Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nail in the front left tire about three months ago, managed to drive it to the dealer because it was leaking very slowly. The person who saw the nail were one of the two guys that were admiring the car while I was getting coffee. : D

Bad news is I got another nail in the left rear tire yesterday. It is now completely flat. I will call the dealer tomorrow, I am sure(hope) they will put it on a flat bed and take care of it.(less than 20 minutes from house)

I never had a car tow before, what do I need to know? Or tell the tow guy? The car is sitting in the garage, which is quite a bit higher than the street level. do I back it out to the street? Are they able to get this on the flat bed without killing the front because it is so low. Or should I just start praying and the tire will self heal by am?

For those of you have had this experience, pls advise asap, thank you all.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Check your book for tow hook locations . Unless you have been lowered you should have no problem with most flat lift trucks...You can request a flat bed that is ESPECIALLY for LOWERED cars if necessary. Good luck ! :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Two questions.
Does the car come with t he can of inflate goop and a compressor? I thought that it did like the M6!

If you use the goop, does it make such a mess inside the wheel that it is basically useless unless it is a last resort?

Thanks.
Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two questions.
Does the car come with t he can of inflate goop and a compressor? I thought that it did like the M6!

If you use the goop, does it make such a mess inside the wheel that it is basically useless unless it is a last resort?

Thanks.
Steve
I know it came with something, it was explained to me when I picked up the car. The tire will need to be change because they will not patch it. Does it make a mess on the inside of the tire, or the wheel?

·
Registered
138 Posts
don't use the 'goop'!!

it's like flexible, expanding foam, that's sticks like a cat to a carpet to anything it touches, so will totally cake the inner walls of the wheel....

i'd do the mini compressor and very gingerly drive it in....

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
US cars come with a can of tire sealant and a 12V compressor (and a jack, if you ask for it).

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Dealer told me that Audi Roadside has ensured that their contractors have trucks that can load an R8 without scraping. I'd call them and let the tow truck driver figure out the best way to load.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes, you should definitely call the toll-free number that Audi gave you in your leather owner's manual binder. They will arrange towing with someone who knows what they're doing. If you do it any other way, you really risk being very disapointed and out a bunch of money.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Should I try this? Is this the stuff that will mess up the inside of the wheels?
Don't use the goo unless you are really and truly in trouble and can't wait for the tow (like if you are fleeing a zombie army, for example.) Not only will it negate any chance of saving the tire but also the mechanic will curse you, your children, and your children's children.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't use the goo unless you are really and truly in trouble and can't wait for the tow (like if you are fleeing a zombie army, for example.) Not only will it negate any chance of saving the tire but also the mechanic will curse you, your children, and your children's children.
Thanks for your advise, don’t need to have all 3 generations cursed. ; D. I did put some air in using the compressor that came with the car. There ius a chance I might attempt to drive it to the dealer in the am after I put more air in.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Why don't you just jack the car up and take the wheel off and take the wheel to a tyre shop in another car (or SUV) Whole job done in a couple of hours and R8 back on the road! (assuming you don't live miles from a town)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why don't you just jack the car up and take the wheel off and take the wheel to a tyre shop in another car (or SUV) Whole job done in a couple of hours and R8 back on the road! (assuming you don't live miles from a town)
I bought the tire/wheels insurance. I think I have to take it in so they can check it out. This is my second nail in 7 months of ownership. It is a good thing I bought that tire insurance, and that info came from members here. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I had my car towed. I watched the tow operator like a hawk. He was VERY careful. See my photos attached. Note the extra wood planks that extend the angle needed. Without these the front and rear will scrape.

All R8s come with a mini-air pump. I would use this to see if the tire would stay inflated for one hour. If it does then drive the car to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
More pictures

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm amazed you didn't scrape at that angle even with the wood. The numpty who tried to get me on his trailer in the dark and wet caused £2k's worth of damage to spoiler, cill and alloys. The only foolproof way is to arrange for a flat demountable trailer bed.

The slime is useless for anything bigger than a hole caused by a quark. Buy a spare and courier it along with you.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
for those who've had a flat bed "tow" in their R8's (esp. in the US):

did they use your screw-in "towing eye"?

I had a flat bed tow with my A6 and the guy blew it off!
insisted on putting his clunky hook on my front suspension!
I warned him, but it ended up doing no harm.

the towing attendent (AAA, not Audi Care)at the time made the comment that:
"a lot of those furrin' cars have them things, but they ain't no good and in fact they's dangerous":rolleyes::rolleyes:

so much for the hours Audi spent engineering their towing eye!
I would HOPE that if you call Audi Care with an R8 they MIGHT send you somebody who knows how to tow it:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts