Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting browsing a 2021 RWD, but what's up with those base rims? While I know they can be swapped out, I thought the 17/18 20's looked awesome.

I had the same issue shopping for a Q7 for my wife, Audi is going to this "turbine wheel" look on all their models.

Either they are ahead of the times, and I'm not.

Makes the R8 base look low budget.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I’ve always thought wheels choice is a personal one but I agree with you, 2021 wheels look way less desirable...

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,697 Posts
Ok good! I’m not the only one!

I saw a RWD Spyder and couldn’t believe those are the base wheels now. I prefer the 19” wheels to those 20” and I don’t often prefer a 19” to a 20”

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
They did the same type design on my RS7 I just got. Only thing neat about it is it has the textured black sections that match the textured dry carbon interior.

I’m with you though, I don’t get all these rotary looking designs. They really try to go nuts on the E models with them too.

Give me a Motorsport type wheel any day of the week.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
79 Posts
I agree - 2021 base wheel looks too cheesy and doesn't fit a super car profile.

If they have kept the Y spokes alone, without connecting over the outer rim, it would have been better. Now it looks like fan.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
324 Posts
Liked the 2020 20” wheels and the 2017-18 20” wheels. Haven’t seen the 2021 wheels in person yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok good! I’m not the only one!

I saw a RWD Spyder and couldn’t believe those are the base wheels now. I prefer the 19” wheels to those 20” and I don’t often prefer a 19” to a 20”
Horrible, both the wheel’s and the facelift to be exact.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I love the new base wheels. The plus wheels look like a mess (like someone sneezed in the middle of designing it and just left it).....yes, subjective

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
324 Posts
Horrible, both the wheel’s and the facelift to be exact.
It’s seems that the farther from the original R8 Bauhaus influenced design, the less well received they are. The Gen 2 front and rear ends became more squared off. The 2020 went full fast and furious with the fake front vents (which is part of Audi corporate architectural statement across most of the Audi Vehicles. I prefer the 20” 2017-2018 wheels. The 2020 wheels were a bit meh and the 2021 wheels are a mess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In general, new designs take time to feel warm. Everytime there is a facelift or all-new gen, we always have the soft corner with the previous ones. A lot of us own a specific year model and we are attached and biased to it. The model years older than what we own always have a soft corner because those are the ones we desired to get but they were not affordable at that time of our life.

For instance, I love gen-1 and its timeless design. These were not affordable for me 10 years ago. I also love the 2018 gen-2, it's a very nice evolution of gen-1 but I would defend 2020 model because I own it. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like, right? And now looking at 2021 wheels, I feel they went downhill. It's just pure subjective and coming from my love with other ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think every generation R8 looks good in their own right. My favorite is the gen 2 face lifted version especially since I own one and so I’m biased.;) To each his own. In regards to wheels, the ones on new RWD look okay but would have to see them in person. I wasn’t too crazy about the wheels on the Performance until I saw them in person and I really like them!

As I get older, I definitely find myself less open to change but that’s normal, I guess. Eventually though, most of us warm up to change and even learn to embrace it. For example, I wasn’t fond of the Porsche 992 but now I can actually appreciate what the folks at Porsche did except for the gear shifter (PDK). No car is ever perfect but every generation encompasses overall improvements. If you like the vehicle enough to spend your hard earned money on the purchase, you can always mod it to your heart‘s content, which in itself can be fun and rewarding!

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,697 Posts
I think every generation R8 looks good in their own right. My favorite is the gen 2 face lifted version especially since I own one and so I’m biased.;) To each his own. In regards to wheels, the ones on new RWD look okay but would have to see them in person. I wasn’t too crazy about the wheels on the Performance until I saw them in person and I really like them!

As I get older, I definitely find myself less open to change but that’s normal, I guess. Eventually though, most of us warm up to change and even learn to embrace it. For example, I wasn’t fond of the Porsche 992 but now I can actually appreciate what the folks at Porsche did except for the gear shifter (PDK). No car is ever perfect but every generation encompasses overall improvements. If you like the vehicle enough to spend your hard earned money on the purchase, you can always mod it to your heart‘s content, which in itself can be fun and rewarding!
I too am NOW biased towards the gen2 facelift but I wasn't prior to owning one...because when I started shopping for a new R8, I was set on getting a 2018 V10 Plus Spyder and even made an offer on one. The deal kept on falling through as the seller wasn't easy to deal with. I went to see a 2020 and fell in love with it...the 2018 I was looking at was so bland and boring. Not aggressive or all that sports car like in my opinion. I know many have an issue with the fake vents and so do I, I wish Audi never did it but the car looks far more aggressive. A good car buddy of mine said, it looks like an R8 with a really nice, subtle body kit/skirt package on it. Everything from the bumpers to the sideskirts to the slightly darkened headlights is a win in my opinion.

After spending a few days looking at pictures of 2020+ R8s online I was completely over the idea of getting a 2018. It literally did nothing for me...and not that it matters to me what other people think but every person I showed both a 2018 and 2020 R8 to, whether they were a car person or not said the 2020 looks waayyyy better, no comparison. These are completely unbiased opinions as I hadn't bought either one yet. These 2 pics sold me on the 2020...

Reactions: bpans2

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree. Though not a fan of fake vents, the sharp cuts, and the subtle carbon skirt make this look more sleek and modern. I was in the same boat as you. My initial search was 2018 but fell in love with 2020 once I saw it in person.

The rear is also more aggressive and modern. I really like the bigger exhausts compared to subtle rectangular ones in 2018. Again everything is subjective!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts