Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is AMI(Audi Music Interface) is located?! :)
Where now is located cdchanger6cd, or in a new position in a glovebox? :confused::confused:

sorry for my poor english ;)
I wish you a nice day! ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anybody put the AMI in their R8?? I was told by Audi they do not make it for the R8. It only works with the 3rd generation MMI...

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Has anybody put the AMI in their R8?? I was told by Audi they do not make it for the R8. It only works with the 3rd generation MMI...
2010 R8's ARE getting "3rd Gen. MMI" , at least starting with build week 32 (aug.1st);

Those of us with 2010's coming built BEFORE wk 32 (28 for me)
were told the AMI was not available (per 2010 order guide) "until August production".

Whether or not that means we also aren't getting gen3 MMI with the higher res. screen etc. is not clear. Stay tuned. My week 28 built car is due at the dealer 9/7.

I'd of course like to have the gen 3 but not enough to pass this car up and order another one! I'm buying it for its automotive characteristics, not it's IT prowess;). I can (and usually do) carry more IT capability in my pocket than the R8's entertainment system offers.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Willy is right, at least from everything that I know, that the AMI won't be available on the US R8s until August builds. But the good news, from AoA's press release today says that std. equipment on the V10 is:

Audi Navigation plus with 3D graphics and real time traffic, 465-watt Bang & Olufsen Sound System®, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth® telephone preparation, SIRIUS satellite radio®

The 3D graphics and real time traffic are a feature of the newer Nav. system!

Time will tell if my early build V10 will have this....hopefully by the end of August! My car is on the ship now!

Willy....check with Sunset...your car may be on the ship also!!!!! :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Willy is right, at least from everything that I know, that the AMI won't be available on the US R8s until August builds. But the good news, from AoA's press release today says that std. equipment on the V10 is:

Audi Navigation plus with 3D graphics and real time traffic, 465-watt Bang & Olufsen Sound System®, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth® telephone preparation, SIRIUS satellite radio®

The 3D graphics and real time traffic are a feature of the newer Nav. system!

Time will tell if my early build V10 will have this....hopefully by the end of August! My car is on the ship now!

Willy....check with Sunset...your car may be on the ship also!!!!! :)

Steve
Our cars must undoubtedly be travelling buddies: from comparing VINs with SBVFV10, our cars are only 5 numbers apart in serial number. Obviously built on the same day by competing teams;). Of course, we know his is faster because he got them to put 2 more cylinders in:). We're both hoping it was a good day of the week...maybe a Wednesday? Not sure if that holds in Germany or not;)

Seriously, SBVFV10, I've thought all along that the v10, having lots of "new" parts, would be likely to have the new nav. plugged into it from the start of (2010) production, since we know they're available over in Ingolstadt for the A3's and TT's. I'm not so sure about the V8: seems like if they were going to "use up" any left over gen2 navs, they'd do it in the v8's that have been getting them all along anyway...until they start honoring orders for the AMI after Aug. 1. I don't know....we'll obviously just have to wait and see. I'd certainly appreciate the gen3 system if I get one, but I'm not going to be a bit disappointed by my car if it's got the gen2...since I'm not really into the electronics anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
it's a NEW navi with cd changer ;)

see MEDIA button:
If you follow back the threads on this you will see that when I proposed that the "MEDIA" button was a sign of the new nav., someone (was it SENATOR?) corrected me, saying that the "MEDIA" button had been appearing during the '09 model year cars WITHOUT the new nav; no one agreed or challenged that statement, so there you are:confused:

I tend to agree with the posts of SBVFV10 that ALL regular production
(build dates beginning sometime in June?/vins ending in ANxxxxxx)2010 cars will have the new nav.. He had 2 separate reps of AudiUS tell him that directly (they called him after he left a msg.) on the telephone.

We have observer reports that there are at least 1 or 2 pre-production 5.2 models out there WITHOUT the new nav. R8ENGLAND reports his new 5.2 has a vin that places it as a 2009 model. Perhaps that's what the v10's out there with old nav. are? The picure will not be entirely clear until some of us (like me and SBVFV10) have our early 2010 cars. Soon:D

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Okay, so it's a bastard, early production child with upgraded NAV but no iPod integration (as evidenced by the CD changer - previous posts have indicated the CD changer is swapped for an iPod doc.)?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It is optional to change the CD changer to Audi Music Interface yer.
RIGHT!! This, I think, is what has made this issue SO CONFUSING!

Whether I'm right or not, I will know to my own satisfaction at least, when I get my car in 4-5 weeks. But I think it works this way:

The iPod dock (big box show in several posts) is the HARDWARE part of the AMI, I think, and THAT is what DOESN"T FIT INTO THE (old) R8. They had to redesign the "firewall" behind the seats because the space available on removal of the 6 changer is not enough, or not the right shape, for that box.

But I think the "new nav upgrade" includes a LOT of other things, and I think from what I've read, that the SOFTWARE part of the AMI, so that the RNS-E system has new iPod handling abilities, is in there, apart from the physical docking ability. I'm hoping that means you can cable one and run it off the RNS. We'll see.

If you didn't order the AMI, or even if you did, if your build date is before week 32 (today!) you get a 6 changer instead with "NAVIGATION PLUS" and, since it's a regular production 2010, you get the NEW RNE-E (elsewhere called "gen 3"), with a higher res. screen, Sirius traffic info interface for nav., improved iPod interfacing abilities, etc.

That, anyway, is what I have been able to put together from all the little bits of information and clues that have been out there. My fellow Oregonian, SBFV10, has personally spoken with 2 AudiUS reps about this. I don't think he got details, but he got FIRM ASSURANCE that ALL regular production 2010 R8's will have the "new nav." (but NOT the DOCK before wk. 32 builds). The rest of the details, as much as I've given, are kind of my theory based on other details I've read out there.

For sure, we WILL see in about 4, or surely 5 weeks:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you follow back the threads on this you will see that when I proposed that the "MEDIA" button was a sign of the new nav., someone (was it SENATOR?) corrected me, saying that the "MEDIA" button had been appearing during the '09 model year cars WITHOUT the new nav; no one agreed or challenged that statement, so there you are:confused:

I tend to agree with the posts of SBVFV10 that ALL regular production
(build dates beginning sometime in June?/vins ending in ANxxxxxx)2010 cars will have the new nav.. He had 2 separate reps of AudiUS tell him that directly (they called him after he left a msg.) on the telephone.

We have observer reports that there are at least 1 or 2 pre-production 5.2 models out there WITHOUT the new nav. R8ENGLAND reports his new 5.2 has a vin that places it as a 2009 model. Perhaps that's what the v10's out there with old nav. are? The picure will not be entirely clear until some of us (like me and SBVFV10) have our early 2010 cars. Soon:D
all ok, but that screen has HIRES lcd... it's new NAV with CD CHANGER

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
all ok, but that screen has HIRES lcd... it's new NAV with CD CHANGER
that's the part I, personally, can't tell: I don't have an R8 around for comparison, but if you say those are the hi resolution characters on that screen, well then obviously it's the new system;

we KNOW all new systems will have the 6 chgr. until this week, when orders for the "AMI option" may be filled on cars started in August;

I was merely pointing out that someone had spoken up and challenged my assertion that "MEDIA" on that second key meant "new nav."

my overall view is: this is all rather moot now; we have assurances (x2) direct from Audi that ALL 2010 R8's in "regular production" (built to sell to coustomers, I think that means) have the new nav;

whether that means from serial # AN000001 or some later car is not clear, and won't be until we get buyers willing to report here what their VIN (or at least serial #) is and what system they got.

so we should be looking at the VIN #, not the dashboard, if we accept that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts