Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we recently had a thread on battery packs. I've been meaning to pick up a new unit, and after doing a bit of research, I settled on the Antigravity XP-10 Heavy Duty (HD) - appears to be their newest unit.

I watched a bunch of YouTube reviews on different units, and what seemed like a popular theme was that the cheaper stuff out there advertises specific "peak" amperage, but it's almost NEVER achievable when put to the test. Most of the lithium units were putting out somewhere between 150 - 220 amps of starting power, despite claims of "peak" 500 - 1,000 (!!) amps of power - and the less powerful of them can barely turn over smaller gas engines. The Antigravity XP-10 is rated for 300 amps of starting power, and in the tests I've seen, it'll actually far exceed that (around 350 amps in some tests). So, the big difference here? Quality, from what I can tell. They advertise actual starting amps and over-deliver on it. Impressively, there are people turning over 6L and larger diesel engines with the XP-10. The XP-10 HD seems to improve on it even a bit further - boosting the 600 peak amps to 650 amps.

Thanks to this forum for turning me on to Antigravity's products! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. If it works well (and I expect it will), I'll probably pick up two more for my other vehicles. I'll post an update here when it arrives.

For anyone interested:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Good find EZ. Any plans to upgrade your stock battery to their lightweight Antigravity Lithium batteries?

The lightest battery (9.8 lbs) that is shown to be compatible with the R8 is the 24Ah=1000CA unit. I wonder if this is sufficient to crank our V10 engine?

Seems these Lithium batteries have up to 3x lifecycle, last up to 9 years and 70% lighter than lead batteries. Is it worth the $659.99 price vs a standard Audi branded AGM battery ($380)?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Interesting. I’d be game for this.
im going to change out battery here in the next year.

do you still trickle charge the Lithium Ion ones, or do you have to plug in like a regular battery? Drain faster over winter compared to lead?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I don't think us R8 owners qualify for any Covid-19 discount or gov handout. :unsure:

Wish it was cheaper...any covid19 discount ?

Reactions: Milo

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
These Lithium batteries do seem to be a good alternative if they truly have over 2x-3x lifecycle and up to 9 years of use. The weight saving is a nice bonus.

You can trickle charge these Lithium batteries but you have to use a CTEK Lithium charger. Antigravity sells these on their website.

Interesting. I’d be game for this.
im going to change out battery here in the next year.

do you still trickle charge the Lithium Ion ones, or do you have to plug in like a regular battery? Drain faster over winter compared to lead?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
So the HS 40 with 1500 cranking amps Is what we’d need for V10?

get a CTek with it. And I assume we could do the same mod to charge on front of vehicle as posted before.

ctek also has a cigarette lighter charging option, but no one wants to leave a door open.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good find EZ. Any plans to upgrade your stock battery to their lightweight Antigravity Lithium batteries?

The lightest battery (9.8 lbs) that is shown to be compatible with the R8 is the 24Ah=1000CA unit. I wonder if this is sufficient to crank our V10 engine?

Seems these Lithium batteries have up to 3x lifecycle, last up to 9 years and 70% lighter than lead batteries. Is it worth the $659.99 price vs a standard Audi branded AGM battery ($380)?
Hi, Howie - thinking about it. My plan is to replace my battery this year - no signs of failure, but clearly I don't want it to get to that point given the pain of dealing with it then. These are considerably more expensive, but if they last as long as they claim, save some weight, AND come with a built-in jump pack... it's hard to resist. The bigger of the two options is about $949, I think - yikes. But, again, if it lasts as long as it says, not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been running the RS30 in my V8 for almost two years now with no problem. Also, the longest stretch I've not driven my car was about 12 days and it fired right up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi, Howie - thinking about it. My plan is to replace my battery this year - no signs of failure, but clearly I don't want it to get to that point given the pain of dealing with it then. These are considerably more expensive, but if they last as long as they claim, save some weight, AND come with a built-in jump pack... it's hard to resist. The bigger of the two options is about $949, I think - yikes. But, again, if it lasts as long as it says, not a bad way to go.
There's no way I'd spend $1000/£800 on a battery!
You talk about the advantages but are they, really?
1. Life span of up to 9 years.
None of these have been around long enough to know yet. What are they actually warranting. To be honest I expect most batteries to last up to that long. how old is yours now? And there's nothing wrong with it. Mines getting on for 9 years and going strong. Will last for over a month without running and start just fine. Depending on how the cars driven the lifespan could be severely depleted long before that and with lithium, letting then get fully discharged, is very damaging. More so than a lead acid I believe.
2. weight saving
Yes they're a fair bit lighter but Audi positioned the battery for weight distribution. Removing that weight might not have the benefits it would at first seem to provide. Plus the weight saving is overall, marginal. Unsprung weight removal is the way to go if you really want to save some weight. Lighter wheels, Carbon ceramic brakes, Carbon prop etc. Even then, are you really going to benefit from this saving unless you're tracking and chasing tenths.
3. in built jump start.
Yeah great but, only really if your out and about and the car suddenly won't start ( which probably means the battery is fubared), is stored some where without access to power, left for some time and at risk of going flat. Which then probably will ruin the battery anyway (see point 1). I would say 99% of people at worst, park on the driveway, at best in a garage with light and power, so connecting a trickle charger is no problem.
Regular batteries can, to some degree, be recovered by a Trickle charger deep maintenance program and/or replacing/topping up the electrolyte. Basically they'll withstand going flat better than a lithium. I believe that when the cathode in the lithium battery is worn out it can't be replaced or recovered.
At those prices I could buy circa 4 regular batteries (albeit probably not from Audi, but the same as they just brand regular batteries). At say a minimum 5 year lifespan giving 20 years total, that's more than twice the stated lifespan of one lithium.
If they were half the price and proven to last then maybe but until then I'll stick with regular.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
All good points. Would be a no brainer if the price of these Lithium batteries are closer to that of lead batteries.

If the lightest H6-24-RS can fire up the V10 reliably, then the price point is more palatable being just double the price of an Audi branded AGM battery.

Only way we'll know is if Ez puts one in his car. ???

Reactions: DaveL

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good points. Would be a no brainer if the price of these Lithium batteries are closer to that of lead batteries.

If the lightest H6-24-RS can fire up the V10 reliably, then the price point is more palatable being just double the price of an Audi branded AGM battery.

Only way we'll know is if Ez puts one in his car. ???
Howie, I may just put two of them in the car. :)

But in all seriousness, seems like a few members have had good luck with them. Yes, the price is steep. I think the above points are valid, as well - many I've thought to myself already. My battery is about 5.5 years old now, and it's not had any issues, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I've had batteries that were OK one day and go down hill quickly. So, I'm a fan of replacing around the 5 year mark.

Regarding the effective lifespan claim, what they say is "7 - 9 years" depending upon use and climate. I still consider that pretty good considering AAA stats suggest the average conventional battery lasts 41 months (southern US climates) to 58 months (northern US climates). I assume, probably very much like Tesla needs to do, the longevity claims are the result of modeling and simulation - to the point of these products still being relatively new; but, there's at least enough science behind lithium-ion batteries to do those projections with some assurance, I'd think. Now, what they'll warranty? 5 years. Still not bad. Replacing the battery in the R8 does require pulling the frunk apart, so perhaps it's worth something, as well, to avoid that process for even a few extra years.

The built-in jump pack, admittedly, probably has limited circumstances where it'll save you - but nonetheless, I'm sure it's well worth it to those that it does "save." The biggest concern for most will be starting the car while away from home - nice convenience if you can avoid flagging down some help, calling roadside assistance, etc. The stand alone jump pack (like I ordered) will also do the job, I suppose - but it's something else to carry and requires access to the frunk (less than convenient if the battery has totally died and requires manually popping it).

All in all, we'll see. It's expensive, but I think it's worth considering.

Now, anyway, my thread was REALLY about the jump pack and not the standard batteries! :) Haha!

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Manual Daytona Grey
125 Posts
Just installed the anti-gravity H7-94R 60amp, definitely is way lighter and starts up right away. They included the Bluetooth battery monitor in the box so you can monitor your cranking power and voltage. It's really 3x the price of the OEM battery but we didn't buy r8 to save money did we.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
One is good, two is better! I like where you're going with this Ez.?

A car battery over 5 years is living on borrowed time. My V8 battery died around the 4 year mark and it happened very suddenly. The car also threw a bunch of codes. The time and costs to the garage to troubleshoot these codes and eventually needing to replace the battery, I would have gladly paid the premium for the Antigravity battery to avoid all the hassle.

It's reassuring the Antigravity automotive batteries come with a 5 year warranty. If it continues working until 9 years, it's a bonus. The wireless jump start feature is also great for storing the car during the winter months without a battery tender.

The XP-10 HD jump pack is good to have since you have more than 1 car. Now you just need the car battery to complete the Antigravity collection. Lol.

Howie, I may just put two of them in the car. :)

But in all seriousness, seems like a few members have had good luck with them. Yes, the price is steep. I think the above points are valid, as well - many I've thought to myself already. My battery is about 5.5 years old now, and it's not had any issues, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I've had batteries that were OK one day and go down hill quickly. So, I'm a fan of replacing around the 5 year mark.

Regarding the effective lifespan claim, what they say is "7 - 9 years" depending upon use and climate. I still consider that pretty good considering AAA stats suggest the average conventional battery lasts 41 months (southern US climates) to 58 months (northern US climates). I assume, probably very much like Tesla needs to do, the longevity claims are the result of modeling and simulation - to the point of these products still being relatively new; but, there's at least enough science behind lithium-ion batteries to do those projections with some assurance, I'd think. Now, what they'll warranty? 5 years. Still not bad. Replacing the battery in the R8 does require pulling the frunk apart, so perhaps it's worth something, as well, to avoid that process for even a few extra years.

The built-in jump pack, admittedly, probably has limited circumstances where it'll save you - but nonetheless, I'm sure it's well worth it to those that it does "save." The biggest concern for most will be starting the car while away from home - nice convenience if you can avoid flagging down some help, calling roadside assistance, etc. The stand alone jump pack (like I ordered) will also do the job, I suppose - but it's something else to carry and requires access to the frunk (less than convenient if the battery has totally died and requires manually popping it).

All in all, we'll see. It's expensive, but I think it's worth considering.

Now, anyway, my thread was REALLY about the jump pack and not the standard batteries! :) Haha!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
So true, it's worth paying a few hundred dollars more for a quality product. How is the fit and is it the same size as the OEM battery?

Do you store your car over the winter? Curious how well the Antigravity holds its charge over a few months without a tender. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Just installed the anti-gravity H7-94R 60amp, definitely is way lighter and starts up right away. They included the Bluetooth battery monitor in the box so you can monitor your cranking power and voltage. It's really 3x the price of the OEM battery but we didn't buy r8 to save money did we.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Saving weight by a lighter battery is not necessarily a good thing. The weight of the R8 is balanced 50%-50% front to rear which is ideal. I still remember the VW Beetle of one of my buddies from the past which had a rear engine and was very unbalanced. Adding weight by putting a bag of sand in the front trunk made handling much better...

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
By that token, for the thousands who have changed their exhaust from stock, they drop 60lbs off the rear of the car. So by those accounts the car won’t drive properly.

So definitely need to do the lighter battery in the front to offset that!

Reactions: Dragonbird

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Also. some of us have some extra pounds around the waist so removing the battery weight at $1k is a cheaper option than a liposuction at $3.5k! ?

Sorry we hijacked your battery jumper thread Ez. ??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts