Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking here first before I take it in to an Audi dealership service..Recently I've just noticed a low pitched hum that sounds like its coming from the left side, possibly from the front wheel area, and it starts at around 80mph, and continues to about 90, then gets a little quieter. I hear nothing up until right around 79-80, then it starts in. Usually that means a tire or bearing issue that kicks in at a particular speed to trigger it, but I'm not sure, maybe I'm wrong. The tires have plenty of tread, and I haven't had any issues with suspension. Has anyone on here experienced this and if so what was it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Try swopping the front wheels around and if the noise moves you know it's the tyre.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a look at the tires, maybe old and lost softness over the years, no matter the tread... If its not tire or bearing, it could be the wheel alignment, especially if you landed into a road bump or hole...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try swopping the front wheels around and if the noise moves you know it's the tyre.
With all due respect, I believe the tires are directional, so swapping them from side to side would reverse the direction they roll. I'm not sure if you meant that they should do this as a quick temporary check and then put them back where they belong. Even then, I'm not sure that this is such a good idea. I'd make sure that this wouldn't damage the tires before I tried it.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
With all due respect, I believe the tires are directional, so swapping them from side to side would reverse the direction they roll. I'm not sure if you meant that they should do this as a quick temporary check and then put them back where they belong. Even then, I'm not sure that this is such a good idea. I'd make sure that this wouldn't damage the tires before I tried it.
The OP doesn't state what brand of tyres he has fitted so they could equally be non-directional. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
The OP doesn't state what brand of tyres he has fitted so they could equally be non-directional. :)
Ha Ha, yes true enough. I did make the assumption that he was using quality high performance tires, which in general means they'd be directional. But we still haven't solved his noise issue and I'm definitely no help on that...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the confusion, Yes, they are directional. I would have to have them swapped on the wheel. There's a very tiny slight vibration in the steering wheel that occurs also. I know that doesn't necessarily mean an alignment problem, but it's definitely a speed related issue. Only happens at 80mph and above..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, Yes, they are directional. I would have to have them swapped on the wheel. There's a very tiny slight vibration in the steering wheel that occurs also. I know that doesn't necessarily mean an alignment problem, but it's definitely a speed related issue. Only happens at 80mph and above..
Sounding like possibly a wheel balance issue. I had something like that happen once. Everything was fine until I hit a certain speed, then it would correct itself once I was going faster. Easy thing to have checked fortunately. Then you can cross it off the list.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
298 Posts
Ha Ha, yes true enough. I did make the assumption that he was using quality high performance tires, which in general means they'd be directional. But we still haven't solved his noise issue and I'm definitely no help on that...
Just to clarify...Michelin PS4S and PSC2 are very high performance tires used by many here I think including Trev450...they are not directional. They have have to be mounted on the rim correctly with correct side as labelled, but they can be swapped left to right.

Yes, a directional tire should not be swapped left to right for any real performance running on the road or track (heat in the tire). But even a directional tire can be swapped left to right for this basic check to see if the problem moves with the wheel/tire. Or yes, have someone check balance, especially due to the 80 mph plus vibration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounding like possibly a wheel balance issue. I had something like that happen once. Everything was fine until I hit a certain speed, then it would correct itself once I was going faster. Easy thing to have checked fortunately. Then you can cross it off the list.
Thanks guys for the feedback, I'll try swapping temporarily, and getting a balance check. I hope its that simple..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, I'm no expert, but I think your easiest course of action is to just go to your friendly tire and suspension guy and have him check that wheel. It's way more work for you to swap the wheels, test, wonder about whether you hear or feel anything, debate whether that's because they are directional tires and maybe they are running backwards and that's what you hear or feel or maybe not, swap them back etc. Just have them pull the wheel in question and check it for balance. It's like 15 minutes of your time and no effort. If it's out of whack, they can put it back into balance and put it back on the car and your problem is solved. If it's not balance, then maybe they will have an educated opinion which will help you get to the solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts