Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled forward into a parking block that I didn't realize was there and scrapped the right corner of the front bumper and pushed it in a little, as in inward, not crumpled. Its the angled portion at the bottom that connects with the plastic strip that extends along the bottom. I felt underneath, and I can feel some cracked/buckled plastic, what feels to be a loose screw, and some plastic that is present on the hit side, but not the other.

I'll probably end up just buying a new bumper because it's scuffed and scraped badly. I just hope that I didn't break anything expensive or **** up the suspension. I couldn't have hit at it more than a couple miles per hour, and it was nearly against it when it did, so it was more of a pushing motion than an impact.

The bottom of the car is nearly flat and covered with plastic paneling, right?

Anyone have pics of the underside? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Force exerted on red, feel a buckle in the blue area. Tried to push and pull on the bumper, but it didn't budge. Wonder if it pressed it, buckled an area of plastic due to a screw through both, then came right back out.

Hopefully this underbody is just flat plastic with some screws and is cheap.

There goes the $2500 I won yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Very sorry for your little shunt.

Hmmm, so do you have the parking assist on your car? Was the front assist turned on? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

(Sorry, don't know the details on what is in that area.)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very sorry for your little shunt.

Hmmm, so do you have the parking assist on your car? Was the front assist turned on? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

(Sorry, don't know the details on what is in that area.)
I do, but parking sensors aren't automatically activated unless you go into reverse. If you want to use the front sensors, you must turn them on manually, which I didn't do because I was pulling away and forgot it was there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
both very similar, R8 is a little more difficult to judge I find and a tiny bit lower but the front sensors work well. I find I regularly scrape the bottom of the front spoiler on kerb tops more so than in the 911 but the damage is superficial and not visible except from under the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did exactly the same - nudged the left front in a parking garage against a kerb and pushed the "bumper" in a little. Scraped lower part of bumper, under the crease and below sensors - still needed a new headlamp washer, bumper, lower mounting braket etc to make as good as new. Moral - kerbs are a problem if more than 4 ins high!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Force exerted on red, feel a buckle in the blue area. Tried to push and pull on the bumper, but it didn't budge. Wonder if it pressed it, buckled an area of plastic due to a screw through both, then came right back out.

Hopefully this underbody is just flat plastic with some screws and is cheap.

There goes the $2500 I won yesterday.
Motor City or MGM? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts