1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
looks cheap and nasty to me - surprised audi have chosen that to represent the r8. maybe they look better in the flesh.

I'm sure they'll still sell a few though - it has carbon fiber, an r8 logo and a 4 figure price tag...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Looks great unless you drive deeper than 328 ft.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea......I guess I'll have to take it off and anchor it at 328 ft. when I do a deep dive! :)

But I wondered if anyone has seen it in the flesh....because as the R8 labeled chronograph, it should be more substantial and impressive when it is on your wrist than it appears in the picture.

The price is not as bad as some like the Rolex or Breitling, but who knows if it works any better than those. Everybody I know with them has had them fail repeatedly, and the repairs are costly.

Well if anyone has seen one, let me know. I'm curious to know how Audi could have chosen to have it made to represent it's halo car if it isn't up to snuff!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It reads that it has a Valjoux movement, presumably a variant of the 7750 which is widely used in watches by many brands:

http://blog.breitlingsource.com/2007/09/15/the-ubiquitous-valjoux-7750-movement/

so in terms of reliability, it should be much of a muchness compared to other chronos in that price ballpark.
Excellent find Bloke! I bet the reliability is not as good as I would hope. Hum....I'll see if they can get a "returnable sample" to try. If not, I guess I'll bag the idea of an R8 watch!!!! :)

Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I initially figured someone would show some pics that Tag Heuer has used for their marketing which showed an R8.

I have seen two different large banner adds hanging at a local mall that showed a Tag watch with an R8 behind it. In one of their online catalogs, a movie on the left side of the page with the Gran Carrera Calibre 36 RS Caliper has a black R8.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I only have chronograph watches but this one is heck of a ugly chronograph watch.

Not nice at all and 2K+ for this? Looks cheap and what's up with the wrist band? Looks like some kind of soft leather and will disintegrate with time.

Chronograph design is also very basic. Color contrast and dials are ugly.

Even my 400$ Tissot Quadrato Chronograph looks 100x better than this.

One my recently purchased watch:

This is what the R8 watch should have looked like.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
This is what the R8 watch should have looked like.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree and love that IWC.........

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that the watch is tacky looking. Audi should have bitten the bullet and gotten Rolex or Breitling to do an Audi Chronograph. I would like to see a Roles stainless Daytona with R8 logo on the dial.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the opinion seems to be that the "R8" watch is NOT a good enough product to represent the car.

It is expensive....but does have some good Swiss movement features....but it doesn't appear to be a satisfactory showpiece for the car.

To bad....maybe Audi will produce something more fitting to the car's greatness!

Thanks for the input.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts