Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also. some of us have some extra pounds around the waist so removing the battery weight at $1k is a cheaper option than a liposuction at $3.5k! ?

Sorry we hijacked your battery jumper thread Ez. ??
Hahaha, not a problem, Howie - all relevant and good discussion. :)

Saving weight by a lighter battery is not necessarily a good thing. The weight of the R8 is balanced 50%-50% front to rear which is ideal. I still remember the VW Beetle of one of my buddies from the past which had a rear engine and was very unbalanced. Adding weight by putting a bag of sand in the front trunk made handling much better...
If I recall correctly, I don't believe the R8 is 50/50 balanced - I believe it's somewhere around 42/58. But your point is well taken about disturbing the engineered weight balance. That said, I'd hope it's a relatively small adjustment - about 1% of weight on the V10. Or, as noted above, might just be a good reason to balance things out with a lighter exhaust. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is a lot of money and for most people this is only a temporary solution so better compare it to bariatric surgery ?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
My battery is from 2016 and I keep it on a CTek charger but it's feeling it's age, plus I'm about to install some stereo equipment in the frunk which will add some weight so I want to offset that with a lighter battery.

I'm ordering the H7/94R 40Ah. I know some R8's require the H6 size (GT's). I think 40Ah's is more than enough and 60Ah is overkill, but better to have too much than not enough I guess!

For those on the fence I received a coupon code which will knock off 15% "rennlist15". ;)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Thanks Cilent! The coupon code works and saves $142.50 for the 60amp battery. Whatcha waiting for Ez? This is a sign from the gods! ?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks Cilent! The coupon code works and saves $142.50 for the 60amp battery. Whatcha waiting for Ez? This is a sign from the gods! ?
I suppose the only thing left to wait for.... is 20% off? :) I'm going to see how I like their jump pack that I ordered. If I'm sufficiently impressed, I'll probably go ahead and order one. The down side would be that I'd need a new CTEK charger, as well - I don't think the standard battery maintainers can be used on the lithium batteries.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I suppose the only thing left to wait for.... is 20% off? :) I'm going to see how I like their jump pack that I ordered. If I'm sufficiently impressed, I'll probably go ahead and order one. The down side would be that I'd need a new CTEK charger, as well - I don't think the standard battery maintainers can be used on the lithium batteries.
I've heard that to but also heard its not true. Haven't looked into it but as they're still 12v as soon as the charger reaches bulk charge voltage then the battery will be getting charged, the way i see it. Perhaps there's something in the way its delivered or maintained.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Had a quick readaround and found this article which seemed fairly comprehensive.
lithium ion battery tech
It would seem that a dedicated lithium charger is indeed the way to go. Good lead acid type chargers can be used but caution needs to be exercised. Not sure how agm and gel type chargers would fair. Probably the same.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Had a quick readaround and found this article which seemed fairly comprehensive.
lithium ion battery tech
It would seem that a dedicated lithium charger is indeed the way to go. Good lead acid type chargers can be used but caution needs to be exercised. Not sure how agm and gel type chargers would fair. Probably the same.
Yes, I believe it all comes down to the different approaches the charger needs to take to "maintain" the battery based on the chemistry. CTEK does have a Lithium Ion maintainer - but it looks like only one choice at the moment.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You would think that they would include one with the battery at that price. Are the lithium ones usable on regular batteries?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You would think that they would include one with the battery at that price. Are the lithium ones usable on regular batteries?
Nope. Regular chargers should only be used with lead-acid/AGM, and lithium chargers should only be used with lithium batteries - at least that's according to CTEK. Again, I think the chemistry just really changes the way the battery needs to be charged, so the methods are not compatible and could otherwise damage the battery. Ideally, they would just create lithium charging as an OPTION on their standard chargers; however, at this point, they just created a separate charger.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Battery H6/60/RS
(What is the difference between that and the H7? The bottom says H6 or our cars. If the 60 is for the GT, I’d say we should stick with it for the V10)

CTek lithium Ion tender

Coupon Code:
Rennlist15 (saves 15%)

This sound like the proper purchase?

If these batteries sit for a while before install does that effect them?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Just keep it on the charger and you should be fine ...

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Nope. Regular chargers should only be used with lead-acid/AGM, and lithium chargers should only be used with lithium batteries - at least that's according to CTEK. Again, I think the chemistry just really changes the way the battery needs to be charged, so the methods are not compatible and could otherwise damage the battery. Ideally, they would just create lithium charging as an OPTION on their standard chargers; however, at this point, they just created a separate charger.
You're right - the whole charging curve, voltage over time with condition cycling etc, is VERY different for these batteries. Plus the typical lead-acid AGM charger will not have the proper conditioning maintenance cycle that these need to charge fully or correctly. Please stick with the lithium units for a lithium battery !!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Right, from what I can gather on batteryuniversity.com before my brain exploded, lead batteries are toped up using pulses and lithium batteries need the charging to cut off to prevent overcharge/kaboom!

So as all the above gentlemen have confirmed, we need dedicated lithium chargers to charge these expensive Antigravity lithium batteries.

The good news is, Antigravity is actually selling the Ctek lithium charger for less than its sold on Amazon. If you want to save a couple more bucks, Amazon has used ones even cheaper at $77.90.

So, you guys want to do a group buy from Antigravity? I can reach out to them and ask for a 20% discount code as per Ez's request if we have enough takers. ?

Reactions: Milo

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
If you can get a group buy for the correct batteries and the CTek chargers that would be great. I’d try for 25% haha.

Reactions: Milo

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
According to their configurator, both H6 and H7 will fit the R8.

The case of the H6 is a few inches shorter in width and comes in lower battery capacities and the H7 are only available in 40Ah and 60Ah.

If you plan to use this battery in different cars, maybe go for the H6 as this will likely fit in more cars?

Battery H6/60/RS
(What is the difference between that and the H7? The bottom says H6 or our cars. If the 60 is for the GT, I’d say we should stick with it for the V10)

CTek lithium Ion tender

Coupon Code:
Rennlist15 (saves 15%)

This sound like the proper purchase?

If these batteries sit for a while before install does that effect them?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
These batteries are not likely flying off the shelves at the moment so no harm asking for 25%. ??

The correct battery depends on your usage. For track, get their lightest battery.

If you tend to keep your car in storage for long periods, their highest capacity battery is better.

Hopefully their discount code is applicable to all their batteries and we can order whichever battery capacity we need.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, I've received the XP-10 HD jump pack. I'm relatively impressed by the whole package. It appears very well made, nice travel case, tons of adapters (for everything from phones to laptops), home charger cable, 12-v car charger, and very well made jumper cables. The upgraded construction of the cables (and full copper alligator clips) was one of the upgrades from the regular XP-10.

The unit, itself, is relatively light and feels solid. It has a rubberized texture, and all of the buttons feel like good quality. It's easy enough to operate - (1) attach the alligator clips, (2) attach the clips to the battery via a simple plug, and then (3) power the unit on. At that point, you're ready to start the car. Below is a picture of the unit charging up.

Overall I'm happy with it, and I expect I'll order at least one more, maybe two.

Reactions: Cilent1R8

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just sharing my experience with lightweight battery on 2010 V10spyder
I went with LiteBlox and it removed almost 25kg from the front (55lbs)
I immediately felt front a little lighter however the biggest benefit for Spyders is that there is no more cowl shake. I tossed car around and did not feel that handling and balance changed much.
The biggest benefit came later with aftermarket exhaust, that changed handling a lot. I actually was surprised that 13kg of the rear could make car much much more balanced and desirable to drive. Perhaps this was more noticeable due to some shifted load to rear after removing weight from front axel.
So, I tend to agree that someone considering lightweight battery should also invest into lightweight exhaust for best results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My battery is from 2016 and I keep it on a CTek charger but it's feeling it's age, plus I'm about to install some stereo equipment in the frunk which will add some weight so I want to offset that with a lighter battery.

I'm ordering the H7/94R 40Ah. I know some R8's require the H6 size (GT's). I think 40Ah's is more than enough and 60Ah is overkill, but better to have too much than not enough I guess!

For those on the fence I received a coupon code which will knock off 15% "rennlist15". ;)
What’s the code so I can buy one🙌

21 - 40 of 40 Posts