Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends -- it's go time and I'm placing my order this week. Last week I saw a Leather Package, black interior, R8 and was surprised to see the perforated, fine cheesecloth-like material on the dash, instrument cowl and upper doors. I wasn't entirely crazy about it.

Tonight I saw an Extended Leather, black interior, R8 and thought the dash and doors looked perfect. Even if it had been BMW/Porsche-type leatherette instead of leather, I still think it looked better than the cloth-like pattern of the Leather Package.

Until now, I had given no thought to ordering the Extended over Leather Package, but the difference between the two was very stark, neither car having carbon fiber.

My question is, do any of you regret not getting the Extended Leather? My hesitation is over the pattern/material, because otherwise I wouldn't care weather the dash was real leather or not.

Thanks for your collective imput.

Whirl

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
My $0.02: I don't have the extended leather ...just leather+alcantara seats. I don't notice the absence of the leather dash (I usually watch the road ahead and don't admire my interior while I am driving!). I might add that no-one who has looked at my car has ever commented negatively about what you described as "fine cheesecloth-like material" ...I would not have been quite as pejorative about it ...I think it looks fine (after all, this is a sports car not a luxury living room on wheels).

·
Registered
111 Posts
We debated the same issue for quit a while and looked at a lot of cars. When you only see the regular leather interior, it looks fine. Unfortunately, once you see the extended leather, you really notice the difference. The price difference does make you think twice, but in the end, knowing myself, I felt like I'd always be disappointed with the standard treatment vs. the extended. In reality, the car has a wonderful interior in both treatments. We made the correct choice for us, but it doesn't make it right for everyone.
Like everything in life and with these cars, it's individual taste. You know yourself best, so consider what you want to be wrapped in every time you get into your new R8.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Untill you see another R8 with all the goodies all is fine. The grass is always greener... I wish I had the Alcantara headliner though ,just to improve the bass frequencies of the Bang & Olds system.Carbon fiber inside cab grows on you real QUICK too.It's just the silver plastic that turns me off. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
after all, this is a sports car not a luxury living room on wheels).
I love this note. Very funny, and very true. But in my case. I am a sucker for details, love the look/feel of full leather interior, stitching etc. I never understood why cars that is over $100++(Porsche/Audi) makes you pay extra for little more leather... I have CF trim interiors, and I am glad I added that. The seat mount(?) looks really cheap to me. I guess I wanted this to be my private luxury living room on wheels. : D. Does anyone ever look back and think that they wish they did not put in X, Y or Z options?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My hesitation is over the pattern/material, because otherwise I wouldn't care weather the dash was real leather or not.
Whirl
For me, after spending this kind of $, it need to be as close to perfect as possible inside and out.. I just can’t imagine driving this car and thinking to myself, I really don’t like how the dash look. If I have a lot of money, and this is my third or fourth cool ride, I might not care as much.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I went with the full leather package and I'm quite happy with I'm one of those guys who wants to sit in a car which you know is perfect from outside and just want the same quality inside. I like the real leather smell and feel and also people who ride with me always say that they didn't expect this much luxury inside since it's a sports car but I feel good when my baby amazes them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the light grey leather/alcantara interior and I think it looks great. I am considering having an upholstery shop cover the ceiling with alcantara, which certainly will cost less than ordering it as an option, so no regrets there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the extended leather and absolutely love it. Ask yoursel if it wasn't an option, but was included as standard and its price was built in to the base MSRP... would you buy it? Its spectacular

·
Registered
180 Posts
Go for the Extended Leather! You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
GOOD IDEA Rob A !! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My R8 is black on black with all options except cf interior. The car I ordered did not have cf engine trim, extended leather or alcantara headliner. I had the chance to buy this car before my ordered car came in. I'm glad it has the extra options even though it was about $9,000 more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Enhanced Leather option is definitely worth the price. I have the Black w/ Tuscan Brown seats, very nice. Definitely get the Alacantra headliner from the factory. The detail and coverage is well worth it. The sound control makes the cabin experience excellent. It really helps with road/engine noise and makes your audio system sound much, much better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Darkmatter. Any pics of your interior? Love to see it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, MDC, I meant Darkmatter's, with the Tuscan. Just curious if he went seats only, or all the way. I'm on the fence about Crimson Red standing alone. Love it in pics. Fear it based on Tuscan-related comments from the forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got an absolute stripper just '09 Premium (Storage & Parking Pkgs). I'm in love with it. I'll drive it many years and never think about the V10s and the Spiders. But if you got a hard on for leather dashes or alcantara headliners thats cool too. I got no carbon and don't want any. But whether you had a little or a lot, carbon is sick and worth every penny if you gotta have it. Get exactly what you desire if you're speccing the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the Extended leather with alcantara roof liner and it looks awesome...My only "quibble" is the center console is also leather and you have to be careful you don't scratch it with keeps etc....

If you can afford it I would definitely order it....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your input everyone. Very helpful. I think the consensus is: If you have extended leather, you love it. If you don't you don't, you're content with not having it. No one stated they didn't have it, but wish that they did.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts