Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pickup the V10 model. I know several dealers got their first cars, I don't know if any are delivered yet. Please post some driving impressions. thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Austin, Texas and I know there has been at least one silver with carbon sideblade delivered and there was a black with carbon at the dealership with a sold sticker on it as of yesterday. Not sure if those are anyones on this site but those are two so far that I know have been delivered. Wish I could tell you some driving impressions but I unfortunately don't have one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
And mine since June 2009

Do a search on this forum and you will find threads from both T-Mike and myself on our first impressions.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
And mine since June 2009

Do a search on this forum and you will find threads from both T-Mike and myself on our first impressions.
And R8England, not to be tiresome, but does your car have the "new" nav. with hi-res. screen, traffic, etc.? And would you care to share your serial production number (last 3 digits of your vin)? It's really not something anyone can do anything with, but it you don't wish to divulge it, could you give us a "ballpark" (like "under 100", or "between 100 and 150")? It appears that all R8's are in the same series, as other digits of the vin code for the engine/emissions options.

I'm just interested in this "new nav" thing and trying to pinpoint as close as I can where it was inserted into production (assuming there was a definite start point for it as opposed to scattered adoption).

·
Registered
718 Posts
No, mine was the first of the UK customer cars, late May production week (2009 model year). It has the "old" nav. It does have traffic, but then so did my previous R8V8. Free traffic reports are standard with European systems, and have been for some years. The system works very well.

VIN is N0041XX. It is in the very low 100's.

I was originally told the new NAV would be for production after they re-open from the August shutdown. But it seems that, from other posts, this has been brought forward.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I have heard from A0A at ALL US delivered R8' for model year 2010 will have the new Nav. System.

This seems to be the case as illustrated in the eBay blue car photos shown on a different thread here.

I trust my info so I'm not even think about this anymore.

The only thing I ordered, and no one knows if they will be on my car, are the illuminated door sills. When my delivery comes.....soon, I hope, we will know!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
No, mine was the first of the UK customer cars, late May production week (2009 model year). It has the "old" nav. It does have traffic, but then so did my previous R8V8. Free traffic reports are standard with European systems, and have been for some years. The system works very well.

VIN is N0041XX. It is in the very low 100's.

I was originally told the new NAV would be for production after they re-open from the August shutdown. But it seems that, from other posts, this has been brought forward.
Thanks for sharing that. Clearly your car IS serial numbered as a late '09 with that ....041xx number. (100 odd cars/wk x 40 odd building wks./yr?).

My awaited 2010 is ...0551 with a build week of July 7. I was told the model year changeover began with June! Lots of confusion about this, I think!

BTW, I've done a bit of researching of R8 vins, and they're pretty straightforward and pretty "unstealable". They are, of course, traceable to your name and address through your licensing authority, IF it allows that (fortunately, mine does not, except for constituted authorities).

The most critical digit for veracity is digit 9 (before the "A" for 2010 and the "N" for Neckarsulm) because that is a "check-sum" digit and has to make some total value formula add up to the correct value. If it's off, they know you altered the VIN!)

digits 1,2 & 3 are for Europe, Germany, Audi ("WUA")
digits 4 & 5 are for emissions group and specific engine (so v8 and v10 differ)
tentatively "DU" for v8's, "AN" for v10's ?
digit 6 is for restraint system and seems to be always an "A" for R8's
digits 7 & 8 are for model group and specific body and "FG" seems to occur on all R8's
then you have the checksum digit, the digit for year ("A"=2010, starting over),the digit for build plant ("N"= Neckarsulm)
and the 6 digit serial production number: .........AN000551 in my car's case.

Some of this is surmise, because the typical online VIN decoders usually choke on an R8 VIN, or leave digits 4--10 unexplained. So if I've got some of this wrong, please give me feedback.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes.... mine is at the dealership... it has the older Nav system, blk/blk... loaded with cf... and due to some issues (not with the car)... I am not going to buy it.
It may still be available since I said no about an hour ago.... its at DFW Audi in Mid-Cities (between Dallas and Fort Worth) 817 354 2834, ask for Craig Bowen, he is a good man... you can tell him I sent you.
Since I've bought many Audi's from them I did drive the monster... and she's exceptional... moves like a bat outta hell... as the saying goes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. Clearly your car IS serial numbered as a late '09 with that ....041xx number. (100 odd cars/wk x 40 odd building wks./yr?).

My awaited 2010 is ...0551 with a build week of July 7. I was told the model year changeover began with June! Lots of confusion about this, I think!
I was informed by both Audi UK, and at the factory when I picked up the car, that the year change over was 1-2 weeks after mine. i.e. June 2009.

But, there is no rule that says the model year changeover has to coincide with the nav changeover.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
No R8 England, but I was told by 2 different Audi of America Representatives that US customer cars for the model year 2010 will have the new system.

This doesn't include all the cars in the US now since many are dealer cars or press cars.

But all the ones beginning to arrive in August and later should be customer cars and have the new nav. system in them.

Hopefully this info is definitive in the US.

Steve

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine is arriving early August, build week 28. Presumably the cars arriving in the US in early August will have been built earlier than this. Logic would suggest that mine would have the new navigation system if above is true?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I hope so Mike B.....let us know what you get!

Thanks.
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts