Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mind posting picture of the beam spread on a wall?

also how do you like them compared to other cars with conventional HID systems?

thank you!:)

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
please also take a photo of the front! I've been considering them, but the steep price aside, I'm not sure I'd like the continuous LED vs the dots on the US spec

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The Acura TSX has the best stock headlites I have seen yet.The R 8 could benefit with this type of light.The TSX spreads a beam all around, almost to rear of car Absolutely awesome.R8s' lights ,Led or not...Weaksauce. :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
please also take a photo of the front! I've been considering them, but the steep price aside, I'm not sure I'd like the continuous LED vs the dots on the US spec
on the uk v10 I saw, there were multiple led's with a lens suspended a little way in front of it to create the desired beam pattern on the road - this pic shows it well:

http://germancarscene.com/2008/05/30/first-full-led-headlamp-for-the-audi-r8/

do you get something different in the US?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
LED headlights on R8V10

Low beam on the right, the two reflectors on the left are high beam

The low beam headlight is a number of LED's focused on a single point and projected by a single lens assembly

The high beam is of a different construction and is made up of LED's with beams projected by two metal coated reflectors

They work very well, but don't seem to be any better or worse than Xenon HID (I will try to get a night shot done and posted). But, they come on instantly (compared to a short delay for HID), they run much cooler and they use much less power.

Are they worth paying for as an option ? No ! It's just Audi showcasing a world first on its flagship car.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I prefer the v8 drl dots to the continuous on the led's.
Agreed

Are they worth paying for as an option ? No ! It's just Audi showcasing a world first on its flagship car.
Thanks for those pics. I agree, I don't think they're worth that price tag. The smoked tails with amber turns are though :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the confusion!
Thank you very much R8 england, you're posting the exact pictures I need and I can't wait for the night time shots!!

If you haven't taken them yet, do you mind if you take the pictures similar to these:
Low Beam: (doesn't need to be in-car because i want to see the width of the beams projected on the wall)

And of the High Beams in the similar fashion

other examples:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a question R8 England after seeing your pictures over again.

In the Left headlamp on the lens-part, is that a black piece covering over the top part where there's a piece exposed? On the Right headlamp I don't see a little black cover. What do you think is the purpose of this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
For around $7k, I would just purchase a new set of wheels

·
Registered
313 Posts
i do have them in my V10 and they are much better and ultra bright compared to the the old V8 lights........never would like to change

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
As a led and optics fanatic I can add that in the low beam set-up, described by R8 England above, the 3 leds are first individually collimated by 3 TIR (total internal refraction) optics. These focus 3 individual beams onto the curved lens which is actually the centre part of an aspheric lens, this then produces the beam.

Optically, a very clever system!

Although the system will run cooler (all the main leds are mounted on large heat sinks) I am not convinced they consume any less power than a modern HID set-up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
As a led and optics fanatic I can add that in the low beam set-up, described by R8 England above, the 3 leds are first individually collimated by 3 TIR (total internal refraction) optics. These focus 3 individual beams onto the curved lens which is actually the centre part of an aspheric lens, this then produces the beam.

Optically, a very clever system!

Although the system will run cooler (all the main leds are mounted on large heat sinks) I am not convinced they consume any less power than a modern HID set-up.
yay another LED/optics fanatic :)

The lowbeams themselves consume 50 watts per headlight (in another article they said 44 watts though). More than HID's (45 watts) but less than Halogens (55-68 watts), but they're improving! I think when they emphasize LED's eating less energy they imply the DRL's since they only consume 6 watts in the R8

I'm just interested in pictures of the light distribution and cut-offs because all of the data is from reading and im a guy who needs to see it =P

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a question R8 England after seeing your pictures over again.

In the Left headlamp on the lens-part, is that a black piece covering over the top part where there's a piece exposed? On the Right headlamp I don't see a little black cover. What do you think is the purpose of this?
It is the angle of the light or shadow. The semi-circular glass lens on the low beam is purely a lump of glass, there is no cover on it and nothing is black.

I will take some night time pictures against a wall for you.

Ti-Mike: LED is standard on V10, but is an (expensive) option on V8.

As regards brightness, you've had your V10 longer than I have, and I haven't used mine much at night. Perhaps my eyesight is going, but if you believe LED's to be brighter, then I accept your judgement !

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is the angle of the light or shadow. The semi-circular glass lens on the low beam is purely a lump of glass, there is no cover on it and nothing is black.

I will take some night time pictures against a wall for you.

Ti-Mike: LED is standard on V10, but is an (expensive) option on V8.

As regards brightness, you've had your V10 longer than I have, and I haven't used mine much at night. Perhaps my eyesight is going, but if you believe LED's to be brighter, then I accept your judgement !
the issue is very easy to explain......the lights are much much brighter and respond much quicker and the cut off is razor blade sharp and this is the point.
As the lights on the R8 are very low and the cut off is very sharp, you have the impression that you have less light or your light adjustment is to low....with the little diffusion of the Xenon the light seems to be better distributed......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts