Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
I think it would be like the people who went to 275's from the stock 255's on RS4's. Some got it done but had difficulty finding places that could do it, Also read some got wheels damaged in the process

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Are you using the 11" rear wheels as supplied, or equivalent?

11" is 279 mm, and your 325's are (obviously!) 46 mm wider (1.8")

tires usually come with a spec for the range of wheel widths on which
their mounting is approved, you'd want to be sure to be within that

or maybe you're using wider rear wheels?

a really cool tool that I love to use to look at wheel/tire combo comparisons is at:
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I would ask your local Audi Service rep and see what they say or can find out. I remember seeing an old post from Discount Tire about tire sizes. According to their post, that size should fit on the car, but I am not sure if that was with an 11.5" rim. I am not sure how it affects the quattro system, might depend on front tires size too. I have someone at a local dealership inquiring about minor tire size changes. I will pass the info on as I get it.

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1984
"Front: 19x8.5 42et w/ 235/35-19 91Y. 8.5 Width can use 32-51 offsets. 9.0 Width could use 38-45 offsets. 255 would be max rec'd front width.

Rear 19x11.0 50et w/ 295/30-19 100Y. 10.5 Width can use 34-65 offsets. 11.0 --> 40-64 offset, and 11.5 --> 46-57 offset. 325 would be max tire width."

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Since you tried the Michelin Cups, there is always the Pirelli PZero Corsa System too. They are a DOT approved tire that is mainly intended for track use, for dry surfaces, like the Cup tires. Pretty sure they have a treadwear of 60 compared to the Cups at 80 and normal PZeros at 220. If they are for track, they can be shaved so lifespawn should be even shorter. I know the Pirelli site did not show sizes that fit the R8, but it appears that info is old. I have seen more appropriate sizes on trirerack.com so I am sure other dealers can get the needed sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Using 19' wheels definitely limits the choices of track tires for the R8. I love Nitto nt01's but they come only in 18" or smaller. I use the 19" Toyo R888's, and they are great. The 305 in the rear are super, but they make only a 235 front. I wish for a 245 front. Its a shame that the R8's extra large brake caliper size makes fitting 18" wheels almost impossible.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
"Its a shame that the R8's extra large brake caliper size makes fitting 18" wheels almost impossible."

Weren't 18" wheels the standard issue on the early, original R8's in the UK?
seems I recall hearing that from some of our British correspondents...
I know 19"'s have been standard on the US model since introduction
but I thought someone on this forum mentioned having 18" wheels?
I have a press release of the original, detailed announcement of the production R8 (from 2007) that lists "wheels 18" or 19" ". I know "brakes"
are always cited as the problem, but I think its protrusion of the calipers ("sideways" or along the axis of rotation) more than the diameter of the discs.
If there ever was an 18" wheel, they're probably rare.

BTW: to the knowledge of anyone out there, IS THERE an all-season or snow
rated tire made to fit the R8's rear? I know Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are available to fit the front, but not the rear. I thought someone said they'd fitted Pirelli PZero Nero's, but the Pirelli stockists don't seem to list it in R8 sizes. Amusing to read Audi's sanctimonious warnings about "choosing" summer only tires and then operating them in snow/freezing temps when no manufacturer actually makes anything else that will fit the car! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would be hesitant to change the tire size.

I remember a very long time ago buying a Triumph GT6 that handled like a pig. I quickly figured out that the PO had mounted some wider tires on the standard rims. Once I had the correct size tires installed the car behaved just as it should.

325's may work, but bigger isn't necessarily better.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
On our cars (R8) bigger is better on the front just not possible with out panel work. The 325 MIGHT be too large for the 11" rim. I tried wheel spacers on rear only of a 911 one tme. Handling changed for the WORST. added same size spacers to the front and lived happily ever after.I have added a 10 mm spacer on four corners of my jet and am loving it. MIGHT STILL be able to run the 305 on the rear.the R888 doesn't come in a slightly wider front,do they?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
willyjp, yes you are right. As I understand the OEM Audi 18" were available as stock in Europe for awhile; but not ever in the USA. So they cost mucho to get them, and I prefer after-market wheels. I should warn everyone NOT to TRUST that any after-market 18" Audi wheels will automatically work on the R8, even if a salesman says they will work. That salesperson may not understand the size of the R8 brake calipers. Make sure to test their fit before buying. And if you do find some sweet, after-market 18" wheels to fit, please post the info.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Even within one wheel size, there's been some suggestions that "stock" wheels do vary in spec (I know 3 finishes are available, but here I mean vary in SHAPE).

One post that comes to mind is:http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2059

Doesn't appear that we ever heard a resolution to this mystery, but the photos seem to document an asymmetry in his rear wheels.....if true, sourcing from different "parts bins" could be the only explanation, could it not?

PS: has anyone collected available sources of after-market wheels? Tire Rack lists 4 styles, but I don't have my finger on other
available sources....surely someone has collected that?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Bodhii,Desparado purchased the R8 18" wheels quite easily.Low cost as well.He has a thread with pics.He returned the 18"s back to Audi :)for some reason.There are tons of 18 " tire options out there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The likelyhood of wheel damage increases with a lower tire profile and in Europe roads often aren't as smooth as in North America.

I therefore ordered my R8 with 18" wheels and have no regrets whatsoever.

The car handles superbly, is certainly more comfortable than with 19" wheels and numerous tire choices are available.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
So when fitted with 18" wheels, what tire spec does audi supply on the R8?

I totally agree with what you say about ultra low profile tires: they are an accident waiting to happen on todays roads. BTW, unless you've done a close and recent study, I wouldn't be too quick to say that the roads are worse in Europe than the US.

Admittedly, lightly used rural roads and even motorways tend to be outstandingly maintained in the US, but many urban and suburban roads and street in most jurisdictions in the US are in atrocious condition in the US these days. Legendary chuck holes your could loose a wheel in!:eek:

PS: we should try to find a (Euro?)source for 18" R8 wheels, at least for those of us who want to do winter tires...it would make sourcing winter tires so much easier for the R8; maybe there'd be enough interest in that to do a group buy of some; of course shipping would be the rub, expensive unless we did ocean freight, which can get complex to arrange; ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm open to get some 18'' wheels as I'd like a separate set for track duty.

As for wider tires, previous experience has shown that you need to upgrade the fronts as well unless you plan on getting a lot more understeer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
From the horses's mouth (www.audi.de) -

Räder
Größe 8,5 J x 18 vorn, Größe 10,5 J x 18 hinten
Reifen
235/40 R 18 vorn, 285/35 R 18 hinten

or

Rims
Size 8,5 J x 18 front, Size 10,5 J x 18 rear
Tires
235/40 R 18 front, 285/35 R 18 rear

I agree with your statement re US roads. In Europe it's just the other way around : city roads are usually OK, but outside of cities roads tend to be pretty poor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts