Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the second Gen R8 come with Apple car play? If so how's everyone's experience with it being in the instrument panel?

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my 2017 Gen 2 Plus I had to activate the Smart Phone feature which allows for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto because it was not included or offered for the 2017 Gen 2 Plus however, the 2018 Gen 2 Plus has it already activated as built.

Having shared this; it is novel and I use it periodically but the fact that it requires the iPhone be plugged makes it IMO a bit inconvenient.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CarPlay was not available for the 2017 model year. It is available for the 2018 year. CarPlay is overrated in my view. Although I read recently that Apple was going to allow apps from other competitors (such as Waze) to work with CarPlay.

·
Registered
129 Posts
CarPlay was not available for the 2017 model year. It is available for the 2018 year. CarPlay is overrated in my view. Although I read recently that Apple was going to allow apps from other competitors (such as Waze) to work with CarPlay.
You are correct; as I stated l, it was not offered or included with the 2017 Gen 2 R8 within the USA and yet the feature can be retrofit.

As for whether it is over rated or not; this IMO is subjective. I rarely use it and yet my son does all the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is what it looks like in my r8. iPhone does have to be plugged in at all time. I use it occasionally. It’s nifty. I don’t use it as much in my other cars tho.

Android Auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics! Looks awesome!

I have it on my JL wrangler and really like it! Was hoping it came on the 17’s as well.
How can it be retrofit? Dealer update?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Text to speech is nice for answering text messages in the car and the podcast app is nice. However, Apple Maps has screwed me one too many times to be trusted.

@Shadowman, how did you retrofit on 2017s?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Text to speech is nice for answering text messages in the car and the podcast app is nice. However, Apple Maps has screwed me one too many times to be trusted.

Reach out to VAG coding in UK.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
It's good for using Google maps. The built in car sat-nav is poor for planning as it only allows one stopover point.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Reach out to VAG coding in UK

Is there a link anyone can please share?

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is what it looks like in my r8. iPhone does have to be plugged in at all time. I use it occasionally. It’s nifty. I don’t use it as much in my other cars tho.

Are you talking about the audi MMI app? I haven't tried that since I got my '17 last year.
Could you please provide a little more info how you are getting apple carplay to work on your '17?

thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you talking about the audi MMI app? I haven't tried that since I got my '17 last year.
Could you please provide a little more info how you are getting apple carplay to work on your '17?

thanks
Unless your 17 is the exclusive edition, your car won’t have CarPlay in the US. It needs to be retrofitted. There’s no hardware involved, just need to buy the activation code from Audi and activate via the program.

Edit-completely unrelated to the mmi app

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's good for using Google maps. The built in car sat-nav is poor for planning as it only allows one stopover point.
Are you saying that you can use Google Maps with Apple’s CarPlay? I believe that currently Apple only allows the use of Maps (an Apple app) not Google Maps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you saying that you can use Google Maps with Apple’s CarPlay? I believe that currently Apple only allows the use of Maps (an Apple app) not Google Maps.
Yes in iOS 12 this fall. They’re allowing more 3rd party apps into CarPlay.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Good point - I'm actually using Android Auto which is also part of the Audi "Smart Phone Interface" option. Android auto permits use of google maps and it works quite well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts