Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering of there are any of you that regularly hit Chuckawalla Raceway in So. Cal.? Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

It would be fun to get a group and drive out there and see who can get the fastest lap time for the day? Maybe prizes? Categories like V8 , V10 , modified (turbos and or superchargers)??

Just wondering...

Reactions: erricvplus

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I used to have chuckawallas as pets.

Reactions: Nagengast

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’d be down to do it

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there a group for GT3 R8?:sneaky:

If there is a big enough group, I will reach out and see if I can organize something. We are members there but they have weird member days that are in the middle of the week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a group for GT3 R8?:sneaky:

If there is a big enough group, I will reach out and see if I can organize something. We are members there but they have weird member days that are in the middle of the week.
ha ha ha... ha hhaha...

Let's see if this gets any traction...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2011 R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
35 Posts
I like going to Chuckwalla a bunch. It is a really safe track with easy run offs. I've been going with the San Diego SCCA which is $170/day. Next event is at the end of April if any of you want to join me.

I'm no professional, but here was one of my better laps.

It would definitely be a lot of fun to have a bunch of R8s out there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like going to Chuckwalla a bunch. It is a really safe track with easy run offs. I've been going with the San Diego SCCA which is $170/day. Next event is at the end of April if any of you want to join me.

I'm no professional, but here was one of my better laps.

It would definitely be a lot of fun to have a bunch of R8s out there.
what was your lap time? Was that sketchy hearing your tires screeching on the corners? Very cool!

also, do you buy track insurance for your car?

·
Registered
2011 R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
35 Posts
2:07 for the counter clockwise configuration, I have run the clockwise configuration before and it is a little quicker and more challenging.

It was just the front tires pushing mid corner, Just pulled out the front differential so that problem might be solved next time ;).

No track insurance. They all have 10-15% deductibles, so minor stuff you are still on the hook for. I have personally slid off at chuckwalla in my old boxster and had no damage, same for a few of my friends. Only real way to cause enough damage for the insurance to kick in would be hitting another car, or the pit wall. If I was going to a track with worse run offs/higher speed (big willow comes to mind) I would reconsider getting insurance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2:07 for the counter clockwise configuration, I have run the clockwise configuration before and it is a little quicker and more challenging.

It was just the front tires pushing mid corner, Just pulled out the front differential so that problem might be solved next time ;).

No track insurance. They all have 10-15% deductibles, so minor stuff you are still on the hook for. I have personally slid off at chuckwalla in my old boxster and had no damage, same for a few of my friends. Only real way to cause enough damage for the insurance to kick in would be hitting another car, or the pit wall. If I was going to a track with worse run offs/higher speed (big willow comes to mind) I would reconsider getting insurance.
Excellent, thank you for that info.
How many people are on the track at any one time? I ask because I would start out baby slow.. just like i did with motocross at Pala (now Fox) raceway where they have three tracks, Vet track, Amature Track and Pro track... fast amatures ride the Vet track (slowest track) and get mad because you ruin their line.. shouldn't even be on that track to begin with.

·
Registered
2011 R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
35 Posts
It can depend, for the SCCA they limit it to 20 per group, but most are ~15. There are 4 groups for experience levels. It is a roughly a 2.5mile course which even for a quick car like an R8 sharing the track with miatas allowed for a good amount of space. Passing was point by only on the straights and people are good about checking their mirrors and moving over. I'd say half of my laps were clean without needing to slow down for even a corner as I waited for a straight. I was in the novice group (slowest) which had a guy cruising in an old muscle car and everyone was still having fun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can depend, for the SCCA they limit it to 20 per group, but most are ~15. There are 4 groups for experience levels. It is a roughly a 2.5mile course which even for a quick car like an R8 sharing the track with miatas allowed for a good amount of space. Passing was point by only on the straights and people are good about checking their mirrors and moving over. I'd say half of my laps were clean without needing to slow down for even a corner as I waited for a straight. I was in the novice group (slowest) which had a guy cruising in an old muscle car and everyone was still having fun.
That sound perfect and fun!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Love the track. Just so far out there. Where do you guys stay?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That track is far away but the nice thing about Chuckwalla, they have cabins you can rent. And they are pretty nice. Not sure the price on them though. 1 Bed 1 bath with kitchen and pull out bed.

·
Registered
2011 R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
35 Posts
The cabins are pretty nice. I try to split it with a friend. They are $180/night or $125/night if you book early and bring bedding.

The bigger issue with the isolation is the closest gas station is half an hour away, so you are stuck buying gas at $5/gal at the track. I was burning half a gallon a lap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts