Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation and some opining I went ahead and bought a winter wheel set. I can't deal with garaging this car no matter what kind of nasty stuff they put on the roads around here. I bought this car because it's an exotic that doesn't need an engine rebuild every X0,000 miles. I'm gonna get as much clear bra as I can too. So I want to drive it all year round.

First problem came with ordering the OEM wheel set. I guess Audi USA doesn't have a part number for this, or it's a special part that needs approval from higher up than a dealer parts manager, or a special promotion that is only seasonal (the price extracted was truly "special" for these wheels). It took me insisting that the dealership owner email some rep or another to get it ordered. It came overnight (tho I was quoted a month lead time) so somebody is in a rush to sell me the OEM stuff.

Next? The jack. I don't have a lift so I looked at the manual and checked out the points. Well my more or less barebones car didn't come with a jack, but there's a space for it in the toolkit and the manual calls it optional. The dealer parts guy said the the parts rep told him they don't exist because the car is too low. Seriously!?! I didn't really know what to say. I told him I'd go ahead and find the jack myself and would be by his desk to pick it up when it comes in. Clearly the jack is in the same class of R8 parts as the winter wheel set. A call to the dealership owner got the jack ordered.

So when the temps drop I'm gonna swap wheels myself but of course I'm gonna have to visit service to get the TPMS on the new set recognized by the car (they can't make it easy chez Audi) or so I've heard. That's not a big deal but the final hurdle is the anti-theft lugs. I have the right adapter (at least that came with the car) so I think but I'm not sure how to get the covers off. What's holding them on? Do they just pop off? I was poking around with the hubcap removal tool but am afraid of scratching the wheels and the covers seem to be made of plastic. Does anyone have experience with this?

As a side I special ordered the rear fog lamp from OEM Plus so thank God I don't have to beg someone at the dealership to order it for me, tho I don't know if its a DIY project or not. Has anyone on the forum installed one of these? I know OEM Plus has sold them before. But I didn't find any posts about it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The car jack doesn't come as standard in the US but standard in Europe as far as i know...where are you located? Add it to your profile so people can see it will help people give you info thats related to you. As for the lugs i don't own the car yet so couldn't tell you sorry.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Try the lug nut cover removing tool under bonnet. Plastic long horseshoe tongs thingamajig. It WORKS. :) It's probably in the manual too, and anyone waiting for their delivery could be studying up with the manual PRIOR to delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think i've been proved wrong again :rolleyes: so! V8's don't have a car jack as standard but V10's do? And that doesn't depend on location (which it shouldn't)?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
V8's don't have a car jack as standard but V10's do? And that doesn't depend on location (which it shouldn't)?
Truly, it shouldn't, but it does. No jacks in either car on this side of the pond! Presented as a liability issue by AOA. We have to bitch, moan & complain to get one from Audi here in the US but so far, they have accommodated those that ask.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Don't understand how it would be liability issue :confused: if they can give you them upon request why not give you them to start with...just stupid

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I never thought to search about the jack because I thought since it's in the manual as an option it was a no brainer. But i never imagined the controversy. I forgot that I had seen the post on the fog lamp.

I got the covers off. I didn't scratch anything. But I had to use a surprising amount of force! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
before you spring for a winter wheel and tire pckg. from Audi, check out Tire Rack's suggestion for the R8: that one wheel (O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT) they offer @ around $425 is AMAZING for the price if you look into it. Of course taste is another matter and you may not care for it (though I really don't think it's bad at all).

If you read up on that wheel you will find out that it is NOT forged (which normally you'd want) but it is apparently some NEW CASTING PROCESS (signified by "HLT" it seems); I have forgotten the exact weight they claimed, but it was VERY COMPETITIVE with the factory wheels, which are not bad;

dealing with Tire Rack has always been a distinct pleasure and their phone sales reps are usually extremely knowledgeable and well-informed

if you like that wheel (and after all, it's for your winter tires!), no point paying $800 more per wheel just to have factory wheels; and you can arrange to have them arrive at your door all mounted, dynamically balanced and with TPMS installed so all (Ha!) you have to do is jack up the car and swap. Then go in and get your sensors "enrolled" and you're done!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Don't understand how it would be liability issue :confused: if they can give you them upon request why not give you them to start with...just stupid
Evidently, per Audi, there were initial reports of people being injured using the jack. One of our R8TALK group had a car falling off the jack - could have also been MNGOLFER1? or DESPERADO? I'm pretty sure we all agree though, it's pretty stupid. I wonder if the documentation for 2010 US cars has been updated (references to the jack removed, Willie)?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
If you are having a second set of wheels and willing to change them yourself, just get a good quality low profile rolling floor-jack. You just roll it under the lift spot on each side and pump away and both tires will be off the ground. Change both wheels and repeat on the other side. If your floor-jack is not low enough, you can pull up on a 2x4 with your back tires or similar piece of wood and that should get you the clearance. A quality floor-jacks is much more stable than the OEM scissor type and easy to use in your garage.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I wonder if the documentation for 2010 US cars has been updated (references to the jack removed, Willie)?
as described in the past, the 2010 has a "slot" in it's tool tray in the outline of the jack with its slanted foot, but no jack there (btw: what's the other square empty space for?)

under "What should I be aware of when changing a tire", sub heading
"Raising the vehicle" It says, "The vehicle must be lifted with the jack* first before the wheel can be removed."

(In the manual "*" means "optional equipment, not necessarily supplied")

then continues, "The description for using the vehicle jack only applies to the original jack* (not a vehicle component; contact your authorized Audi dealer if needed)."

The manual then goes on to describe jacking the car with the (non-supplied) jack:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If there EVER in heaven or hell was anything that had ATTORNEY TRACKS all over it to equal that tortured piece of crap prose, I have not seen it:rolleyes:

Obviously, they're afraid you'll hurt either yourself or the car with the jack, but afraid if they totally ignore the issue of how the hell you get a wheel off of the car they sold you, you'll sue them under common-law merchantability law or something like that, since it is common sense obvious that one has to be able to change a wheel on an automobile with pneumatic rubber tires!!!

What an unbelievable pile of S**T. Not that it isn't exactly what I was led to expect by all my valuable acquaintances on this forum, but still.....it's so sad one can only laugh!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I was amazed to find that my car came with a jack spot in the little tray, but alas, no jack.

I think it's quite rude when you end up getting a flat 2500 miles into owning the car and need to pick it up so you can remove the airless tire.

Open the hood, look under the little bottom cover and there's the hole for the jack but where the Hell is the jack? I made a phone call to the dealer and was informed that there was no jack, just an air pump and a bottle of slime to stop the leak.

Really? No jack? WTF???

I need to go look at the links on the previous page and find the jack number that will work - actually, I believe that my Fiance's EOS jack will drop right into the slot. I need to check that first.

A regular floor jack fits quite well - I use a piece of 1.25" diameter tubing that I put into the notch for the non-existent jack that doesn't come with the car and then use the floor jack against the tube. Keeps the pad of the floor jack from compressing the plastic undertray.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
before you spring for a winter wheel and tire pckg. from Audi, check out Tire Rack's suggestion for the R8: that one wheel (O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT) they offer @ around $425 is AMAZING for the price if you look into it. Of course taste is another matter and you may not care for it (though I really don't think it's bad at all).

dealing with Tire Rack has always been a distinct pleasure and their phone sales reps are usually extremely knowledgeable and well-informed

if you like that wheel (and after all, it's for your winter tires!), no point paying $800 more per wheel just to have factory wheels; and you can arrange to have them arrive at your door all mounted, dynamically balanced and with TPMS installed so all (Ha!) you have to do is jack up the car and swap. Then go in and get your sensors "enrolled" and you're done!
You sound like you work for them! Too late, I bought the wheel set already. I got the ones in these threads:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2793

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468

I know from experience that I wanted a narrower track than the 19s and I do prefer the OEM look.

I was amazed to find that my car came with a jack spot in the little tray, but alas, no jack.

I think it's quite rude when you end up getting a flat 2500 miles into owning the car and need to pick it up so you can remove the airless tire.

Open the hood, look under the little bottom cover and there's the hole for the jack but where the Hell is the jack? I made a phone call to the dealer and was informed that there was no jack, just an air pump and a bottle of slime to stop the leak.

Really? No jack? WTF???

I need to go look at the links on the previous page and find the jack number that will work - actually, I believe that my Fiance's EOS jack will drop right into the slot. I need to check that first.

A regular floor jack fits quite well - I use a piece of 1.25" diameter tubing that I put into the notch for the non-existent jack that doesn't come with the car and then use the floor jack against the tube. Keeps the pad of the floor jack from compressing the plastic undertray.
The relevant info on the jack comes from toecutter: "For those who want to order one the Jack is Part # 8J0 01 031. Retail was $180.83
Have you dealer pull up Illustration 011-10. That shows the entire contents of the front boot under the lid."

I'll update this thread if I have any problems getting my jack. $180 for a no-cost option that doesn't exist!?! Why couldn't my dealer parts guy find the part number? WTF indeed.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
For changing wheels at home I use a low profile lightweight aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight. A nice bonus is the two piece removable handle - the whole thing actually sits flat on the floor of the trunk if you want to take it with you to the track.

I really like the idea of the piece of 1-1/4"D. tubing! I'm def going to get a piece to keep in the tool kit.

On the road, I added a tire plug kit in the place the jack goes so I don't have to wait for a flat bed. Of course, that's only good for punctures, not a blowout.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try the lug nut cover removing tool under bonnet. Plastic long horseshoe tongs thingamajig. It WORKS. :) It's probably in the manual too, and anyone waiting for their delivery could be studying up with the manual PRIOR to delivery.
Hi - sorry for thread resurrection but does anyone have a picture / info on location of this as I cannot see it in the toolkit

Thanks

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Reddo,
There should a tool like this in the tool box to pull out those plastic caps. Sorry I do not have the manual ( which a a picture of this tong) Cosmetics Bumper Metal Door handle Aluminium

1 - 17 of 17 Posts