Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere while driving a small stone must have hit the front left of my car, removing a pin head sized chip of paint -- which really stood out against the Phantom Black paint.

My local Audi dealer is owned by an Acura dealer, and their paint and body shop takes care of all Audi work. I drove over last week and the body shop manager asked their paint guy to take a look.

Every single tech was soon surrounding the car, having a look, taking pictures, and chatting. They were a wonderful group.

The paint guy, a bit older like me, took care of the car. He made up a container of paint, patched the spot, let it dry a bit, put on clear coat, and told me to come back in two days for finishing work. I came back as requested and, when he was done, it was as if nothing ever happened.

They never charged me, accepting only my thanks and a cheesecake made by my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
That's great, a professional skilled guy does a great job and gets something nice in return. Costs the shop next to nothing, you are happy, the paint guy is happy and the dealer will be happy when you shop there again.

If only more businesses (and customers) realized what goes round comes round.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Probably cost the shop plenty...Materials, labor, Painters helper, Masking, color sanding, buffing...But since things are slow, Having the guys stay busy doing something is better than paying them to do nothing. And you are very lucky to have a nice dealership.Most are interested only in selling you the car hoping not to see you again, except to sell another car !!!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you get the paint touch up cover option, getting touch ups all comes under the price you pay when you order it. Would probly save you a lot of money if you get a lot of stone chips.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't recall hearing about a paint touch up option, but as long as my wife continues to make to-die-for cheesecakes, I think I'm in good shape. :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
On the subject of paint touch-ups: for small stuff, check for a local purveyor of "micro scratch and dent" repair. I've raved about this before, but if you've never seen it, it is AMAZING what can be done. The guy I've used, has some kind of proprietary method of matching the paint, which, after careful micro sanding and prepping of the small area, he applies with an airbrush---just like fine art work. He does multiple coats, even multiple color coats as appropriate to Audi's factory techniques, and finishes off with clear coat and wet sanding. But all in an area the size of a (small to large as appropriate) coin!!
My beautiful iridiescent Jaspis Green '98 A6 got "keyed" down the fender and 2 doors.
Body shop said "repaint the fenders and 2 doors, cost $1200+". This guy made it look like new for $250!!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I don't recall hearing about a paint touch up option, but as long as my wife continues to make to-die-for cheesecakes, I think I'm in good shape. :)
It's a UK dealership thing, insurance backed. I got it too but haven't used it yet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts