Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10 Plus | Suzuka Gray on Red | ESS Supercharger | Fabspeed Exhaust | XPel Stealth PPF
71 Posts
Put deposit down on this. Going to keep R8 for now. Anyone else put down deposit? View attachment 266205
I’m number 16 at Gator Motorsports. I’ve had an Elise SC and an Evora GT. Huge Lotus fan but it won’t replace the R8… it will have to learn to play nice and share time.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10 Plus | Suzuka Gray on Red | ESS Supercharger | Fabspeed Exhaust | XPel Stealth PPF
71 Posts
I like the blue Is that your spec?
I haven’t officially locked it in yet but leaning towards that config. I’ve narrowed it down to these five options.
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have looked at them and think they look stunning, I just don't think i would replace the R8 for one .... running both would be ideal but unrealistic for me. I fear after the R8 any other combustion engine will feel slightly flat.
Mine would be green :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have looked at them and think they look stunning, I just don't think i would replace the R8 for one .... running both would be ideal but unrealistic for me. I fear after the R8 any other combustion engine will feel slightly flat.
Mine would be green :)
Having owned the Evora GT right before the R8, I’d have to agree. As a playful sports car, the Evora is better. As a supercar, it’s not even close. A supercar needs a certain level of drama that the Lotus products lack. Explosive acceleration is one of those elements that lead to drama and the Evora lacks that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:unsure: They all look so good! Can’t go wrong but I think the blue with black rims does it for me.
My whole family says the same thing but I tend to have a thing for silver wheels. Black wheels get lost in the abyss of the wheel wells, to me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having owned the Evora GT right before the R8, I’d have to agree. As a playful sports car, the Evora is better. As a supercar, it’s not even close. A supercar needs a certain level of drama that the Lotus products lack. Explosive acceleration is one of those elements that lead to drama and the Evora lacks that.
Performance and Dimensions are almost identical to Gen1 v10 numbers. I have never owned a lotus. It is funny the lotus people say the R8 is boring and lacks connection. You have owned a Evora how do you think they compare?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Performance and Dimensions are almost identical to Gen1 v10 numbers. I have never owned a lotus. It is funny the lotus people say the R8 is boring and lacks connection. You have owned a Evora how do you think they compare?
I could write a novel on this topic. The Evora certainly is more connected, involved and has a wonderful car/driver bond that it forms. Part of it is the third pedal. Part of it is the amazingly precise and sharp steering. Part of it is the light weight. But what makes the R8 stand out is the true exotic power plant. A Camry V6, even supercharged, isn’t going to feel exotic ever. At the end of the day? I drove the Lotus at full tilt most of the time I drove it. I can’t even come close to doing that in the R8. Before the R8, if that had happened, I would have gone right back to the Lotus. However, the sense of theatre and drama the R8 displays makes up for that element.

·
Registered
721 Posts
whoa i didnt know orders were open for these. gonna have to make some calls monday!
to answer your question, definetly yes!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My whole family says the same thing but I tend to have a thing for silver wheels. Black wheels get lost in the abyss of the wheel wells, to me.
We've seen some really nice blue cars with silver wheels on this forum. I would be in the same camp as you - blue with silver wheels. The bottom left (sand? colour with black wheels) looks good too though.

When we were on holidays on the west coast this summer, we pulled out at a roadside stop viewpoint and a lotus pulled in around the same time. Listening to that thing leave certainly impressed me. Sounded very nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We've seen some really nice blue cars with silver wheels on this forum. I would be in the same camp as you - blue with silver wheels. The bottom left (sand? colour with black wheels) looks good too though.

When we were on holidays on the west coast this summer, we pulled out at a roadside stop viewpoint and a lotus pulled in around the same time. Listening to that thing leave certainly impressed me. Sounded very nice.
Agreed about the sand and brown interior combo! Very classy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Having owned an lotus exige sport 350 they can’t be compared to an R8.

I loved that car. Great to throw around, cheap to repair and maintain. Wonderful track car.

I can’t speak for the new one but an upgraded supercharger and fuel tank on my 350 and that thing was a hoot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone else surprised at the 1405kg weight? Especially vs the max 360HP engine option. I was really hoping Lotus would have pushed the envelope and got it closer to 1200kg. Would be a great platform then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone else surprised at the 1405kg weight? Especially vs the max 360HP engine option. I was really hoping Lotus would have pushed the envelope and got it closer to 1200kg. Would be a great platform then.
Definitely surprised considering the Lotus mantra focusing on light weight but it makes sense. Comparing V6 manual Emira to V6 Manual Evora GT, Emira will be slightly heavier than the existing Evora GT while adding niceties such as adaptive cruise, a real infotainment system, additional safety features. I was hoping the reduction of the rear seat would have shaved an equivalent amount of weight and had it come in at the same weight as the Evora GT. One thing about the Evora that I’m sure will apply to this… Lotus hides weight extremely well. When a car has precise, responsive and sharp steering, the weight is not as noticeable. A light car with poor steering (AP1 S2000 for example) ends up feeling much heavier than the Evora GT.

As for the max engine, it’s the 416hp V6 from the current Evora GT. Lotus is calling it “400hp” in marketing material but I have it confirmed from an engineer at Lotus that it’s the same 416hp rating as the current Evora GT. The 360hp is for the AMG 4 cylinder turbo with the dual clutch auto (only trans offered on that). One thing to note about the AMG motor, a simple tune and down pipe upgrade yields 100hp or more increase. That should help counter some of the portly weigh.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Lotus have always aired on the conservative side when it comes to engine power. The Esprit Turbo SE was rated at 265 bhp but I never saw one produce less than around 285 bhp on the rollers.

·
Registered
2008 997 Turbo
39 Posts
Wow I love the looks of this car. I'll be calling on Monday for details on ordering. I would think its like ordering a 2008 R8 in 2008?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts