Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be doing it myself but if anyone has done it maybe they can shed some light on some areas of concern?
I have already wrapped my BMW 335i in the past so I have some experience

any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The bonnet will need some kind of stretch even using a1520 roll. Door cards will need removing for the doors and the roof is a pain as you'll have a great deal of wastage around the screen but other than that its actually not a bad car to wrap, just alot of stripping to get right, i wrapped 5 or 6 now and they arent as scary as the price tag would make you think

·
Registered
555 Posts

Yup! I had mine done by Niel at NDVinyls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to remove the door cards to get into the door panel to remove the wing mirrors
Oh it isn’t like the Gen 1 where you can remove the mirrors without opening the door cards? Do you have a manual of how I can remove them safely?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh it isn’t like the Gen 1 where you can remove the mirrors without opening the door cards? Do you have a manual of how I can remove them safely?
No need for a manual. Just remove the door card and it'll make sense once inside, if you are unsure og stripping without a manual id reconsider taking this job on as the car is over engineered and needs a high level of competence to strip and refit, removing the front and rear bumper to remove all grills etc for a perfect finish consist of a hell of alot of bolts, screws and clips and that alone will be hard enough if you arent to sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Won’t be remo
No need for a manual. Just remove the door card and it'll make sense once inside, if you are unsure og stripping without a manual id reconsider taking this job on as the car is over engineered and needs a high level of competence to strip and refit, removing the front and rear bumper to remove all grills etc for a perfect finish consist of a hell of alot of bolts, screws and clips and that alone will be hard enough if you arent to sure
won’t be removing the bumpers and such it’s just the mirrors. So that’s why I was asking if you had any insight on removing it to help me out

·
Registered
318 Posts
You may want to download the manuals I’ve pointed out to you earlier at this tread

They have instructions for everything...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may want to download the manuals I’ve pointed out to you earlier at this tread

They have instructions for everything...
I looked through this but couldn’t find it documenting how to remove door mirrors, do you have my insight where I should look? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
318 Posts
They are the official repair manuals, and they are logically arranged.

I would recommend starting with the directory named, very appropriately, “study”. The exterior mirrors are connected to the body, so I would look at the file named “body_exterior”. A quick look at the “contents” gives you ”Section 6 Exterior Rearview Mirror”

Other than that, until you get used to the layout of the manuals, you can also do content search on your PC. I just typed ”mirror“ on the search and the 3rd hit was body_exterior.

Good luck...

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you
Won’t be remo

won’t be removing the bumpers and such it’s just the mirrors. So that’s why I was asking if you had any insight on removing it to help me out
If you arent removing the bumpers the job is going to be sub par at best, firstly around the grill areas that should be removed but most of all the panels gapping connected rear quarters the the bumpers, the rear has a tiny tolerance and unless removed will not only look awful but will have a hige risk of water and dirt ingress resulting in failure. Theres no wat to cut corners on a wrap without it looking terrible so as a professional id advise to remove the bumpers and strip the grills before deciding to wrap or else you will likely have spent alot of time and money on what will be a dissapointing finish

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yep, Niel pretty much took my car apart for that wrap job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts