX sometimes when I'm chatting to someone by the car ... I've got no dips in them to date and I've had the car for over two years ... so plenty of sitting on the rear wing ... :eek:

When you refer to Aluminium 'blades getting dents and small dings ... are you coming at it from the 'spare pair of side blades someone might swap over to :confused:

All external panels ... come to think of it all major structural components ... are aluminium ... therefore all would be prone to the same dents and small dings surely :confused: ... unless you're thinking any ... bare/polished aluminium would be more prone to maks, be they dents or dinks.

With the carbon sigma 'blades being heavily lacquered I suspect the carbon 'blades will be just as prone to small dings and marks ... and while I don't know, I also suspect that marks and ... heaven forbid ... scratches would be extremely diffficult, if not almost impossible, to get out of the lacquered finish :confused:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Generally curved panels such as front & rear wings have less of a problem, because the surface has less flex than a flat side panel. That is why many side body panels have a prominent crease line to increase surface strength and reduce flex. But with R8 the side blades are very flat and probably will be prone to the odd dent. Don't get me wrong I just believe that the carbon fiber whilst makes a nice contrast on the dark colours (IMHO) is a longer term my practical solution. As for maintaining the carbon - if needs the occasional lacquer and buffing up, this can be done in isolated areas or complete, but you certainly will not need any major panel beating to remove small dings.

I believe that the mobile dent removers will have more of a problem with aluminium as opposed to steel, because steel has a memory and aluminium stretches. Of course this all subjective and you firstly have to decide if you like carbon or not. I was never a great fan of it until I saw the unveiled R8. Loved the blades, like the idea of engine bay - but still not a great fan of the interior bits. Their you go, just another opinion!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Gotcha ... totally see where you are coming from now ... and see why you think the smooth panels that make up the sideblades might be more prone to small dings ... and have to agree too ... the carbon 'blades would certainly be less likely to suffer small 'dings than the standard aluminium ones.

Not sure I that I'm overly impressed by the carbon 'blades ... with you on the carbon in the engine bay ... although at present I'm going for the carbon inlays in the cabin too.

Difference of opinion is great ... without it we'd not have the great discussions that we do ... the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
We all need to have different opinions which leads to varied specifications, otherwise Henry Ford would have got his way and we would all drive black model "T"'s

Differing tatses is what makes this world go round afterall!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
We all need to have different opinions which leads to varied specifications, otherwise Henry Ford would have got his way and we would all drive black model "T"'s

Differing tatses is what makes this world go round afterall!!!!!!!!
Indeed ... I quite agree ... although there's nothing wrong with black ... but, I don't think I'd want a Model T ... unless it was a present and in mint condition ;)

I'm really hoping that it will be possible to buy a spare pair of sideblades ... which as TTej pointed out, when part numbers are known, it should be possible ... then I could get some custom artwork ... or just a one off paint job applied to the spare sideblades ... that way I really would have an R8 that is ... just a little different :)

I think the hard part of getting the second pair of sideblades swapped over ... might be getting my local Audi garage to swap them over if they haven't done the paint job on the sideblades ... :p ... the warrenty might also be an issue ... :confused:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Intersting - A spare pair of customised side blades with specific company advertising could be a neat angle to reclaim some taxes & costs by charging your company for advertising & demo work. After a year convert and paint to what you like and you could recoup a few thousand £'s on your original purchase costs. If don't have your company it could be worth starting one???

Must have a word with my accountant!!!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Intersting - A spare pair of customised side blades with specific company advertising could be a neat angle to reclaim some taxes & costs by charging your company for advertising & demo work. After a year convert and paint to what you like and you could recoup a few thousand £'s on your original purchase costs. If don't have your company it could be worth starting one???

Must have a word with my accountant!!!!!
Mmmm ... hadn't thought of it quite like that ... nice idea ... :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Very good idea indeed.:)

And there was me looking to make it a 'pool car' LOL

Will definatly speak to the accountant about that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dented, dinged or scratched metal parts can be "pulled", filled or the scratches carefully painted in, by companies such as Dentmaster, Chips Away! and others.

You can do nothing with scratched carbon fibre. You cannot
fill in dents or cracks, and if some miserable sod decides to run a key down the side of the car, you cannot fill in the scratches either (unlike paint).

I have a first model RS4, with plenty of carbon fibre in the inside (standard - no extra charge) and it does look good.

But, I don't fancy it on the outside, and the cost of carbon fibre sideblades is quite exhorbitant.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Cannot say I'm a great fan of cosmetic carbon fibre parts either probably due to the number of boyracers here who have (often fake) carbon accessories on their clapped out novas, saxos etc.

But on this train of thought am I the only one who was seriously disappointed by the ordinariness of the interior of the R8, it could have dropped out of any Audi and certainly made me think long and hard about placing n order. From a design perspective it falls a long way short of its competitors.

·
Registered
564 Posts
me again.. discovered this forum today, and really appreciate all you guys posting good info.. let me advise you on a interior issue:

you might have read carmagazines article re the R8 in their dec. issue.
they write that the monoposto (the arc that swings from the center console over to the driver side door) in piano black or carbon fibre - mainly this glossy detail tends to reflect in the windscreen...

i checked it out in my car which currently has a glossy wooden steering wheel.. woud this wheel be bout 20 centimeters more in front i would see it all the time in the windshield... so if this concerns you, you might want to change your order just slightly...

i went for the full leather equipment, which assures free sight

also, re question carbon sideblades or not... if you got a light colored car, take the carbon side blades.. but if its dark, like mine.. phantomblack.. use the silver blades.. just lifts the silhouette of from any silimarl to be mixed up TTs or whatever else is driving around in black...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts