Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I'm thinking of replacing my Gen1 R8 with this 2018 R8

The car is located in Miami and I am wondering if anyone on here has seen it or knows of it.
Current owner is the Finance Manager at Audi North Miami and said it has an aftermarket exhaust on it. He just replaced the front brakes and is replacing the dash cover as it bubbled in the sun.

I'm not too sure about the mileage to dollar ratio, but in this market, everything seems a little crazy. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pretty sure I have seen that car. I wonder if its one that had aftermarket wheels for a while.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Personally, unless I "ABSOLUTELY" had to had to buy a car right now, I would avoid this crazy car market right now and wait!!!!!

Secondly, I'm not buying this: "it's a personal car but, we're going to run the sale through the dealership". Obviously this car was not garage kept or well taken care of if the dash needs needs to be replaced; so I'd take a real hard look at all interior leather and plastic parts and under hood belts, hoses, etc.!

Ad says 3 owners, but no Carfax....get a Carfax! How long did this finance manger "Personally" own this car?

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Personally, unless I "ABSOLUTELY" had to had to buy a car right now, I would avoid this crazy car market right now and wait!!!!!

Secondly, I'm not buying this: "it's a personal car but, we're going to run the sale through the dealership". Obviously this car was not garage kept or well taken care of if the dash needs needs to be replaced; so I'd take a real hard look at all interior leather and plastic parts and under hood belts, hoses, etc.!

Ad says 3 owners, but no Carfax....get a Carfax! How long did this finance manger "Personally" own this car?

Good luck,
Jim
Hey Jim - Appreciate the feedback. I definitely agree with you on the market timing, but I feel confident that the exotic market will continue at this rate for at least another year. As electric vehicles continue to permeate the industry and exotic brands known for ICE adopt electric, I think the R8 will maintain fair value. I'm not expecting to make money on the transaction and definitely know I'm going to lose money in the long run, but the happiness it brings me is worth it. :)

As for the car: I received the CarFax and it checks out. @ervikingo directed me to the owners instagram page. It showed plenty of pics of the car dating back to the time reflected on the carfax. I also did some back channel with a dealer I purchased my previous R8 from, who confirmed the legitimacy of the seller as the Finance Manager at the dealership and said he knows that's his personal car.
The owner face timed me at the dealership and even had his service guys put it on the rack. There are some cosmetic blemishes that he was very upfront about on the underside of the bumper from rubbing on concrete.
He did a full start up, rev and displayed the dash with no errors. Interior looks clean.

I put the deposit down and looking forward to delivery! Advertised price: $138,200 - Agreed on price: $135,000. (Figure I would add that so the community can see what the market looks like)

Forgot to add that it also has 4 brand new tires and front brakes done 500 miles ago. Seems like a good deal all said and done.

Reactions: ervikingo

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to circle back and provide an update:

Was closing the loan today with North Miami Audi and the Carfax showed damage. I decided not to move forward with the purchase.
The Carfax provided at the start of our conversations showed no damage. This was run on 7/14.
The Carfax run today, 7/20, showed damage to the front and passenger side door.

Super bummed, but happy to have found out when I did.
Back on the search for my next R8!

·
Registered
On the hunt.
48 Posts
Glad you dodged that. What was the date on the damage? I appreciate Carfax can update months later but for it to show up 6 days after the last report ran is very interesting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you dodged that. What was the date on the damage? I appreciate Carfax can update months later but for it to show up 6 days after the last report ran is very interesting.
The damage was reported on 5/11 on the updated report. I saw a report on 7/14 that had a 5/1 and 5/31 entry. The entry for 5/31 said "Door trim replaced/repaired" and "window actuator replaced" - I'm guessing this was part of the damage? But the accident never made it onto the report until now?

The guy also said that he doesnt remember an accident and is not sure how that showed up on the report. Its been his personal car (leased) since 2019. He says he is also over on miles and not sure what he is going to do now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The damage was reported on 5/11 on the updated report. I saw a report on 7/14 that had a 5/1 and 5/31 entry. The entry for 5/31 said "Door trim replaced/repaired" and "window actuator replaced" - I'm guessing this was part of the damage? But the accident never made it onto the report until now?

The guy also said that he doesnt remember an accident and is not sure how that showed up on the report. Its been his personal car (leased) since 2019. He says he is also over on miles and not sure what he is going to do now.
[/QUOTE,
GR8NJR, good on you!

As I said in an earlier post, this deal just didn't sound right and I think that you made the right decision! As far as what this guy is going to do.... he's a car dealer, he'll find some poor unsuspecting sould to dump this problem car on!

Wait until this crazy market shakes out, there will be plenty of deals to be had.

Thanks for the update and good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
307 Posts

sounds sketchy as fudge... glad you thought to run a final last minute report and dodged that one

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Like others said bad time to buy unless buying new. I just bought a new car because good financing rates (practically free money) and really no good deals used.

Reactions: GR8NJR8

·
Premium Member
4,869 Posts

The car has only been with him since 2019 under lease and "he doesn't remember an accident"?? Haha... oh boy. Unless he's 82 years old and suffering from senility, it either happened or it didn't - this is not a matter of remembering or not. You don't remember what you ate for dinner 3 weeks ago on Wednesday. You DO remember if your supercar was damaged in an accident.

The guy just sounds sketchy and irresponsible. Sorry if that sounds judgmental, but the red flags are there. You're a finance manager... but you're over mileage on a lease and claim you don't know what you'll do as a result? Seriously? You'll pay the fee - why even bring it up to a prospective buyer? You can't AFFORD over-mileage fees? Then what are you doing driving around in a new R8?

The dash damage? Another red flag. I know leather dashes don't like heat, but as Jim stated, I think it's a sign the car wasn't garaged and was left to bake day in and out. I'd expect to see this problem on a 15+ year old Ferrari, but not a 3 year old Audi.

Glad you discovered the problems here before moving forward! You should easily be able to find a near flawless Gen-2 if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just to circle back and provide an update:

Was closing the loan today with North Miami Audi and the Carfax showed damage. I decided not to move forward with the purchase.
The Carfax provided at the start of our conversations showed no damage. This was run on 7/14.
The Carfax run today, 7/20, showed damage to the front and passenger side door.

Super bummed, but happy to have found out when I did.
Back on the search for my next R8!
Well, this is shameful. I am glad you found out on time. Guess the used car salesman generalizations apply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts