Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been feeling like the r8 super/sports car status has been getting diluted by audi. Are any of you fellow r8 owners feeling a bit disgruntled as well?

First was the rs6 - an estate with performance figures like the r8's. Now they've produced a hairdressers car (ttrs) for half the price of the r8!! R8 owners are being made to look foolish by buying a more expensive sports car - who's major difference with the ttrs is only looks, so we end up looking shallow as well!! Not to mention the r8 should have had the v10 in the first place.

I'm skipping the v10. I think it'll arrive and a month later audi will announce an rs3 jet with a w16 engine for half the price, better performance and also flies.:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the v8 r8 isn't a supercar, the 0-62 time was never good enough for that label even at launch and as time has passed so to has the 0-62 expectation for more mainstream sportscars like the ttrs, cayman, z4 etc. It's now a couple of years since the v8 r8 launch and as the ttrs comes into focus, so too has the v10 which can justifiably be called a supercar.

that's just 0-62 though, the r8 has always been about a lot more than just traffic light drag racing or top trumps bragging rights and the ttrs won't hold a candle to even the v8 in the other departments.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It sounds like maybe you're mistaking the R8 for a status symbol, and not a machine built for a purpose? (I hope that makes sense). :)

Lots of RS4 drivers harp on about "it's the same engine, and my RS4 is just as quick", which essentially is accurate, but the whole driving experience is completely different. I've had an RS4, and yes, it's pretty much as quick, but the R8 is sooooo much better to drive at speed. Mainly due to it's balance, which the TTRS simply will not have.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
this is the autocar review:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-TT-2.5-RS/240356/

For instance the TT RS never feels anything but a classic Audi 4wd, rather than the infinitely more entertaining rear-biased drive Audi delivered with the R8.
But with the RS badge comes expectation, at least from these quarters, and especially in light of the brilliance of the last RS4 and R8. Against such successes the TT RS is a touch disappointing. No question it is extremely fast, either in a straight line or cross-country, but engine aside, it isn’t sufficiently compelling, thrilling or rewarding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's new! Audis have always been underpowered compared to BMW and Mercedes. Audi set us up for this marketing game. Put the V8 out first and then make them want the 550 H.P. V10. My salesman was e-mailing about V10 a month after he sold me the V8. All said I still love my R8!

With the hefty price tag of the R8 supercharger, wouldn't you just move into the V10?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree. The R8 was underpowered out of the box. Apart from that, the R8 is an OUTSTANDING machine! Thats why we should do a group buy for the Supercharger from VF Engineering!!!

Then no one can touch us!!! :D
I agree the VF Engineering SC is crazy. 430 lb-ft (583Nm) and 500+ HP right?

·
Registered
761 Posts
What's new! Audis have always been underpowered compared to BMW and Mercedes. Audi set us up for this marketing game. Put the V8 out first and then make them want the 550 H.P. V10. My salesman was e-mailing about V10 a month after he sold me the V8. All said I still love my R8!

With the hefty price tag of the R8 supercharger, wouldn't you just move into the V10?
You're right it's all about clever marketing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree the VF Engineering SC is crazy. 430 lb-ft (583Nm) and 500+ HP right?
I dont know if the figures were released? Those might be estimated. Its my understanding that VF is still working on the supercharger. Im on their mailing list at least and they haven't released any info recently.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The car is just a product and car manufacturing is a business like any other .

The producer must keep generating turnover and one way to do that is by ensuring that the buyers are keen to replace the product with the latest version or model - this applies to cars , TV's , electric toothbrushes or just about anything else.

A couple of years from now and the V10 will no longer be the "state of the art must have" R8 and we will have a V10 supercharged or V12 or something altogether different.

Personally , I'm not bothered that Audi produce variants of models that overlap and leap-frog each other , especially where the "improvements" are basically just performance related. I couldn't possibly make any practical use of the better 0-60 times on the public roads and if I wanted a track day car I'd probably go for a Caterham Super 7 R500 which would murder a Veryon and for only a third of the price of an R8 :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have an RS4--drove it today--opened it up on the highway. It's **** fast---loud and fun to drive. However, not even close to the R8---later took the R8 out (After the sun popped out)---It does accelerate faster--it wasn't by much but still faster. (It weighs 623 pounds less) It's lower to the ground, has a much tighter chassis, is more aerodynamic---in short, after doing 130mph in both cars today, I could tell a HUGE difference. At higher speeds the R8 widens the gap. Horsepower is relatively cheap to manufacture--how it's applied is something all together different. I am sure the TTRs will feel quick but it will not be the engineering marvel that the R8 has proven over and over to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts