Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to the forum. UK based. Just purchased a facelift 2013 V10. In addition to 2 keyfobs I also have two small black remotes, labelled R8 and would appear to be Audi. They have a single pushbutton and a small red LED flashes behind the button. They do not operate central locking. Can anyone tell me what they are for?? I dont think I have a tracker, nor any sports exhaust.
Thanks in advance
Hopefully the two photos will be attached!
RenderedContent-39AE71F5-55AE-42E8-B7E0-E4703085E0DB.JPG RenderedContent-44E9D3C9-588A-46E3-8CEE-B69C9004B130.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. Forgive my ignorance but how do i use them?? Do they "enable" and "disable" an installed tracker? If so, how would I know when enabled/disabled? Should i expect to see/hear any response from something in the car when the button on remote is operated?
Sorry for my ignorance. Never used a tracker before.

Love the car!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I didn’t know Audi did trackers with R8’s! Learn something new every day.

I thought they were fobs for opening garage doors!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess the car has CobraTrak5. The fobs match those on the CobraTrak5 webpages. Presumably you keep the fobs in your pocket and the car senses their presence each time you drive? And if its driven without sensing the fob present, it triggers an alert? I guess i have to subscribe to make it operational, since i have been driving around for two weeks now with the fobs left back at home! ..and I havent yet been immobilised!!
But at more than £200/yr subscription it seems a bit expensive.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So I guess the car has CobraTrak5. The fobs match those on the CobraTrak5 webpages. Presumably you keep the fobs in your pocket and the car senses their presence each time you drive? And if its driven without sensing the fob present, it triggers an alert? I guess i have to subscribe to make it operational, since i have been driving around for two weeks now with the fobs left back at home! ..and I havent yet been immobilised!!
That’s how Trackers generally work but check with the manual.

Also might be worth asking the previous owner if they know the current situation.

Some insurance companies demand trackers, others like Admiral don’t. Personally I’ve never bothered but all depends on your personal situation.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive got a cobratrak 5 on mine but no fobs? I guess they must have been lost at some point. I haven't bothered re-activating it because as i understand it, in the event it were to be stolen you can just pay the years subscription and activate it their and then. Saves paying unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I didn’t know Audi did trackers with R8’s! Learn something new every day.

I thought they were fobs for opening garage doors!
One of the options for the R8 is Homelink which is programmable to open remote garage doors. Have it on mine.

·
Registered
841 Posts
One of the options for the R8 is Homelink which is programmable to open remote garage doors. Have it on mine.
Yeah, don’t have it on mine but further reading suggests fobs aren’t part of the system? That correct Trev?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Aren't the homelink controls on the overhead consul for the interior lighting?
You are correct in saying that the Homelink controls are in the overhead consol, Dave, but they are in addition to the interior lighting switches.

Taken from the brochure: Garage door opener (Homelink®*). Programmable radio-operated remote control for compatible doors/gates.
Control buttons integrated in the front roof module

1 - 14 of 14 Posts