Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
so how do we "enable" this "smart phone interface" on a 2017 V10+ in the USA?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the dealer do it on mine. Approx $500

·
Registered
200 Posts
It works better with android, no need yo have it plugged in etc and all apps work rather than apple bottle necking everything

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have 2018 rws, car play was not activated when purchased, but recently received letter saying that dealer is going to activate it now

·
Registered
245 Posts
Audi Dealer activated Carplay on my RWS today. Works fine, no issues with the activation.

IMG_3359.jpg

·
Registered
559 Posts
Audi Dealer activated Carplay on my RWS today. Works fine, no issues with the activation.

View attachment 238090
Great… just picked up my RWS tonight after having it done and not working...just black screen...did not show anything at all so not flickering like others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It may be tied to being Apple phone -but not the phone itself. I have a 2016 Golf R - almost zero CarPlay issues. Maybe one every few months that a simple disconnect fixes. Probably just the interface gets confused. I have a 2020 R8 and more blank screens then anything else. I believe one challenge (only in the R8) is that once you engage CarPlay you cannot do anything on the phone- you have to only use car play via the car. If I have to make a call by grabbing the number from the phone directly within minutes I get a bank screen.

Frustrating that vag can’t get the interface working across all their car lines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Frankly, I'm not terribly surprised. Ford had huge problems with Sync 3 and Android Auto. For months my phone would crash and the launcher would reset while using Android Auto. Luckily that's fixed now. Audi hasn't been terribly different. Right now I have an intermittent issue in my S3 where my phone will reboot if I'm in Android Auto and make or receive a phone call. This wasn't happening a month or two ago, but now it is. The fact that it doesn't happen across different cars tells me it's specific to the car. That and the fact that rebooting my phone won't bring Android Auto back, only restarting my car. We drive computers. They have bugs. Frankly I'm just happy the virtual ****pit hasn't crashed catastrophically (or at all).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I’m gonna need some instructions on that one. I’ve never had to do it and why wouldn’t the dealer?
....because they don't know better I suppose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a wireless adapter for CarPlay from carplay2air com so I’m no longer need to plug it in and I can use my phone while it is connected to my 17” R8 via CarPlay!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a wireless adapter for CarPlay from carplay2air com so I’m no longer need to plug it in and I can use my phone while it is connected to my 17” R8 via CarPlay!
Did you get the wired version first from Audi? I have CarPlay in my M2 Comp and 340 - I just find it so hard to believe this is such a s-show from Audi - my dealer in Seattle flat out told me it's not possible on my '17 R8.

·
Registered
291 Posts
CarPlay is possible. (Wired)

Dealer is wrong.

My 17 was done last week.

Part + Labour (1hr) cost around £380 U.K.

Does someone on the forum have the Audi part number?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you get the wired version first from Audi? I have CarPlay in my M2 Comp and 340 - I just find it so hard to believe this is such a s-show from Audi - my dealer in Seattle flat out told me it's not possible on my '17 R8.
My dealer in Cleveland had no clue also. So went to another dealer..that dealer was just as f’in dumb. So after giving them the part number and informing them as much as I could they said they could do it. The tech’s has no idea either. I can’t believe these dealers are not up to date with this type of upgrade. I believe it’s for other Audi’s also, I could possibly understand if it was just for the r8. I still never took my car in to have it activated yet, I will thou

·
Registered
898 Posts
In addition to the CARPLAY2AIR solution, RSNAV offers an Audi MMI specific solution for wireless Apple CarPlay (it does require that wired CarPlay, aka Audi SmartPhone Interface, has been activated and licensed).

21 - 40 of 56 Posts