Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anybody shares this problem... I dont know if it was caused by the tinted windows that were put in my R8 as son as it arrived (the windows were taken off to do this), but it seems that there is an annoying craclong noise coming from the windows when they are fully closed that can be heard at low cruising speeds. The noise disappears if i lower the windows lets say half an inch. I don't know if this is do to the mouldings (maybe they are dried out) or maybe the windows were not put in place well, but my Audi dealer has not been able to take care of the problem.

Any insights I would appreciate,

Diego

·
Registered
2020 R8 (Farewell Edition)
108 Posts
I had the same exact experience when I had my window tinted. The sound is cause by the tint film rubbing against the door seals. The best way to get rid of this is to lubricate the seals with silicone based lubricant.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I couldn't stand the thought of some yahoos tearing into my door panels to tint the windows so I opted out. I did recently tint the windows in my RAV and have the exact sound you describe - over every bump. The RAV sits outside - in Tucson- so I'm sure everyone is right. Lube the window guides - then see the post about a horizontal line/film on the inside after leaving the window down - HA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I didnt get one thing clear though... do I have to lube the widow guides (the ones made out of felt on the bottom) or the mouldings on top where the window closes? How often would that lubing have to be?

-Diego

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I didnt get one thing clear though... do I have to lube the widow guides (the ones made out of felt on the bottom) or the mouldings on top where the window closes? How often would that lubing have to be?

-Diego
Try the top first since the sound goes away when you lower the windows.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Not sure if he's still on here after 13 years.

·
Premium Member
5,832 Posts
Sometimes fun to see these super old threads re-emerge! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts