Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it weigh?

No, don't just say 1560kg. What I am really interested is how much does it 'really' weigh, so that I can understand how it compares with its peers.

I spoke to my colleagues at EVO and unfortunately they didn't weigh the R8 when they had it on test recently, so has anyone else seen a measured weight rather than the manufacturers quoted weight?

What standard do Audi usually publish their vehicle weights? Is it to DIN standard like Porsche, or do they quote to a version of EC1 type (i.e. vehicle with fluids + 68kg driver + 7kg luggage +90% tank of fuel).

I am curious and cannot yet find any test that measures this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good question. In the US, Audi said curb weight is 3450 pounds. In recent test by Car and Driver, I believe Car and Driver shows a curb weight of 3560 pounds. ??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your very right in saying that the published weight is 1560kg, but this is kerb wieght (unladen weight).

The actual GROSS vehicle weight stated by Audi will be 1860kg

·
Registered
647 Posts
How much does it weigh?

No, don't just say 1560kg. What I am really interested is how much does it 'really' weigh, so that I can understand how it compares with its peers.

I spoke to my colleagues at EVO and unfortunately they didn't weigh the R8 when they had it on test recently, so has anyone else seen a measured weight rather than the manufacturers quoted weight?

What standard do Audi usually publish their vehicle weights? Is it to DIN standard like Porsche, or do they quote to a version of EC1 type (i.e. vehicle with fluids + 68kg driver + 7kg luggage +90% tank of fuel).

I am curious and cannot yet find any test that measures this.
Steve,
Official weight is 1560kg(DIN) or 1635kg(EC1).

Here are measurements by German mags:

AMS(manual, electric seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1632kg
Auto Zeitung(manual, Bucket seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1580kg
Sport Auto(manual, Bucket seats, Ceramic brakes, standard suspension) 1595kg

All German mags measure the car with full tank and NO driver.
Realistic difference in weight between car with standard(electric) seats and the one with Bucket seats is around 30kg...
To keep the car below 1600kg you NEED Bucket seats...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Steve,
Official weight is 1560kg(DIN) or 1635kg(EC1).

Here are measurements by German mags:

AMS(manual, electric seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1632kg
Auto Zeitung(manual, Bucket seats, standard brakes, Magnetic Ride) 1580kg
Sport Auto(manual, Bucket seats, Ceramic brakes, standard suspension) 1595kg

All German mags measure the car with full tank and NO driver.
Realistic difference in weight between car with standard(electric) seats and the one with Bucket seats is around 30kg...
To keep the car below 1600kg you NEED Bucket seats...
Thanks Kreso! It sounds like Audi's figures are conservative then. 1595kg, if that includes a full tank of fuel would equal around 1528kg as a DIN weight.

Just flicking through some past issues of Sport Auto. The previous Audi TT 3.2 weighed only 10kg lighter, the Porsche Carerra GT was just over 100kg lighter and the original test for the Gallardo came in at around 25kg more than the R8. Whilst the 997TT is about the same weight. Interesting.

·
Registered
647 Posts
shouldnt the car with buckets, ceramics and std suspension be the lightest?
It should BUT, not with optional B&O sound system.
Difference between standard brakes and Ceramics is only 10kg on R8. Why? Because R8 use very big standard brakes(380mm fronts/356mm rears) and they are the one of the lightest iron brakes on all current sportscars. Optional Ceramics are 380mm fronts/350mm rears and use 6caliper for fronts and 4caliper for rear, unlike standard brakes-8caliper for front/4caliper for rear but, those front calipers on Ceramics are pretty big and heavy so, realistic weight saving is around 10kg on R8...

BTW, standard R8 brakes are together with standard 997 Turbo brakes the best iron brakes on all sportscars currently on the market.

Ceramics have some problems with very low exterior temperature and they do not like wet at all...

·
Registered
564 Posts
It should BUT, not with optional B&O sound system.
Difference between standard brakes and Ceramics is only 10kg on R8. Why? Because R8 use very big standard brakes(380mm fronts/356mm rears) and they are the one of the lightest iron brakes on all current sportscars. Optional Ceramics are 380mm fronts/350mm rears and use 6caliper for fronts and 4caliper for rear, unlike standard brakes-8caliper for front/4caliper for rear but, those front calipers on Ceramics are pretty big and heavy so, realistic weight saving is around 10kg on R8...

BTW, standard R8 brakes are together with standard 997 Turbo brakes the best iron brakes on all sportscars currently on the market.

Ceramics have some problems with very low exterior temperature and they do not like wet at all...
thanks for this comment Kreso
breaks are very important, and so I am glad I went for standard breaks.
I never liked my A6 breaks, in wet on highway, when trying to exit...there was always a huge delay of response, made me very unconfortable

so, if these are the "best" iron breaks.. then
!! really happy here..
this car turns out to be THE surprise, and remembering back in sept when they showed the car in paris... me running to dealer.. making specs and signing contract after just one time sitting in the car... and now this! If I dont stop writing now, I probably repeat myself on and on, on how relieved and happy I am.. haha :D
guess I speak for all of you..

looking forward to my

and maybe a R8talk-trackday on one of the nice european circuits with us members...

btw - we are now debating the cancellation of the prohibition for race circuits here in Switzerland..

·
Registered
782 Posts
shouldnt the car with buckets, ceramics and std suspension be the lightest?
The best weightgain I could get it loose my own overweight haha. Now 100kg, I would like to be 85kg!

·
Registered
564 Posts
The best weightgain I could get it loose my own overweight haha. Now 100kg, I would like to be 85kg!
thats np - if your car is delivered... follow below instructions:

stop
and therefore concentrate on

·
Registered
782 Posts
thats np - if your car is delivered... follow below instructions:

stop
and therefore concentrate on
Yeah! A few kilo's more or less, I don't care!! Still have to wait for at least 5 weeks for my R8. They screwed me. The first R8 end-user deliveries are done this week. And I was promised to get the fourth :/

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah! A few kilo's more or less, I don't care!! Still have to wait for at least 5 weeks for my R8. They screwed me. The first R8 end-user deliveries are done this week. And I was promised to get the fourth :/
patience Guilty ;)...

u get it the same time, maybe even 1 week earlier then myself...
and its still 2007 and only mid year,.. we got the best part of summer ahead of us.. :D :D

All forum members not getting Q3 delivery, pls know, that I am sorry for this statement.. :eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Kreso

do you know how much heavier B&O system is over standard system - must be a lot - like an extra passenger !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kreso

do you know how much heavier B&O system is over standard system - must be a lot - like an extra passenger !:rolleyes:
Not actually!:D Difference is around 20kg's... Is B&O system a must? IMHO for resale value yes, on the other hand if your R8 is a keeper then NO.

Buckets are far more important IMO. But, since most of us are not very patient we won't get them...:(

IMO Buckets are much better seats then standard one despite airbags shortage...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not actually!:D Difference is around 20kg's... Is B&O system a must? IMHO for resale value yes, on the other hand if your R8 is a keeper then NO.

Buckets are far more important IMO. But, since most of us are not very patient we won't get them...:(

IMO Buckets are much better seats then standard one despite airbags shortage...
agreed, and buckets look much better, but remember my thread (http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910) ... I would be satisfied with the S5 seats... but sideairbags in todays world is a must

and B&O, for ME, is also a must. why? cause its a keeper.. and I want good music sometimes (allthough I need to fit a sort of woofer somewhere, to cover the deep frequences better) :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Chris,
B&O system in R8 sound like POS IMHO. I am a true audiophile(my home system is Avalon Isis-speakers, Krell Evolution One-mono amps, Krell Evolution Two-mono preamps, Krell Evolution 505-CD/SACD player, Transparent cables, Finite Elemente racks etc.) and I know what I am talking about...
Mark Levinson soundsystem in some Lexus models or new Bowers & Wilkins system in new Jaguar XKR Portfolio sounds MUCH better then B&O system in R8. Also B&O system in S8 sounds way better to my ears then the one in R8...

BUT, I will listen to V8 engine any way most of the time...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess R8 does not have side airbags on the doors, right? :confused: Because I want to order the bucket seats for V10.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Chris,
B&O system in R8 sound like POS IMHO. I am a true audiophile(my home system is Avalon Isis-speakers, Krell Evolution One-mono amps, Krell Evolution Two-mono preamps, Krell Evolution 505-CD/SACD player, Transparent cables, Finite Elemente racks etc.) and I know what I am talking about...
Mark Levinson soundsystem in some Lexus models or new Bowers & Wilkins system in new Jaguar XKR Portfolio sounds MUCH better then B&O system in R8. Also B&O system in S8 sounds way better to my ears then the one in R8...

BUT, I will listen to V8 engine any way most of the time...
with all due respect - but I believe that B&O sounds AT LEAST a little tiny bit better then standard... so there we go.. I dont want to put 10s of k's into a audio car system.. and B&O is good compromise.
And I use car also for long distances and on some days i might find engine sound not as entertaining as some good music... especially as the car sounds better from the outside..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts