Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting thoughts about getting rid of my R8 and getting into something more 'normal' like a Panamera GTS, RS7 etc. now that in a month or so we will see snow all over the place and I feel that my car will be stuck sitting in the garage for 6-7 months without getting any use. I rather pay for something that I am using than just sitting in the garage but then at the same time I know none of those other cars re in the same league as the R8 and come summer I will want something of similar caliber (570s, Huracan etc.), so it begs the question, do I just keep the R8 and sit on it over the winter months, or see if it can be driven on the nicer days? It's not my only vehicle so obviously won't be my daily.

This internal debate lead me to wonder if anyone other there winter drives their R8's?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use mine in all weather but it isn't as bad as Canada, plenty of below 0degC but not loads of snow.
Set of winter tyres and common sense and it is a perfectly capable, lots of areas of Europe (incl Germany) mandate winter tyres and given they are AWD and built in Germany means the R8 just works.
My R8 is my only vehicle, lives outside and gets used as a car ;)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
A good set of winter tyres will improve grip dramatically and the only other limiting factor then will be ground clearance in the snow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely need winter tires if I am driving it in winter but ground clearance is the biggest issue. We generally have snow all over the roads pretty much entire winter especially in inner streets after a big snowfall dump so I think that's going to cause issues for any meaningful driving in winter. I am going hear hearing the scrapes on snow as well as all the rock chips rolling around in the wheel well area as they do salt and rock-up the streets in winter after each big snow fall.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sure do but only in conditions where there's no salt/snow/ice. The winters here are generally mild and as long as we're hovering around 30 degrees, I drive with my regular old summer tires but carefully as their grip is compromised in lower temps. They get up to decent temps pretty quickly as long as you're not running the stupid pressures on the jamb (49 psi or whatever).

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
194 Posts
You won’t enjoy your R8 in the winter. It is not a good winter car for all kinds of obvious reasons. I put winter wheels on mine and I do drive it year round, but I only take it out on clear days.

My advice would be to get a winter beater to use most of the time, and winter wheels / tires for the r8 for when it’s cold but dry.

I will say though that on 19s and winter rubber the R8 has a better ride and also handles better… it’s more tossable and forgiving.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
It’s not stupid it’s just not what you have where you live. Here is a dry spring day in Canada. R8 gets all the super car sun while the F cars and lambos aren’t out from hibernation yet.

View attachment 279279
Neat. Let me know when sarcasm invades the north.

Reactions: davidm793

·
Registered
53 Posts
Going to put my '22 RWD in the garage and on storage insurance the first time salt hits the roads. Won't be back on the road until Spring when all that salt has been completely washed away. I have Winter hobbies that will take precedence.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have other vehicles that I plan to drive on a regular basis in winter, my only thing was that I generally get impatient seeing the 'nice' car just sitting there and not being driven so wanted to explore that option. Where I am, once the snow hits the roads it never really goes away (unliked the neighbouring city of Calgary where it disappears several times over the winter season due to a wind phenomenon known as the Chinook) and the roads are full of gravel. So in all likelihood even if I do end up with winter tires, I still wouldn't want to take it out. I know because I purchased a set for my 992 911 4S, which is still sitting in my garage even though I got rid of the car. It's not that I HAVE to drive it in winter as I don't since I have other vehicles, it's more so that I WANT to be able to drive whatever vehicles I have year around if possible. But with the R8 that is not a likely option so I guess let's see what I end up doing. Most probably just cover it and let it sit I guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Living in MN I used to hate not being able to drive mine in the winter, then I looked at it like this. I save miles on the car and it gives me something to look forward to in the warm seasons. I know for a fact I take in and enjoy being able to drive my nicer cars in the nicer weather because I dont get to all year around. Makes me feel like I get a new car every year after winter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts